shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanksgiving Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 7:28:33 PM
Author: Mara
AGBF...I''m surprised you haven''t chimed in yet with 10 different side dishes. Are you losing your touch?!!??!

Nope. Just my time
2.gif
. I have houseguests. I still check in ten times a day, but that is cutting waaaaay down!!!

Deb :)

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
>Mushroom Gravy[/b]

Ingredients:
Butter
Flour
1 box of white mushrooms
Dark soy sauce
Water

Directions:
1. Slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
2. Sautee the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil until browned on medium high heat.
3. Remove mushrooms, and put in separate bowl - keep the pan.
4. Into the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of butter.
5. Mix butter and flour on medium heat until smooth and starts to turn light brown.
6. Microwave 1 cup of heat for 1 minute.
7. Pour water into now brown butter/flour mixture.
8. It will sizzle loudly, mix water in quickly until smooth.
9. Once it reaches a thicker consistency, add mushrooms back into the mixture.
10. Season with salt and pepper, and 2 to 3 teaspoons of soy sauce.
11. Mix well, and serve over turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, or whatever you want!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: kaleigh
. Hubby and son are going to Miami to a 24 million dollar penthouse condo,.... I won''t go as I refuse to leave my grandmother in the nursing home on Thanksgiving. Can you say pissed??
23.gif
Holy Sh... Yeah I can say pissed!!!
29.gif

Good for you, Lisa...for staying home for your Grandmother. Santa had darn well better be very good to you this year!!
11.gif

widget

PS: Does anyone have an idea or recipe for a salad that isn''t jello/molded, and isn''t
tossed green???

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks widget!!!
21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG alb...I am SO craving mashed potatoes now that you posted that gravy recipe, I LOVE mushrooms. Maybe we will have to have multiple gravies this year.
9.gif

What about that corn salad that Alj posted, widget? (WOOPS, I just realized what she posted was not the corn salad recipe I am thinking of, but she did tell me about it, so maybe I can get her to post it here...it sounded yummy).

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Do it Mara! I promise you''ll love it!!!
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 9:27:25 PM
Author: widget

PS: Does anyone have an idea or recipe for a salad that isn''t jello/molded, and isn''t
tossed green???

Sure!

(Quantities are very flexible in this recipe, so adjust to taste.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (small balls called bocconcini work best)
1/3 cup basil-flavored olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
10 to 12 ears of sweet corn, husked and silk removed
6 to 8 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into
25 to 30 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced

Cut the mozzarella balls into small pieces and marinate in the basil oil, tossing with salt, black pepper, and red pepper. If using a large ball of cheese, cut this into slices. Cover and refrigerate at least six hours, preferably overnight. NOTE: Before assembling the salad, remove the mozzarella from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature before using in the salad.

Scrape the corn kernels from the ears of corn by using a sharp kitchen knife and a large cutting board. Cut off the stem end to give a flat base. Hold the ear, tip end up, then cut downward, removing a few rows at a time.

In a large pot, partially filled with water, bring water to a rolling boil. Add the corn kernels to the boiling water. Bring water back up to a boil; immediately remove from heat and drain corn in a colander in your sink. Run cold water over the corn in the colander to stop the cooking process; drain the corn thoroughly.

In a large bowl, gently combine corn kernels, tomatoes, mozzarella with marinade, and basil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate the salad until approximately ½ before serving.

To serve as a first course for your dinner party, spoon salad into wine glasses.

Makes approximately 10 to 12 servings.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
GREEN BEAN SALAD WITH GRUYERE & WALNUTS

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 lb Green beans
1/4 c Oil-and-vinegar dressing,
Either bottled or home-made
1/4 ts Ground cumin
1 tb Dijon mustard
1/2 c Coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 lb Gruyere cheese, finely diced
1/8 ts Salt
To taste

1. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Snap the ends from the beans. Cut in halves or thirds if very long. Add to the boiling water and time 5 to 7 minutes, or until the beans are tender. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool. Wrap in paper towels and a plastic bag; refrigerate. (This can be done 24 hours in advance.)

2. Whisk together the dressing, cumin and mustard. Refrigerate if not using right away. About 1 hour before serving the salad, combine the dressing with
the beans, walnuts, Gruyere, salt and pepper. Mix gently. Let marinate at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

Another from Bon Appetit:

Warm Green Bean And Pancetta Salad

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
5 ounces pancetta -- or bacon diced
1/3 cup minced shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary -- or 1 1/2 teaspoons
-- dried, crumbled
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice -- plus
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
fresh rosemary sprigs -- optional

Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Pat dry. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
Chill.)

