shape
carat
color
clarity

The average e-ring diamond size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 11:34:18 AM
Author: Cath
Yup, TP -- go Falcons!
9.gif
It is a little embarrassing -- DH still teases me about it. He tells people ''Oh, well, she went to a FANCY high school...''

I knew it--I''ve never seen another public school like it. Have you seen all the recent additions? It''s ridiculous!!! Also, there was an article in the paper saying the average cost of cars given to 16-year-olds at TP is $40,000 and several kids have more than one car (an SUV AND a sports car). I graduated in ''95 (it''s time for my 10 year reunion!) and things were much different then. I was just happy getting a new car!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2005 10:42:54 AM
Author: researcher
Just as women get embarrassed when their rings are too small, it can also be uncomfortable when your stone is too big.

Yes. Although not a large ring by Pricescope standards, I bought a 2.10 carat diamond and had it set in a ring several years ago. I was embarassed when I wore it so I decided to have it made into a pendant. I have grown more accustomed to what I consider "large" diamonds now, and feel I could wear a diamond that size, but it felt "not me" then and still might feel that way now.

I also wear CZ earrings on an every day basis that are far smaller than the larger of my two sets of diamond studs. I almost never wear any other jewelry than a plain gold wedding band and a Timex wristwatch (classic, small, goldtone). If I go to a special occasion I may wear some of the gold and diamond jewelry I really love, but do not sport casually. Maybe I have unknown Japanese ancestry.

Deborah, who knows why she is so in love with the Sheldon Speyer Mini Mania rings!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2005 11:42:13 AM
I was just happy getting a new car!
9.gif

JUST getting a new car? I got my first new car last year at age...well, never mind that! And furthermore, my husband says it was a great waste of money and we will "never do THAT again"!

Deb, the used car queen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 11:39
6.gif
2 AM
That chart is great, Leonid!
Looks like the average is right around a carat these days!
It surely does
1.gif

SoldCaratRanges_2005_03.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 11:11:11 AM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 4/25/2005 10:24:58 AM
Author: Julian
So do people (most women) size up each others'' rings at parties and family gatherings? 

Of course women do, just like they size up clothes, hair, makeup, weight, personality, etc. Women are very catty. More often than once Greg observes a gal looking at me multiple times, then looking at him, then back at me a few more times. I never seem to notice...hehe.

But last nite we were having a quickie Chili''s dinner (love the buffalo chicken salad!) and there was a group of twenty-something''s next to us, I felt like they kept looking us and then I saw a ring on one of the girls'' finger...and it looked smaller but very sparkly (that Chili''s lighting is great for diamonds!) and then I realized that I was gesturing with my ring hand and using it to drink my coke etc so I bet she/they were staring at my ring. It''s times like that when I realize my new 1.6c stone is NOT small especially with the help of that bling lighting that some restaurants have. Add the melee and it''s probably a fireball from 10 feet away.

Anyway I have never had anyone give me a dirty look re: my ring or anything, but I think just as women size each other up in general, that includes things like diamonds and esp RINGS, especially if the other gal is not engaged/married and wants to be. Just my experience.

Oh and of course because *I* am diamond psycho, I notice EVERY ring people have on, earrings, and necklaces too.
9.gif
Not for judgement but rather....OOOH!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2005 11:34:18 AM
Author: Cath
Yup, TP -- go Falcons!
9.gif

I had to look it up...didn't know where in California the town of Rancho Santa Fe was located or what "TP" stood for. (It's "Torrey Pines" for anyone else who is uninitiated.) Here is a link to a website that describes this little hamlet!

website

Deborah

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I hate that sarcasm doesn''t come across on forums (my comment about JUST having a new car)! I just think some people are ridiculous these days, especially here. Obviously, I was spoiled growing up so I can''t really talk. I did have a corporate job beginning at age 16 though (I worked from after school until 6 PM during the school year and full-time during ALL, yes ALL, breaks) so I feel as though I worked hard for that car unlike most of my friends. And, I even had to take out more money than I care to think about for student loans for undergrad and grad school (that''s what 9 years of private school does for you). Having worked full time along with school until it came time to write my dissertation, I''ve luckily come away from things better than most. What was my point? Oh, yeah. I grew up surrounded by insane wealth (a few of my friend''s families are on the richest people in the world list) but was not really one of the wealthy ones. My parents have done well for themselves, but most of our family is middle middle class. So, I find myself in a strange place--stuck between the extremely wealthy and the average person. At least I don''t have too many people in my life who are "all about money" or people who are completely jealous of what I do have!!!

