shape
carat
color
clarity

The best small wedding you've ever been to?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My friend (an ecology major who did marine biology research and is now college professor) got married at an aquarium with about 50 guests. The ceremony was in front of a big floor-to-ceiling tank with sea turtles and all kinds of fish swimming around. It was the coolest thing ever! Some of the exhibits were also open during the reception, so when we got bored and tired of dancing, we could wander through the aquarium and see some fish. That was definitely the most memorable wedding I've been to, big or small.

Another one of my friends got married in a remote location in the mountains of Colorado, at 9300 feet of elevation, with horse-drawn carriages bringing the guests up into a clearing in the mountains. This was a special place to her because it was where she went to retreats with her Taoist/Tai Chi master. The ceremony was done in English by her Taoist priest using all Chinese traditions (tea ceremony, red envelopes, naming and toasting to the ancestors, etc.). The reception was more of a typical American wedding with dancing, cake cutting, etc. I think she had about 60 guests - actually on the big side for a destination wedding.

Another had about 20 guests at a historic hotel in New Orleans (she went to Tulane). The short ceremony (that I officiated after becoming ordained online) with a live jazz trio playing the processional and recessional music was followed by a cocktail hour with more live jazz music and then dinner, which was at tables arranged in a square so everyone could see each other. There was no dancing but TONS of great food.

What you'll notice as a theme throughout these weddings is the inclusion of personal touches. Use a venue that's special to you in some way, personalize the ceremony and reception, and invite only who you really want to be there!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
We're having a small wedding, 20 people including us. Can't wait! It's going to be at a gorgeous restaurant that serves amazing food that is special to FI and I. Immediate family and our closest friends only. Part of me is a little worried about how everything will turn out and if it'll be "fun enough" for everyone, but then I shrug it off and remember that this is what I want and it's going to be lovely no matter what.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I totally didn't realize this was an old thread and I had already replied! Anyway, the wedding I described in my first post was the third wedding of my later post. Oops!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
sparkle-magpie|1325704150|3095029 said:
We're planning our wedding. Our guest list is about 60. We do not have a date or a venue because I don't know what kind of feel we should be going for...? Tell me about an awesome and memorable wedding with 40 guests or under? I'm so worried and anxious. :(sad

Not sure how late I am, but I got news for you. IT'S YOUR WEDDING! We also had a small wedding with about 80 at the ceremony and took a little less than half to the reception. Literally just our family and immediate family. We paid for our own wedding at age 22, we had about 3k for the whole thing. It just wasn't possible to invite all the 300 people my parents wanted. The thing is, who cares what other people think. This is your time, not theirs! Do what feels right to you! You can't please the whole world. When they ask, you just say it was an intimate ceremony with family members etc and that's it. It's special to you and that's all that matters. And 40 people for dancing is more than plenty and the big mansion, more enjoyable for all of you. You need to relax and stop worrying about things that shouldn't matter to you at a time like this. This is the fun part! So have fun and be with the people you love. Good luck to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results