Cook pancetta in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp, stirring often. Transfer pancetta to paper towels, using slotted spoon. Pour off all but
1 1/2 tablespoons fat from skillet. Add shallots and chopped rosemary to skillet and cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring often. Add beans and stir to
coat. Add oil and lemon juice and stir until beans are heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with pancetta. Garnish with rosemary sprigs if desired.

Warm Bean and Tomato Salad with Basil
Categories: Salads
Yield: 2 servings

1/2 lb Green Beans, ends removed
2 ea Large Dry Shallots, chopped
1 c Chickpeas, drained 19oz
2 tb Fresh Basil, chopped
1 x Salt
3 tb Olive Oil
1 tb Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar
2 ea Tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1 tb Lemon Juice, fresh
1 x Freshly Ground Black Pepper

* You can use 1 teaspoon of dried basil instead of the fresh stuff. Remove the ends from the beans and cut into 1 12 inch lengths. Cook in boiling water until just tender, about 5 - 7 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile heat one tablespoon of oil in a large frypan over medium heat; cook the shallots until softened, about 2 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until liquid is reduced. Drain chickpeas and stir in chickpeas and green beans; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

In a serving bowl, combine the bean mixture with tomatoes, olives and basil. Whisk together the remaining oil with lemon juice and pour over salad; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 2 as main course, 4 as side dish.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow....thanks, Alj!!!

Is that corn salad as delicious as it sounds?? It has all my favorite things in it..basil, mozzarella, tomatoes, fresh corn....yum. (I haven't looked lately...I hope there's good sweet corn available this late in the year...)

THANKS!!
36.gif

widget

ETA: The green bean recipes sound yummy too but I'm a bit worried about duplicating what the person assigned "green veggie dish" brings..

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Title: Cucumber and Avocado Salad

1 ea English Seedless Cucumber 1 x Slices, Sweet Red Pepper
1 x Salt 1 x Lettuce
1 x Chili Pepper 1 ea Ripe Avocado, sliced
1 tb Fresh Lime Juice 1 x Fresh Parsley
1 ts Minced Onion

Peel and slice the cucumber paper-thin. Season with salt, chili pepper and lime juice. Sprinkle with onion and red pepper slices. arrange lettuce on
6 serving plates. Pile cucumber mixture in center of each plate. Add avocado slices and parsley. 6 servings.

--------------------

Fresh Asparagus Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette

Yield: 2 servings

1/2 lb Asparagus, tough ends
-removed
1 md Lemon (for both juice and
-peel)
1/4 c Olive oil
2 tb Corn or canola oil
1/8 t Salt
1/4 t Pepper
1 1/2 t Dijon mustard
1 sl Bacon, cooked until crisp
-and crumbled coarsely
4 Dry-cured black olives,
-pitted
Freshly ground pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus (cook until tender but still bright green, 4-5 minutes). Remove with tongs
and immediately plunge into ice-cold water to stop the cooking and preserve the color. Drain completely and arrange the asparagus on two
salad plates.

Remove half the lemon peel and cut into extremely thin strips. Boil for 1-2 minutes; drain. Squeeze 3 tablespoons juice from the lemon. Put the juice and boiled peel in a jar. Add the oils, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard. Shake vigorously to combine. (This makes 3/4 cup dressing. Refrigerate the unused portion for future salads.)

At serving time, spoon some vinaigrette over the asparagus. (Never let asparagus sit in vinegar- or lemon based dressings; it turns an ugly olive drab.) Sprinkle the crumbled bacon and pitted olives over the top, along with a grind of pepper.

--------------

Asparagus and Mozarella Salad

1 pound medium size asparagus, -- stalks peeled
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Champagne or white wine vinegar
Dijon mustard and minced garlic to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into sticks,
about 1/4 inch wide and 1 inch long.
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, -- very thinly sliced
4 ounces wafer thin slices (rounds) of salami
1/4 cup slivered roasted red bell pepper -- (from the jar)

Simmer the asparagus until just cooked through. Rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain, pat dry and cut the spears, on the
diagonal, into 1inch long pieces; set aside.

Make a dressing of olive oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine the asparagus and mozzarella and
lightly dress with half of the dressing.

Alternate rounds of tomato and salami on the outside of each dinner plate; center asparagus and mozzarella mixture in the middle; drizzle remaining
dressing over the tomatoes and salami. Garnish asparagus and mozzarella with roasted peppers.

-------------------

ASPARAGUS SALAD WITH ORANGE VINAIGRETTE

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange peel, -- no white attached
2 garlic cloves, -- chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon balm, lemon thyme, -- or
lemon verb
1 cup olive oil
Salt, freshly ground black pepper & sugar
3 pounds asparagus

In a medium bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, orange juice, orange peel, garlic, ginger, mustard, tarragon, and lemon balm. Slowly whisk in
the olive oil until thick. Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.