BTW, maybe you do have unknown Japanese ancestry, AGBF!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am 30 and still have never had a new car!! It''s so hard for me to want car payments...I could drive around a crapbox forever if it meant I didn''t have to pay a car payment and could instead purchae diamonds!
9.gif
However, old car is on it''s last legs soon so this year I will probably be forced to get something new and fairly cute (but cheap!)
9.gif

re: San Francisco and NYC...I agree both coasts probably have larger diamonds than the rest of the nation...higher cost of living as well. We live slightly inland in the Silicon Valley, away from the fog and water and the diamonds here are smaller as well, if SF''s average is larger. But I also think it''s the circles you travel in. aka if you attend charity benefits, you are going to have big stones regardless and may not wear them daily but they are there.

I will also say that alot of my friends don''t think much of ''diamonds'' aka the girls are not like ''wow I can''t wait to get engaged and get a 2c ring!''...though with my bad influence they are starting to change, one of my tomboy friends just bought a diamond letter necklace and I helped my other single gf find a really amazing diamond RHR on SignedPieces for a great deal.
9.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
We should take into account, however, distribution of the stones available on the market...

AvailCarat_2005_04.gif

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Researcher, I am almost positive I know you but I don''t want to pursue that because I like to remain anonymous online...anyway, I hope you don''t feel the need to defend yourself here. I got your sarcasm.
1.gif
And I can say that you are a very nice, down to earth person! Enjoy the reunion -- I wish I could attend but it is a very bad time of the year for me work-wise.

Yes, AGBF, it is a nice little hamlet.
1.gif

RE: sizing up, I don''t think ALL women size each other up, but it definitely happens and women can be very catty. But men size each other up too, just on cars instead of diamonds.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Leonid,
Does the distribution of stones reflect buying habits or vice versa? Are there studies that show if the relationship is directional? Also, does the distribution of stones fluctuate much month-to-month or does the month of April pretty much reflect an average month?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 12
6.gif
7:28 PM
Author: Mara
But last nite we were having a quickie Chili''s dinner (love the buffalo chicken salad!) and there was a group of twenty-something''s next to us, I felt like they kept looking us and then I saw a ring on one of the girls'' finger...and it looked smaller but very sparkly (that Chili''s lighting is great for diamonds!) and then I realized that I was gesturing with my ring hand and using it to drink my coke etc so I bet she/they were staring at my ring. It''s times like that when I realize my new 1.6c stone is NOT small especially with the help of that bling lighting that some restaurants have. Add the melee and it''s probably a fireball from 10 feet away.

Also, the Edwards movie theatre lobbies are GREAT for sparkling diamonds!!! Mine dazzled yesterday when we went to see "The Interpreter." And yes...I did see younger girls (in their 20s) checking out my ring too...and not in a bad way (like Mara was stating)...just as a comparison of their maybe 1/2 carat to my TCW (between my e-ring &w-band) of 2.26...it probably seemed HUGE to them...

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Cath~
It''s such a small world, isn''t it? I actually don''t know if I''ll be able to make it to the reunion either as my wedding is in August (I''m marrying a fellow TP grad from the class of ''93)! I''m hoping to attend, but even if I can''t I know I will run into people at the Plaza! Oh, and no worries about remaining anonymous--I''m the same way
1.gif

jlc0604

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 10:24:58 AM
But do people really notice engagement rings that much?
I do. I''ve always had a thing for diamonds, so I tend to notice other women''s rings. But I do get embarrassed and try to not get caught looking. I don''t want the wearer to think that I''m one of those women that is comparing or sizing them up based on their ring. I just love seeing different types of rings so they always catch my attention!

But I think there are definetly plenty of women that look to basically ''size you up''. I don''t have a diamond yet, but I still get women eyeing me from head to toe, taking in what kind of shoes I''m wearing, are my clothes designer, what my boyfriend looks like, etc. These same types are the ones I assume will be judging me based on my e-ring when I get it. But, to h*ll with them. I picked my e-ring because I love it and it fits me, not to show off or to make other people jealous.

