shape
carat
color
clarity

The 14k/18k white gold can of worms

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vsol

Rough_Rock
I''ve spent time researching the internet and the PS forums and I''m still confused... So I''m hoping maybe I''ll get lucky by bringing it up again =)

I''m about to purchase a cheap setting for my gf''s ering. I know I should get something not so cheap but we''re starving college students =) I have a choice between 14k and 18k white gold. I want to reduce the chance of the prongs snapping or something else going wrong as much as possible. I have no problem with the ring not holding up over the years because I intend on upgrading the setting when we can. But I am getting a very nice sapphire custom cut for it and do not want to lose it from having a prong snap off. I should point out my gf can be clumsy. Is it the case that 18k will not snap as much as 14k? Or is it the case the softer 18k will bend more easily so the sapphire comes loose? Or am I overthinking this and I should assume the risk from going with a cheap setting?

Thanks for any help!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re over thinking it.

18k equals more gold content than 14k.
strength wise you''ll be fine either way.
if you''re on a budget, the 14k should be less expensive.

if you plan to upgrade the ring, will you upgrade the stone as well?

does she know that there will be an upgrade down the road?

is she sentimental like many of us and willing to do an upgrade down the road?

just playing devil''s advocate....

congrats on find the girl, going with a color stone, worrying about all this, and finding pricescope! welcome.

mz

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If the ring is well made and the setting process was done by an experienced setter, material doesen''t matter that much. Make sure the setting isn''t too lightweight (compare with similar styles in the same metal), that it''s nicely finished (no strange bumps, unpolished dots etc.) and everything should be fine. If you plan an upgrade later on, there''s no reason to spend more on the purer metal now and (potentially) get a lesser quality setting.

vsol

Rough_Rock
I don''t think she''s so sentimental that she won''t want to at least upgrade to the exact same style setting but just a little better made. I''m going with a trellis design which is very similar to Vatche''s X Prong but literally almost 10x cheaper! I think I will go ahead and go with the 14k since the stone wasn''t even outrageously pricey -- the upgrade to 18k is almost as much as the stone was. Thanks for your guys'' input!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome!

remember, the stone is the most important component. the setting is merely presentation.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results