Peel the asparagus if larger than a pencil. Cut off any woody ends. Place in a large frying pan of boiling water, being sure that the water covers. (Cook in
batches if necessary and bring the water back to the boil with each batch.) Boil 3 to 5 minutes until tender. Drain. May be done ahead to this point.
Pour salad dressing over asparagus and serve hot or cold. Yield: 10 to 12 servings

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON

1 c Mayonnaise
1/2 c Sugar
1/4 c Vinegar
2 1/2 lb Broccoli (or 2 big bunches)
1 c Shredded sharp cheddar
- cheese
1/2 lb Bacon, crisp fried and
- crumbled

Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar and set aside. Cut broccoli into florets and combine in large bowl with cheese and
bacon. Toss with mayonnaise dressing. Cover and chill overnight before serving. Serves 6

---------------------------

CORN & SHRIMP SALAD

serves 4

36 lg Shrimp
Packaged shrimp and crab
-boil seasoning nuts
2 lg Ears of corn, kernels cut
-off the cobs (~1 1/2 cups)
-----FOR THE MARINADE-----
1 Egg yolk*
3/4 c Olive oil
3/4 c Peanut oil
3/4 c Red wine vinegar
3 tb Dijon-style mustard
3 tb Minced red onion or chives
3 tb Minced parsley
1 tb Minced shallot

*You may skip the egg yolk if you are concerned about the safety of eating raw eggs.

NOTE: This recipe makes a generous amount of marinade, so serve with a slotted spoon.

Shell and devein the shrimp. Fill a pan with 3" of water. Stir in several tablespoons of the seafood boil. Bring to a boil and add the shrimp. When the
shrimp turns pink (1-2 minutes), remove the pan from the heat, and let the shrimp cool in the liquid.

Cook the corn kernels in a steamer for 2 minutes; set aside. Whisk together the egg yolks, oils, vinegar and mustard. Stir in the red onion or chives, the parsley
and the shallot.

Drain the shrimp and put in a deep bowl. Pour on the mariande. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. When ready to serve, stir the corn in with the shrimp.
Arrange on a lettuce-lined platter.

------------------------

Roquefort, Pear And Watercress Salad
Yield: 4 servings

2 TB strong brewed tea -- pref
: Earl Grey
1 TB white-wine vinegar or
: Champagne vinegar
1 TB walnut oil
1 TB minced shallots
1 ts Dijon mustard
: salt and freshly ground
: black pepper
3 c washed, dried and torn red
: leaf lettuce
3 c washed & dried watercress
: lettuce
1 ripe pear, pref. red --
: cored/thinly sliced
1 oz Roquefort cheese --
: crumbled
1 TB chopped toasted walnuts

In small bowl, whisk together tea, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper. (can be prepared 2 days ahead, and stored in fridge.)

In large bowl,toss lettuce and watercress toegether with the dressing. Divide among 4 salad plates, decoratively arranging pear slices over lettuce mixture. Sprinkle cheese and
walnuts on top and garnish with a grinding of black pepper.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Steven Spielberg''s Tomato Artichoke Salad

1/2 Cup Olive oil
2 Teaspoons Red wine vinegar
1 Teaspoon Parsley -- Minced
1 Pound Artichoke hearts -- Quartered
1 Roma tomato -- Diced
1/4 Cup Red onion -- Slivered
Salt And Pepper -- To Taste

Combine well: oil, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper. Add artichoke hearts, tomato, and onion and toss well.

Source: Steven Spielberg and Jeffrey Katzenberg''s Dive Restaurant - Los Angeles, CA

---------------------------

TOMATO BREAD SALAD

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Diabetic

3 large Tomatoes; seeded -- chop fine
1 medium Cucumber; seeded -- chop fine
1/2 large Sweet onion -- chop fine
1 cup Loosely packed fresh basil -
1/4 cup Olive oil
1 tablespoon Cider vinegar
1 Cl Garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 large Loaf white bread -- or
French bread loaf

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onion.

In a small bowl comb basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour overtomatoes and toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Before serving, allow salad to come to room temp. Cut bread into thick slices; toast under broiler until lightly browned. Top with salad and serve immediately. Yield 18 servings:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Tomato, Caper, Olive, And Blue Cheese Salad

Yield: 2 Servings

6 lg Tomatoes, chopped into bite-sized wedges
2 tb Balsamic vinegar
5 tb Olive oil
1/3 c Halved pitted Kalamata
-olives (I used the plain
-old Green olives)
1/3 c Crumbled blue cheese
2 tb Drained capers
Fresh basil leaves

Put tomatoes in a bowl......Drizzle with vinegar, then oil. Sprinkle very lightly with salt and generously with pepper.
Sprinkle with olives, blue cheese and capers. Loosely mix together, and Garnish with basil leaves.

