shape
carat
color
clarity

That time of the year...to discuss fantasy books

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm actually trying out Black Prism, another trilogy by Brent Weeks. Weeks has been on my radar for a while but the premise of Night Angel hasn't grabbed me enough to get reading, but I like the premise of Black Prism. I read the first few pages and thought, "Wait a second, a chroma-based magic system? Didn't I just see this in Warbreaker?? [Brandon Sanderson]" The first Amazon review favorably compares this to Warbreaker though so I'll give it a try (I actually rank Sanderson above both Rothfuss and Martin in my personal list of favorite fantasy authors)

But keep those suggestions coming! I'm a fast reader :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am reading the Black Prism too. I didnt suggest it is because it isnt finished yet.Night Angel is billed incorrectly. Its not about assasins at all and whoever wrote the synopsis didn't read the books. If you like his writing try the Night Angel series.

Packrat reminded of another series...oldy but great. Deathgate Cycle. Weiss and Hickman.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
You didn't mention any of the Dragonlance books... Have you read them, or do you not like them? I also LOVED the David Eddings books, so freakin good!

Lately I have been re-reading the original Dragonlance chronicles, since it has been quite some time since I read them.

ETA- I just looked through and saw other mention Dragonlance... Sorry!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I've not heard of that series-I'll check it out!

Tuckins--I read the Chronicles every couple years or so, they're my favorites of all the DL books I've read. I still cry when Flint and Sturm die, and I've been reading those books for over 20 years.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I also liked Greg Keyes Kingdom of Thorn & Bone series as well as the Waterborn/Blackgod books. I could never get into his Age of Unreason series though. Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry series is quite good as well.

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
rubyshoes|1363034886|3402221 said:
Oooohh cool thread.

One of all my all-time favorites is the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey and I just finished the final book - Naamah's Blessing. I've read Banewreaker and Godslayer as well. Now I want to try Santa Olivia.

I love Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel and Naamah series too! :appl:

I didn't enjoy Santa Olivia as much though :( I also read Dark Currents and it's underwhelming as well. Maybe it's because of the "epic-ness" of her other books... I can't help but compare.

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
B.E.G.|1363036620|3402246 said:
Rubyshoes - how are Carey's other books? I have to admit, I hated Kushiel's Dart! Too dark? But I like other dark fantasy books. I think I didn't like the character as much. I tend to fall in love with characters and they make or break the book for me.

Sorry, I know this is meant for Rubyshoes, but the Kushiel series just gets better after the first one! :) The writing style also gets less flowery in the succeeding books, which I prefer because it lets me concentrate on the story and the characters more than the writing style.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1363174667|3403739 said:
You didn't mention any of the Dragonlance books... Have you read them, or do you not like them? I also LOVED the David Eddings books, so freakin good!

Lately I have been re-reading the original Dragonlance chronicles, since it has been quite some time since I read them.

ETA- I just looked through and saw other mention Dragonlance... Sorry!

Confession - I actually have all three Dragonlance books...in hardcopy. Which is why I haven't gotten around to reading them, because it's so much more convenient to read on my Kindle/Kindle app on iPhone. I tend to read in bed with the lights off, or walking from my car to my classroom, or in line at Starbucks...etc. Maybe I should just buy the e-book versions! I really do intend to read them!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love Diana Wynne Jones. Also Patricia Wrede (in the same vein). Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles (and all of her books really) are fantastic, with feisty, strong female protagonists unwilling to sit around and be rescued (we really need more characters like this for the younger female readers).

I know there are science fiction readers too, and for those out there (or anyone wanting to make the jump from fantasy to science fiction), I highly recommend Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series. She has something around 18 books and novellas in that universe out now, and not a single one is a dud. And has incredibly well-written characters - the kind you fall in love with and wish they were real people (ok, maybe that's just me but I really don't think so in this case!).

And anything by John Scalzi is great (beginning with Old Man's War). Sharp witty writing and dialogue, sympathetic characters, action-packed. Great for anyone who liked Ender's War, anyone who appreciates humor mixed in with sci-fi, and anyone who prefers sci-fi set in Earth's future (not some distant alternate universe).

I think someone asked about the Girl of Fire and Thorns...? I read the first book and eventually will get to the others. I thought it was good, but didn't grip me to the point where I had to go find the next one.

