shape
carat
color
clarity

The brooch thread

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia, I forgot to mention that I think the fruit fly pin idea is ingenious! I'm all for it!
Maybe you could have an actual fruit fly scaled up and printed with a 3D printer, which could then be stylized for a scientific aesthetic ad then cast in metal.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream is to make a fruit fly brooch. In memory to the geneticists ...

How about The Pea ?

Art Nouveau did the respective flower so very well ... & then, there are all the jadeite pods around; I suspect that the two models rarely come together - although they certainly do fit.

Somewhat on a whim ...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia, I forgot to mention that I think the fruit fly pin idea is ingenious! I'm all for it!
Maybe you could have an actual fruit fly scaled up and printed with a 3D printer, which could then be stylized for a scientific aesthetic ad then cast in metal.

Well, I did look for the fruit flies... as long as I do not insist on absolute accuracy, lol, it may work out. They have huge red eyes, and I have two small rubies, and one hot pink sapphire. They might match. (And if I don't find anything, I can always use two tsavorites - some of the fruit flies have green eyes. I was joking that now when molecular biologists learned how to change the eye color of the fruit flies, I could even do one green and one red, lol).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about The Pea ?

Art Nouveau did the respective flower so very well ... & then, there are all the jadeite pods around; I suspect that the two models rarely come together - although they certainly do fit.

Somewhat on a whim ...

Yes, and one could make a pistil out of a pearl... This is an interesting idea.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a bee pendant I made with Mexican fire opal and a pearl.
Some cretin once asked me if it was a fly.....grrrrr :x2 1501122022988-2080522047.jpg

Love fire opals, the pearl looks perfect, and altogether, what an interesting pendant!

(And you just smiled at the nasty guy and said, "honey, it's a bee", right? ;-) )

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valeria, that pea brooch is SO sensual! What gentle colors and forms, with a robustness of being. I hope you don't mind, but it's too beautiful not to be posted! And a great site for antique pieces. Love this humble looking fly and the super flyer, streamlined butterfly!!
IMG_3889.jpg IMG_3888.jpg IMG_3890.PNG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz SJP is quite the institution ... I sure did get lost into a search for 'pearl' while looking for the pea ,-)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz SJP is quite the institution ... I sure did get lost into a search for 'pearl' while looking for the pea ,-)
Oh yes...I'm getting very lost in this site! I'll be visiting Lang's Antiques in San Francisco soon, which is like a jewelry museum through the ages. I can spend hours at places like that just studying stones and designs!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fly and the butterfly are TDF! As to the pea, I saw something similar being sold here, somewhat cheaper (these peas must have been popular in their time). I love pansy and iris brooches, too!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some 'critter' brooches that I made from sterling silver. I dabble in silversmithing. They all have clutch backs.(so hard to photograph silver!) IMG_20170726_191242829_HDR.jpg

Wow, those are very nice stracci2000. I'd say you do more than dabble!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci- what a beautiful Wedgwood brooch! Not only is is beautiful the condition of the brooch is fantastic!

Arkteia -Your amethyst brooch is so lovely and I love the shape and details in the gold. I can only imagine how a chromium diopside will enhance that beauty and bring an extra element of elegance.

Catmom- You have a stunning collection of brooches and pins. I so love dragonflies so that one stands out for me among your other gorgeous pieces. You have such an eye for color.

Aww, thank you LisaRN! My "eye" gets me into trouble. I usually walk into a store and the one item I pick out will invariably be the most expensive piece, lol.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a museum piece. Amazing.

Thank you so much! By far my favorite one. Hubby says it "spoke to him" so he had to get it. I like it when jewelry speaks to him. LOL

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
with my ugly temp camera...A diamond and ruby antique brooch. I don't know if ruby is real or synthetic as synthetics were often used in period jewelry, and never tested it, it was sold as natural but it is the piece that attracts me. It is delicately milgrained and has clean lines. So sorry for poor shots! 20170726_095331.jpg 20170726_095627.jpg 20170726_095800.jpg

Oh that is absolutely awesome! I love the tiny milgraining. Beautiful!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a bee pendant I made with Mexican fire opal and a pearl.
Some cretin once asked me if it was a fly.....grrrrr :x2 1501122022988-2080522047.jpg

Very cool! LOL reminds me of a story about my fancy light yellow diamond ring. I had a FLY ring listed on my jewelry want list and after about 3 or 4 times at looking at my list hubby finally asked me why on earth I would want a fly ring. Hahahahahahahahaha

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! LOL reminds me of a story about my fancy light yellow diamond ring. I had a FLY ring listed on my jewelry want list and after about 3 or 4 times at looking at my list hubby finally asked me why on earth I would want a fly ring. Hahahahahahahahaha

I've wanted a pair of high karat gold fly earrings for sometime from a jeweler in our city. My husband is less than enthusiastic about the idea because he hates flies lol! He cannot understand why I would want them. I've given up trying to justify the aesthetic beauty since he cannot get over the fact that they are flies! Flies can be gross in life but are generally wonderful in jewelry!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fly and the butterfly are TDF! As to the pea, I saw something similar being sold here, somewhat cheaper (these peas must have been popular in their time). I love pansy and iris brooches, too!

