shape
carat
color
clarity

The best the online stores have to offer, the best I can find at a B&M, could use some help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
So, I have this first stone in hand from an online vendor, its absolutely gorgeous, its an AGS 000, cut a little deep with a smallerish table but the fire out of the stone is amazing and thats pretty much my top criterea --- the white light return on the stone is no slouch either. There is a white feathery inclusion off to the side, so the stone is pretty much a VVS candidate in my opinion.... I went to a well respected local jeweler and asked them to give me a comperable stone (if they could). They gave me the second stone, and its about 1800 bux cheaper, has similar performance in the jewelry store lighting - halogens, otti-lites (to my untrained eye), and it is a little bit bigger, which is nice. The first has H&A enscribed on the girdle, and the second one is a H&A pattern but I don''t own a IS so I can''t compare them in this regard. The top one has an excellent IS with no leakage. Could anyone offer some advice as to what would be a good idea to do? I really like the fact that the first stone is cleaner and whiter -- perhaps its a mindclean thing to me... but both stones perform nicely and the second stone is bigger... is .25mm visibly larger if you''re standing a foot away? The first stone has an HCA of 1.2, and the second stone from the B&M is a 1.0. I am having a hard time giving up the first one as it just explodes with color under most types of lighting but the second one is also very nice. I''ve done some comparable searching online and I think the B&M isn''t making much money at all on the second stone, at most 500 bucks (which is fine with me!)

1) Online stone --- 1.41 Carats, G, vs1, ideal cut H&A, AGS000, HCA 1.2, Cost: ~12,900.00
Table: 54.63%
Depth: 62.42%
Crown Angle: 34.63
Pavilion Angle: 40.77
7.15 mm wide
outstanding megascope, gemex scores

2) B&M Stone — 1.54 Carats, H, vs2, EGL “excellent” H&A pattern but not inscribed on girdle, HCA 1.0, ~11,100.00

Measurements:
Table 58%
Depth 61.3%
Crown 14%
Pavilion 43%
7. 41 mm wide

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Besides the fact that it sounds like you like the first one a bit more, the second one is an EGL. Which means it may or may not be what the cert says it is as far as color and clarity.

I''d go with the first.
2.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 1:40:55 PM
Author: Ellen
Besides the fact that it sounds like you like the first one a bit more, the second one is an EGL. Which means it may or may not be what the cert says it is as far as color and clarity.

I''d go with the first.
2.gif
Yes, thats what I was thinking --- EGL certs are known to be a little soft on color and not as strict as AGS when compared on clarity either... its just that to be honest I can''t tell a huge difference (in the jewelry store lighting) between the two stones. I''m afraid of returning the one I have, and getting the B&M stone because its a bit bigger and then realizing that it just simply doesn''t have the performance the AGS one does. I think you''re right Ellen..... thanks again for your help!!

I will of course post pictures once its all completed!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 1:40:55 PM
Author: Ellen

I''d go with the first.
2.gif
Ditto - I think it is your best bet.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 2:29:47 PM
Author: kev_800

I will of course post pictures once its all completed!
You''re welcome, and we''ll be waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results