Oh another fantasy YA suggestion - Graceling was recommended to me by one of my students and I thought it was great! She didn't think the second book, Fire, was as good - I disagreed. Fire is a bit slower and more nuanced (better for an older audience). Both are great though.

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
My problem right now is that there are sooooo many great books out there to read and so little time :( I'm pleasantly surprised that there are PSers who love the same kind of literary genre as I do! :) :love:

I joined PS to learn more about bling, but now it's becoming a nice home for research on other things as well! :appl:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
ladidalola|1363194082|3403945 said:
Oooohh cool thread.

One of all my all-time favorites is the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey and I just finished the final book - Naamah's Blessing. I've read Banewreaker and Godslayer as well. Now I want to try Santa Olivia.

I didn't enjoy Santa Olivia as much though :( I also read Dark Currents and it's underwhelming as well. Maybe it's because of the "epic-ness" of her other books... I can't help but compare.

Heehee! When my close friend and I first met (a common friend introduced us), we bonded over our love of the Kushiel series. :D We went from being "Hey how long have you been in Chicago, where'd you go to school" etc to "OMG PHAEDRE AND JOSCELIN!!!". She actually texts me "Joie to you, on this the darkest night." every Solstice! :lol: We're addicts!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1363125113|3403177 said:
Middle books are filler in WOT. LONG filler. But still... my husband read them all (I stopped at 7) and he's glad he did.

TRUST ME on the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. If you love Patrick Rufus, you will love this series. Look up the reviews on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Brent-Weeks/e/B004N1S4QY/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Also strongly suggest the Ryria Revelations. Again, you don't have to trust me , read the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-J.-Sullivan/e/B002BOJ41O/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

I just sent a sample of the first Ryria book to my Kindle - looks good!

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
rubyshoes|1363202059|3404068 said:
ladidalola|1363194082|3403945 said:
Oooohh cool thread.

Heehee! When my close friend and I first met (a common friend introduced us), we bonded over our love of the Kushiel series. :D We went from being "Hey how long have you been in Chicago, where'd you go to school" etc to "OMG PHAEDRE AND JOSCELIN!!!". She actually texts me "Joie to you, on this the darkest night." every Solstice! :lol: We're addicts!

OMG! Me too :) I looooove this series. It's so well-written and I love the characters so much! Always and always ;-)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
B.E.G.|1363196264|3403986 said:
I love Diana Wynne Jones. Also Patricia Wrede (in the same vein). Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles (and all of her books really) are fantastic, with feisty, strong female protagonists unwilling to sit around and be rescued (we really need more characters like this for the younger female readers).

I know there are science fiction readers too, and for those out there (or anyone wanting to make the jump from fantasy to science fiction), I highly recommend Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series. She has something around 18 books and novellas in that universe out now, and not a single one is a dud. And has incredibly well-written characters - the kind you fall in love with and wish they were real people (ok, maybe that's just me but I really don't think so in this case!).

And anything by John Scalzi is great (beginning with Old Man's War). Sharp witty writing and dialogue, sympathetic characters, action-packed. Great for anyone who liked Ender's War, anyone who appreciates humor mixed in with sci-fi, and anyone who prefers sci-fi set in Earth's future (not some distant alternate universe).

I think someone asked about the Girl of Fire and Thorns...? I read the first book and eventually will get to the others. I thought it was good, but didn't grip me to the point where I had to go find the next one.

Oh another fantasy YA suggestion - Graceling was recommended to me by one of my students and I thought it was great! She didn't think the second book, Fire, was as good - I disagreed. Fire is a bit slower and more nuanced (better for an older audience). Both are great though.

Yes, Patricia C. Wrede! In the same vein, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books are wonderful; YA, based in Welsh mythology. They are favorites, along with Enchanted Forest Chronicles. I have tried some of both authors' other work as well, and it's good, but these two series hold a very special place for me.

I was going to come back and add the Graceling books, too, glad you've already read them! The third book, Bitterblue is out now, too.

I am passing on a recommendation Haven made to me a while ago, Curse as Dark as Gold, Elizabeth C. Bunce- excellent.

