shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mia, I can't think of any other way to incorporate the jelly without keeping it intact and in jelly form, KWIM? I have tried it and it's delicious, and the jelly/jam seems to keep the cake beautiful and moist. I think it's a winner myself!!

Lottie they are super cute!! Did you make the letters too?!? How did you do that???

rosetta, hehehe! You're a crackup, lady!!!!

Here are some cuppies I made for a friend's son's 2nd birthday party. He loves Yo Gabba Gabba, and I admittedly had absolutely no clue what that even was when his mum asked me to make these! So after a Google search I got to work, and they turned out OK! He was pleased anyway, but hey, he's 2 :bigsmile:

YoGabbaGabbaCuppies.JPG

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DandiAndi - Amazing as always! You're so meticulous! I wonder if you've ever seen rainbow cake: http://rock-ur-party.tablespoon.com/2012/03/22/teeny-tiny-rainbow-cakes/ It looks stunning, but I'm not a fan of all of the food coloring and cake mixes. I'm sure it's doable with just a regular vanilla cake. One day (not any time in the near future), I'm going to try to make one of these with natural food colors, so it will never be so colorful, but still it's a great idea! Sure looks fun for a kid party!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Well andi as you have rejected my proposal (sob, sob!) I've been forced to make my own cupcakes for the FIRST TIME EVER last weekend.

They rose, then collapsed in the middle. The tops were burnt, but the bottoms were a tad too soft.

The cream cheese frosting was yummy though!

All my cakes collapse in the middle. What am I doing wrong??

Edit: I didn't open the oven door until after the tops started to burn....

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LV! And yep, I've mad ea few rainbow cakes in my time, but nothing like that one, yikes! That looks awesome. I'm inspired now!!! :appl:

Naww rosetta, I'm sorry! 8) It sounds like your cuppies might have been up too high in the oven, are they on the middle rack?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1336599198|3191510 said:
Well andi as you have rejected my proposal (sob, sob!) I've been forced to make my own cupcakes for the FIRST TIME EVER last weekend.

They rose, then collapsed in the middle. The tops were burnt, but the bottoms were a tad too soft.

I am no expert but have you checked the temperature of your oven with an oven thermometer?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dandi I love your fondant work, so cute!! I am not that creative with fondnat and/or making things so I just stick to the basics more often than not!

Question, those caramel cuppies, need to be eaten with a spoon? They look so full and fluffy! NOM.

Love all the creative new cupcakes in here!! I've been intermittently baking...my last batch was chocolate peanut butter with a cup baked in, nom!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
rosetta said:

Are you at any sort of altitude? I'm at 5,000 feet and that's happens here if you're not careful. Basically, everything rises faster than normal and sort of peaks to early, and has nowhere to go but down. You have to adjust it by either adding more fluids or less raising agent (baking soda/powder). If that's not what's happening in your case, I agree that it could be an oven temp issue. Try using a slightly lower temp and baking for a little longer.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh Mara yum, PB and choc sounds amazing! No the caramel ones were surprisingly dense and held their shape really well, despite looking pretty squashy! :bigsmile:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:wavey: ladies.

I love this thread and am a frequent lurker, but don't usually post.

But, thanks to your awesome inspirations, I made the most amazing banana cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting today so I wanted to share.

My DS is allergic to eggs, so they are egg-free but were AMAZING and had an awesome texture. The eggs were not missed at all!

I am taking them to work tomorrow and think they will be very popular:)

CUPCAKES
• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 very ripe large bananas, peeled
• 7 oz container Fage 2 % Greek yogurt (or as my son B says, "yor-gort":)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I was out, so I used 1 tsp coconut rum and 1 tsp vanilla rum)
• 1 1/2 cup sugar (I would cut this down next time to 1 cup, maybe even 3/4 cup--also, I used half brown sugar and half white sugar)
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature (I think this could easily be cut down next time)

FROSTING
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or as much as is needed to get the consistency you want)
8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, room temperature (I used Jiff as all the recipes online said old-fashioned or freshly ground wouldn't work, but I might try those next time anyway:)
1 tsp vanilla (I used 1 tsp coconut rum)

CUPCAKES
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mash bananas, yogurt, and vanilla together (I did this in my stand mixer first and then put in another bowl while I creamed the butter and sugar). Stir or sift dry ingredients together. Alternately pour dry and wet into the creamed butter and sugar.
Bake in muffin tins at 350 for approx 20 minutes.

FROSTING
Toss everything but sugar into a mixing bowl and whip it together. Gradually add sugar and whip until desired consistency.

Oh, and I was out of cupcake liners, so I made them myself :appl: :appl: :appl: .