True enough: there seems to be an army of these enamel flowers in the trade - many get recycled into modern pieces (anklets anyone ? - SJP did some with such flowers, once & the stuff made news... ).

I suspect that the original design for P is by Vever.

____

Love your bar pin !

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg
I've wanted a pair of high karat gold fly earrings for sometime from a jeweler in our city. My husband is less than enthusiastic about the idea because he hates flies lol! He cannot understand why I would want them. I've given up trying to justify the aesthetic beauty since he cannot get over the fact that they are flies! Flies can be gross in life but are generally wonderful in jewelry!

Art nouveau maybe had this underlying idea that jewelry should reflect life...in architecture, Gaudi did the same. His Sagrada Familia has intertwined trees, and flowers... all functional.

But take Faberge, for example. His style was opulent, and heavy, but yet on the day in 1905 the first Russian Revolution, Faberge made this piece, the proletarian's breakfast... Sold at a princely sum now!
From the linked blog: "The stone-cut jeweled still life depicts a leftover breakfast plate with a fried egg (made from amber and white enamel), two fish (silver — one whole, one just a skeleton), a glass of vodka (rock crystal), cigarette butts (quartz and silver), and a newspaper (silver) from 18 October 1905 — the day the Tsar signed the October Manifesto in an attempt to quell unrest in Russia by granting the people various civil liberties and democratic reforms."

See picture...I think a fly looks great, lol!
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/11/27/a-different-kind-of-faberg-egg/

I took a screenshot from a public place where it has been posted and where I shall not be accused of copyright (too sad - everyone copies public originals to their blogs and then says that reproducing is a copyright infringement!) and am adding it

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here it is Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here it is Screenshot_20170729-111524.jpg
Gosh this realism is increadible! Yes Art nouveau was fill of nature as function, full of grace and beauty. This piece from faberge expresses a new consciousness brought by the new self awareness of the proletariat class of people.there is so much power and rugged symbolism in this work of art. I have a book about Faberge, but I don't remember having seen this piece. This reaches a very high art level. What a precursor! Thank you so much for showing it!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh this realism is increadible! Yes Art nouveau was fill of nature as function, full of grace and beauty. This piece from faberge expresses a new consciousness brought by the new self awareness of the proletariat class of people.there is so much power and rugged symbolism in this work of art. I have a book about Faberge, but I don't remember having seen this piece. This reaches a very high art level. What a precursor! Thank you so much for showing it!
yes, showed it one time too many, lol! (Sorry).
I do not know why this piece had never been mentioned before its purchase. I don't know who even bought it. BTW, I saw (and made photo) of the last, unfinished, egg made by Faberge - the Tzar abducted in 1917 in February, I think, before the Easter, so it was never finished. It is kept in Fersman's museum of mineralogy and one can easily miss it. I think it was meant for either the Tsarina or the Tsesarevich Alexei. What i want to say is that the fate of Faberge creations was very different. Nine of the eggs are now in Faberge museum in St. Petersburg, and I assume the Buckingham Palace hosts the largest collection of Faberge.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... the fate of Faberge creations was very different. Nine of the pect of eggs are now in Faberge museum in St. Petersburg, and I assume the Buckingham Palace hosts the largest collection of Faberge.

Digressing,

Faberge ...

The 'Ice' series has much to do with my love for rock crystal (the other wild enabler be Belperron). I sure will remember what Wartski made of their latest show of these, with one pendant magnified on a street banner & still amazing in detail, besides the now obvious architectural sing-song of proportions.

What times must have been - that the designer simply quit, once safely in Finland.

History.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
trying to revive it...

this is a simple brooch - was a $10.00 dollar brooch bought in an antique store. I replaced the stone with amethyst from Dana. Simple. Screenshot_20170809-132932.jpg
So pretty!! A great job and a beautiful size. It's very gemmy.

Ive been thinking about the thread as I've seen some gorgeous, antique brooches in San Francisco. I'll try to start taking some pictures.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It is not only lavender, some kind of pearls, right?

Amazingly beautiful!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It is not only lavender, some kind of pearls, right?

Amazingly beautiful!

Yes, I believe those are petal Keshi pearls, and black coral. The other one has rubies/ purple sapphires! I am really impressed by the softness achieved in these, and by the colors.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is true art.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
when I was in Czech republic, I saw real Bohemian garnets in a museum. They made me drop my camera. The glow! These old, poorly cut spessartites (they were spessartites, not pyropes), in a primitive brooch, had incredible color and glow. So I was looking for an old brooch and found in in an antique store. It has pyropes and is nothing like old stones in the museum's, but it glows, too. Not just sparkles like modern items do. It is antique. 20170811_233311.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results