As for the average diamond sales charts, wouldn''t that be different from the average engagement ring size - because not all diamond sales go into e-ring? I imagine a number of the smaller sizes would be made into earrings, pendents, right-hand rings, etc. Or is that a very small percentage of diamond sales?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Leonid, are those just loose stones? Is the chart representative of what the retailer''s are buying or consumers?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 12
6.gif
7:28 PM
Of course women do, just like they size up clothes, hair, makeup, weight, personality, etc. Women are very catty. More often than once Greg observes a gal looking at me multiple times, then looking at him, then back at me a few more times. I never seem to notice...hehe.

Anyway I have never had anyone give me a dirty look re: my ring or anything, but I think just as women size each other up in general, that includes things like diamonds and esp RINGS, especially if the other gal is not engaged/married and wants to be. Just my experience.
This happens to me far too often. . . it pisses me off mostly because I've had to start hidding what I own from other family members. Most of these ladies are sweet, but they don't like to spend money on jewelery, so them and I clash a bit on this subject.

We went to the Macacroni Grill yesterday with the family and I contemplated whether or not it would be appropriate to wear my diamonds under such enhancing lighting and determined, while styling my hair, that it'd be better to just wear my wedding set. My husband's cousin kept eyeing my ring since it was freshly cleaned and extra firey. . .I think she's going to become engaged soon and hopefully she's given a larger diamond than me so the heat will be taken off me and I can actually WEAR my fun stuff outside in public! lol

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I went home to watch my sibblings for my parents in October. While there I went to my younger siblings halloween play/concert, they are four so yea....its really more organized chaos and cute kids in coustumes.
emsmilep.gif
However I couldnt help but notice the rings these mommies were sporting. My mother is among the older moms beucase she my eldest sister is 24, the average in between 28-38 somewhere in there. However the average diamond size would be 5 or six carats and then they have their wedding rings on as well. WOW its bliding. And of course they had on diamond studs, tennis braclets, expesive watches and neclaces...while holding the family video camera and dressed in track clothing. It made me laugh. Sadly for my dear BF I have been noticing rings ever since. And some girls look just to look, why not diamond are soo lovely!
But some look and make a face or a nasty comment. We went out and though my mothers ring is small in terms of the school in the real world it isnt. I heard a tennager in line behind my mother at the outlets comment on the fact that my mother must have married for money and must be a trophy wife
29.gif
. Uh hello she is, well I wont say beucase I fear death, but they have been married for 26 years and she is older then my father. I shot the girl a look and then went to stand next to my mother, whom I decided not to tell becuase I wasnt sure if she would be happy that someone thought she looked young enough/ good enough to be a trophy or if it would hurt her that people see her that way becuase she has a little person. I have to say I do worry about the youngest girl growing up there...I would hate to have to shot her for being catty about such things.
11.gif

I think it is fine to look and even give compliments to people you dont know. I start up conversations with strangers nearly everytime I get on a plane.
2.gif
If you are polite about it look all you want. Others like to hear that they have a noteworthy peice. I love it when you say something nice, particruly to an elderly lady and they blush and get all flustered. Compliments cant hurt.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2005 12:14:47 PM
I am 30 and still have never had a new car!! It's so hard for me to want car payments...I could drive around a crapbox forever if it meant I didn't have to pay a car payment and could instead purchae diamonds!
9.gif
However, old car is on it's last legs soon so this year I will probably be forced to get something new and fairly cute (but cheap!)
9.gif

Mara
you got to get yourself a BMW M3 convertible with the top down and when the sun light hits your ring
10.gif
30.gif
but look out, you might cause alot of accidents.
31.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 12:31
6.gif
9 PM
Leonid,
Does the distribution of stones reflect buying habits or vice versa? Are there studies that show if the relationship is directional? Also, does the distribution of stones fluctuate much month-to-month or does the month of April pretty much reflect an average month?
I think availability of the goods is determined by the profits and desirability. As you can see, there are very few diamonds just below the magic numbers and then we see sharp jump at the round numbers.

There might be more sales of say 0.95-0.99ct diamonds if they would be available as much as 1.ct.