Fold a sheet of plain 8 1/2 x 11 paper to make an 8 1/2 X 8 1/2 square and trim off excess.

Fold 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch square of paper in half and in half again so that you have a 4 1/4 inch square stack.

trace a 4 inch circle and cut it out. (I used a ramekin, but then realized that the 8 oz tub of Philly cream cheese I was using in the frosting would work:)

take the stack of 4 circles and rest on top of a 1/4 cup measuring cup.

press a slightly smaller bottle down onto the stack so that they pleat themselves into the measuring cup. (I used a bottle of kikkoman soy sauce)

Voila! Muffin liners, put in your cupcake/muffin pan and fill as usual.

They are a little looser than standard liners, but worked great!!!! Be careful when filling that you drop the filling into the center of each tin as these can slide around while you are filling if the batter is dramatically off-center.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness Bella you are so clever, I can't believe you made your own cases! You're a legend!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I'm sure it's too much to ask a busy mum to take pics of her cupcake creations... next time just for me??? :halo: They sound AMAZING!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Haha Dandi-They looked nothing like the awesome creations on this thread, very "homemade" but they helped me get my mojo back...so I got a large star piping tip, some cute retro cupcake liners, and some pastry bags at Michaels the other day (who knew, there is a Michaels in Manhattan now!)...so the next batch should be prettier.

Mostly, I was just psyched to use my new double layer cupcake carrier :Up_to_something: LOVE IT!!!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Now I know why I always think of Mara when I buy cupcakes!! At first I thought I was confusing cupcakes with her pendant, but that just didn't seem logical.

Last night while SDL and I were eating some amazing "PubCakes", SDL reminded me that Mara started this thread.

I am now putting this thread back on ignore...gotta rock the Maui bathing suit...need to vent in Hangout about what age we are supposed to wear Mumu's in Maui instead of bathing suits.

MMmmmmmmmmm, cupcakes...nomnomnomnom Long Live the Cupcake Thread!! :appl:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amen, sista!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Enerchi, thanks for posting that, how cool! I certainly did learn a thing or two!! :appl:

Oh my goodness Haven, they are divine!!

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are amazingly talented... so much so that I'm almost discouraged from posting my latest creation -

Cookie Dough Cupcakes - the cake part is from a box (boooo) but I made the cookie dough (hiding inside) and the cookie dough flavored frosting from scratch. Theyre a mess but I was so proud of them!

_28.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG LJL, yum!!!!!!!! Give a pregnant woman some warning before you post something that looks so dang DELICIOUS! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: The tops of the cupcakes are so perfect and even!

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
ahhh! crap, dont you hate when your long posting gets lost?!

Dandi, thank you - and I wish I could decorate like you. Seeing your cakes makes me want to quit everything and bake until I can do that!

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi can i join in??

I made maple bacon cupcakes. I think my conversion from imperial to metric went wrong for the icing as it was really runny!! I think i will stick with my usual recipe for the icing from now on. The cuppies turned out beautifully though.

imag2235.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
melave, oh my, YUM! How do you do the bacon?! I've never heard of maple bacon cupcakes before, delish!!!!!! :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

melave

Shiny_Rock
Oh Thanks DA :D Not as pretty as your cupcakes. I am envious of your piping skills!!! I have not managed to master that

You drizzle the bacon with brown sugar and maple syrup and bake it in the over. It is delicious!! I tried it with some prosciutto as well, but the bacon is better.

This is the recipe i used

http://eisforeat.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/c-is-for-chocolate-covered-bacon-candy.html

But i think i converted the icing wrong, either that or i used the wrong cream cheese. It was still yummy though. I was looking for a "manly" flavour as the OH thought my rosewater and pistacio cupcakes were too girly :rolleyes:

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
wanted to post some cupcakes I've made, am I allowed to post to my blog?

dsc_7068__large__copy.jpg

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
popcorn cupcakes! I made them for a movie party

dsc_9269__small_.jpg

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
one of my faves (it's on my blog also)

dsc_2647__small__copy.jpg

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
this is the last one I promise but i love cupcakes so I love making them. and I live near Georgetown cupcakes YUM
anyway these were meatloaf cupcakes with whipped potatoes as icing for my kids for April Fool's day
I made dessert sushi,

dsc_1004__large__copy.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hungry and bored, so I thought I'd resurrect one of my all time favourite (almost extinct) threads with a pic of some of the 110 cupcakes I made this week for a wedding :bigsmile:

Is anyone else still cupcakeing these days??

279484142_10159742693339687_6588324372952588137_n.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a baker but I made these cupcakes for my grandchild.
AB3F0289-B276-4CF5-8B07-0046EBD0C829.png

Oh my goodness, these are adorable!! My kids would go nuts for these! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results