I really liked the Bayern Books, starting with Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. Her other work was a bit young, even for me (and I love YA), although still very readable and super quick, but the Bayern books are solid.

My 'name' on Goodreads is AviaStar, too, if anyone wants to compare lists!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
BEG- Have you read any of the other books by Eddings? Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress are really good too...

SB621

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1363211103|3404261 said:

Yes, Patricia C. Wrede! In the same vein, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books are wonderful; YA, based in Welsh mythology. They are favorites, along with Enchanted Forest Chronicles. I have tried some of both authors' other work as well, and it's good, but these two series hold a very special place for me.

I was going to come back and add the Graceling books, too, glad you've already read them! The third book, Bitterblue is out now, too.

I am passing on a recommendation Haven made to me a while ago, Curse as Dark as Gold, Elizabeth C. Bunce- excellent.

I really liked the Bayern Books, starting with Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. Her other work was a bit young, even for me (and I love YA), although still very readable and super quick, but the Bayern books are solid.

Aviastar I just finished reading the Books of Bayern today! I liked the first 3- the last one was a little long winded for me though. I guess I was less invested in RIn then the other girls.

Also Elizabeth Bunce has a series out called The Theif Erant (or something similar). I believe the first book is Liar's Moon. I loved the first book. The second one was more mystery then action/ fantasy. Still a good read. I have been on a YA kick myself.

I wish there was a way to PM people as I have most of these books on kindle and I would be happy to share them. I personally hate buying books and lendle.me never seems to work for the books I need :???:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think someone asked about the Girl of Fire and Thorns...? I read the first book and eventually will get to the others. I thought it was good, but didn't grip me to the point where I had to go find the next one. .

That was me. I will honestly say I didn't love the first book, but I thought the 2nd was leaps and bounds better. The character is older and she really grows on you. She is no longer the child from the first book. I highly recommend reading #2. I think #3 comes out this summer.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1363217873|3404325 said:
BEG- Have you read any of the other books by Eddings? Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress are really good too...

Yes indeed! I took all of them (the Belgariad, Mallorean, Polgara and Belgarath) with me to Mexico a couple years ago and devoured them by the pool :razz: Then BF made fun of me for bringing all my heavy hardcopy books! They're so good though. It's been a few years now, and I've moved to more realistic/darker fantasy since, so I don't know if I would love it as much (they really were my first foray into fantasy) but I absolutely loved them at the time.

Sarahbear621 said:
I think someone asked about the Girl of Fire and Thorns...? I read the first book and eventually will get to the others. I thought it was good, but didn't grip me to the point where I had to go find the next one. .

That was me. I will honestly say I didn't love the first book, but I thought the 2nd was leaps and bounds better. The character is older and she really grows on you. She is no longer the child from the first book. I highly recommend reading #2. I think #3 comes out this summer.

Good to know! Yeah, the protagonist didn't really appeal to me in the first book, but she was rather young, and a bit of a passive character. If she steps it up in the second book, I'd give it a try.

aviastar said:

What do you think of Bitterblue? I haven't gotten to it - the reviews on Amazon weren't as good as for the other two. I haven't updated Goodreads in SO long. Now I'm afraid to go back - there are so many books that I need to add!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1363230493|3404494 said:
Tuckins1|1363217873|3404325 said:

Yes indeed! I took all of them (the Belgariad, Mallorean, Polgara and Belgarath) with me to Mexico a couple years ago and devoured them by the pool :razz:

Too funny! When we were on our honeymoon, we had 2 weeks in Mexico. We each brought 5 books to read and went through them so quick, we had to buy a few while we were down there! We are very fair skinned, so there was a LOT of time spent sitting under a beach umbrella reading!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1363224374|3404424 said:
aviastar|1363211103|3404261 said:

Aviastar I just finished reading the Books of Bayern today! I liked the first 3- the last one was a little long winded for me though. I guess I was less invested in RIn then the other girls.

Also Elizabeth Bunce has a series out called The Theif Erant (or something similar). I believe the first book is Liar's Moon. I loved the first book. The second one was more mystery then action/ fantasy. Still a good read. I have been on a YA kick myself.

I wish there was a way to PM people as I have most of these books on kindle and I would be happy to share them. I personally hate buying books and lendle.me never seems to work for the books I need :???:

Completely agree about Bayern! And I tried Princess Academy and Book of a Thousand Days and just didn't care for them as much, although I finished both and enjoyed them.