1ct is more desirable for many buyers therefore cutters try to produce these goods and get more profit. Furthermore, 1ct is easier to find than 0.95ct so we see more 1ct diamonds sold. Chicken and the egg…

I didn’t do any studies of that kind before. There should be some fluctuation of course because of availability, price variations, economic situation, etc.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 1:37:51 PM
Author: fire&ice
Leonid, are those just loose stones? Is the chart representative of what the retailer's are buying or consumers?
Yes, loose stones. The data are based on the certified diamonds listed in the Interent. There might be different stats for B&M or mall stores.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the clarification! I love your charts and insight into the world of diamonds!!! I have learned so much from you and the other knowledgeable PS members
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 6:55:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I love your charts and insight into the world of diamonds!!! I have learned so much from you and the other knowledgeable PS members
1.gif
Oh, c''mon! It is not a rocket science
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2005 11:36:30 AM

Date: 4/25/2005 10:46:26 AM
Oh, I didn't mean anything by that researcher -- I was genuinely curious.

Your ring is lovely and enormous. Mine is smaller than yours, but I understand what you mean. Sometimes I hide my hand when someone is praising someone's ring in my company. I hate it when the wearer says something like, 'You should see Julian's -- it's bigger!' Bigger isn't necessarily better, just different and I don't want anyone to feel bad because of my e-ring. It's just a ring!!!
41.gif

I didn't take any offense to what you wrote. I'm not someone who is always comparing my ring to every around me (I think my ring is absolutely the perfect size for me and could care less if those around me have bigger or smaller rings (I fall into the 'just right' group IMO)), but when people are wearing 5+ carat stones they're kinda hard to miss!
31.gif
researcher
WOW !!! you live in the land of the GIANTS.
23.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Lord I hope I dont end up there....I would be a green eyed monster.

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
Today, in Newsweek, there was a brief article about engagement ring size. Paraphrasing, it said that 1 carat used to be standard, but more people are going bigger due to "discount" diamond sellers like BlueNile, the coverage of celebrity engagement, and people getting married later, meaning they have more income to buy a ring. Quite a timely article in regards to this discussion!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
So 1 ct is the big seller, but how many of those actually show like 1 ct diamonds? I think on here we take for granted that everything would have ideal cuts and proportions. Half of those could be 1ct in weight, but have a spread of something much less (or more!).

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2005 9:43:23 AM
Author: njc
So 1 ct is the big seller, but how many of those actually show like 1 ct diamonds? I think on here we take for granted that everything would have ideal cuts and proportions. Half of those could be 1ct in weight, but have a spread of something much less (or more!).

Like you said, if PSers bought the 1 carat stone, then it'll look like a 1 carat (or even more!!) But you're righ about the rest of the world....
2.gif

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
according to Martin Rappaport about 10 years ago the average engagement ring sold in the US is a .43 ct. round, K color SI1. His other statement was: thank god for sex, guilt and christmas or we wouldn''t have a jewelry industry.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Julian,

I can quite honestly say that I have had store assistants in NYC check out my ring (1.3 carats) and proceed to give me bad service. I thought I was imagining it the first time, but it''s happened plenty since then, particularly in Bergdorf''s and the other upscale department stores.

It used to really bother me but now it makes me chuckle. My husband and I own a fab Soho loft and plan to buy a second home in two years. We''re 28 and 32, respectively, and if people jump to conclusions about our finances based on my blimmin'' e-ring, they, as we say in England, want their bumps feeling
41.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 6:50:23 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 4/25/2005 1:37:51 PM
Author: fire&ice
Leonid, are those just loose stones? Is the chart representative of what the retailer''s are buying or consumers?
Yes, loose stones. The data are based on the certified diamonds listed in the Interent. There might be different stats for B&M or mall stores.
Ah - not to be the party pooper - but this would make the whole "average" skewed. I would imagine that 1. most smaller stones weren''t certified - thus not in your sampling. 2. also, the smaller stones would tend to not be listed on the internet - thus not in your sales sampling.

I kind of thought this is where the "average" stats came from. I''m still in the dark as it seems the true average is very illusive.

It is interesting to note that *perhaps* one can draw the conclusion that the internet buyer is in a higher playing field (i.e. greater stone size - i.e. greater price budget).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results