shape
carat
color
clarity

The appraisers list on Pricescope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I reviewed the list today and was pleased with how many of these folks would rate right at the top in terms of prefessionalism and good reputation. I am privileged to have met many of them and I know quite a few of them on a much more personal basis. This is one of the finest groups of appraisers that could be compiled for the benefit of consumers. You just never have to buy blindly.

A special thanks to Leonid who has made this forum the best on the subject among any I have ever found on the Internet. It never ceases to amaze me how many people this site has helped.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks David
1.gif
But you also share responsibility for this.

Remember your first email over 3 years ago correcting me about origin of the AGA grading system? That time back I though it was developed by GIA...

1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hey........(casting a suspicious look) .........WHO do you work for?

Do you work for GOG?

What is your MOTIVE? (laughing hysterically now).

Relax, Dave.
2.gif
I know you're one of the good guys.....I'm just feeling a little like a wiseguy at the moment. It indeed IS nice to see how many people have been helped here, and how much so many of us have learned here ourselves. It's a great place to be.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of a good appraiser in Hawaii (on Oahu)? There are no Hawaii appraisers on the Pricescope list as well as on several other "Appraiser Lists."

Hopefully this is not against the rules:
To all the vendors on this site, have you ever sent a diamond to an appraiser in Hawaii for "final approval" before the customer had to decide/buy it?
If a customer were to ask you to send it to "appraiser X" in Hawaii, who you had no previous experience with, would you be able to verify their credentials through your industry resources?

Although I would trust Dave Atlas (I just got my diamond tools kit from him in the mail - thanks!) or Richard Sherwood's opinion (I've been "lurking" here for quite a while), I like to see things in person before buying.

I previously was planning on buying a diamond at the SF jewelry mart next month, when I was looking at RBs. Now that my g/f has made known her preference for a square, and since I'm only going to be in SF for 2 days, I'm not as confident that I will be able to find something there in a few hours (I'm kind of picky!). So internet may be the way to go for me ...

Thanks for your help!
2.gif

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hey Rich,
Thanks for the kind offer!
2.gif

We have 5 “Jewelry Appraisers” listed in the yellow pages. Three of them are jewelry stores; one Graduate Gemologist lists “certified diamonds and gemstones” and “custom designs” in his ad (that disqualifies him as “independent,” right?); and the last one is “AAA Gem Registry & Identification,” which hopefully might check out okay.

Boy, what I wouldn’t give for Steve Ausin’s bionic eye!

btw, I cooked up my login/avatar to throw off my g/f if she happened across this site. The cat is out of the bag now, though, so I guess I can sign off as myself.

Craig
Closing in on 10 posts!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Try Karl Nakamura. He is a qualified appraiser located in Hawaii.

If you cannot locate him, I will find out how to do this for you.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the recommendation and for the cool diamond tools kit! My g/f and I have analyzed that cz to death!
2.gif

Anyway, Karl Nakamura is the GG listing "certified diamonds" and "award winning custom designs" in his yellow pages ad. So from what I've been reading here on the forum, that would make him "not" independent.

If I do purchase over the internet, I would probably only consider companies I "knew" through this forum (GOG, NiceIce and Whiteflash) and feel fairly confident that the goods are as represented. Would the best strategy be to ask him to evaluate the diamond without the certificate, and let him know I would want to discuss/compare his appraisal with the certificate after? Or is this just asking for trouble?

Thanks for your help!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl understands how to be "independent" when the hjob requires objectivity. Many times no one truly independent exists in an area, but a qualified and honest appraiser will know what ethcis dictate. Wearing two distinct hats is something a good appraiser must learn to do.

Besides, you will find him a very nice guy and probably helpful to know for future items, too.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the recommendation! Karl had the nicest yellow pages ad, anyway!
2.gif

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results