I did read both the Thief Errant books- I really enjoyed the first one and was kinda disappointed by the second. I didn't think either compared to Curse, which I loved.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
B.E.G.|1363230493|3404494 said:
aviastar said:

What do you think of Bitterblue? I haven't gotten to it - the reviews on Amazon weren't as good as for the other two. I haven't updated Goodreads in SO long. Now I'm afraid to go back - there are so many books that I need to add!

I had to go back and think about Bitterblue, which doesn't say much for it right off the top, but I thought it was good. I think it's different again, like Fire was different than Graceling. Bitterblue is darker, I think; Leck is a son of a bitch and you really get into some of that in this one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1363189025|3403888 said:
Gypsy, I've not heard of that series-I'll check it out!

It was very good. The books are relatively short in actual length, but don't feel that way, if you know what I mean. It's a very interesting series-- and is very much a full series and tells a single story from beginning to end.

Let me know if you read it!

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
My friend loaned me this book on my kindle:

Enchantress (The Evermen Saga, Book One) (Kindle Edition)
James Maxwell (Author)

Do any of you know it? :) I'm trapped reading Eye of the World right now and they just released this pc game (SimCity) that I'm getting addicted to! I wish I could multiply myself :razz:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I am sad to say that I currently love Black Prism, and just raed that Brent Weeks does not plan for Book 3 to be out this year :(

Of course I gravitate for the trilogy that's not finished! Add this to my list of "waiting with bated breath for latest installment" books (Song of Ice and Fire, Kingkiller Chronicles, Stormlight Archive...)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1363400841|3406068 said:
I am sad to say that I currently love Black Prism, and just read that Brent Weeks does not plan for Book 3 to be out this year :(

Of course I gravitate for the trilogy that's not finished! Add this to my list of "waiting with bated breath for latest installment" books (Song of Ice and Fire, Kingkiller Chronicles, Stormlight Archive...)

I'm sorry honey.

I don't think the Kingkiller will come out this year either.

My biggest author sadness is Pratchett, which I read about his Alzheimer's I was just... so upset. It seems the ultimate cruelty that a man so brilliant with such an amazing mind be incapacitated in that way.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1363401834|3406077 said:
B.E.G.|1363400841|3406068 said:
I am sad to say that I currently love Black Prism, and just read that Brent Weeks does not plan for Book 3 to be out this year :(

I'm sorry honey.

I don't think the Kingkiller will come out this year either.

My biggest author sadness is Pratchett, which I read about his Alzheimer's I was just... so upset. It seems the ultimate cruelty that a man so brilliant with such an amazing mind be incapacitated in that way.

I just got to the first major plot twist, about 1/3 of the way into the first book. WHOA. About to go buy book 2 on Amazon ASAP.

Yeah, I don't think so either. I'm ok with Kingkiller not coming out. I love The Name of the Wind, but the second book dragged a little for me. Same with Song of Ice and Fire. Of course, I'll still read them and want them out now, but I was incredibly impressed with the latest for either.

Now Brandon Sanderson is a different story. Brilliant, prolific, creative... <3 his books. And the new Stormlight book should be out this fall, and he has a YA book, I think, coming out this summer (Steelheart). Considering he's working on about 5 different books at once and he publishes 1-2 a year, pretty darn impressive.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
First plot twist of which book? First of what series? :read:

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
ladidalola|1363367439|3405641 said:
My friend loaned me this book on my kindle:

Enchantress (The Evermen Saga, Book One) (Kindle Edition)
James Maxwell (Author)

Do any of you know it? :) I'm trapped reading Eye of the World right now and they just released this pc game (SimCity) that I'm getting addicted to! I wish I could multiply myself :razz:

I JUST finished the WoT series this week. I saved the last book for a time when I knew I would have a few days to take that sucker down. I generally recommend it - the characters are SO detailed by the end of it... but its all about whether you can read THAT MANY huge a$$ books, knowing that all the most important things will happen in the 13th or 14th book. I started reading them when I was in the 8th grade (I think) so it has been a long long journey...ten years now??

But I generally recommend them, which maybe says something since I can get very angry at books :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results