Tortellini Salad

1 lb. fresh tortellini -- cooked and drained
1/2 lb. tri-color fusilli or rotini -- cooked and drained=

1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella -- cubed
1 roasted red peppers -- sliced
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts -- drained and chopped=

1/4 lb. pepperoni slices -- chopped coarsely
1/2 bunch scallions -- sliced
1/4 lb. fresh broccoli florets -- blancheds
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts -- optional
1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes -- optional
Vinaigrette dressing
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Combine all ingredients except for dressing and cheese. Toss with dressing and Parmesan cheese.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Quick Brocolli Cassarole: (I eyeball, so I'm just listing ingrediants...when you put it all together you can tell how cheesy you want it)

Thaw out frozen brocolli
Use a rolling pin and mash up Ritz crackers (yes they have to be ritz, have a much better taste than that yucky goya brand)

Few bags frozen broccoli
Chop up Velveta cheese into blocks
Combine brocolli and velvetta in oven save bowl (preferably clear, I like to watch stuff as I burn lots of food)
Put into oven ~300ish (I live in a ghetto apt where the oven doesnt have TEMP SETTINGS) until cheese starts to melt
MY SECRET:
while wiating for velveta to start to melt, take green giant frozen broccoli and cheese boxes (2 or 3) and melt in microwave
once velvetta melts, squeeze green giant broccoli and cheese into broccoli and cheese and mix (for some reason this
makes it taste better than my moms! I've never shared that I do this so shhhhhhhhhhh...they'd be disgusted haha)
Put crushed crackers on top and cook until velveta is melted all the way through

Add a couple thin pats of butter to the top (i dont know why, my mom does it so I do)

May not be the most elegant recipe but people LOVE this!

And they LOVE my deviled eggs, but my trick is LOTs of heart clogging MAYO with those haha.

Hey, people, it's the holidays...the averaage person is supposed to gain up to 5 pounds this season! Let's make em proud and go for 10!!! haha

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband is cooking the turkey this year. Neither of us have ever made one. Any tips?

Thanks!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2005 3:59:27 PM
Author: MC
My husband is cooking the turkey this year. Neither of us have ever made one. Any tips?
Thanks!

I have never made one, either! I am part of a recipe exchange, however, and received what looks like a delicious recipe from one member of it! I will post it when I can!

One thing I know is that getting a fresh turkey makes it easier because one doesn''t have to worry about thawing it. (My father makes the turkey every year so I do see it being made!) One often must reserve these in advance, so if you need one, do not wait! Run to a (trustworthy) store and reserve one!

Deb

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC...we are making a small turkey this year for the first time...my Mom buys the family one but we normally don''t get leftovers from it, or if we do it''s just a few slices and then we have a trough of Mashed Potatoes and other things but no turkey, so we decided to make a small one for our own this year probably the morning of Thanksgiving before the family turkey gets here.

I''m going to order it from Whole Foods..I like their organic turkeys..they have no hormones so you don''t get sleepy supposedly.

Anyway, we are torn between the Brined Recipe I posted from Emeril or this one I found as well on Food Network. I love herbed items.

Since we don''t know what we are doing...I saved the Emeril episode on TiVo so that I can watch it as I do the turkey and ensure that it''s going as planned.
31.gif

Herb Roasted Turkey w/Pan Gravy

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 8 servings

Although sage is the herb most used with turkey, I love the flavor and aroma of fresh bay (laurel) leaves. Fresh bay leaves are now widely available in supermarkets. Since the leaves are a bit woody, and no fun to eat, I baste my turkey with bay-infused butter and roast the breasts right on top of the leaves, which perfumes the meat.

1 small (golf-ball sized) onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 lemon, scrubbed clean
12 fresh sage leaves
Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 1/2 cup, from 12 stems)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling pan
1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
6 fresh bay leaves
4 tablespoons butter
2 boneless turkey breast halves, skin on (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup apple or regular brandy (recommended: Calvados)
2 to 3 cups apple cider
Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Oil a roasting pan and set it aside.
Put the onion into the bowl of a mini food processor. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zest from the lemon in thin strips, being careful not to cut into the bitter white pith. Add the lemon zest to the food processor and reserve the whole lemon for another use. Chop the onion and lemon zest until fine. Add the sage, parsley, olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt and pulse until it forms a coarse paste.
Put 2 of the bay leaves and the butter into a small pan and heat over medium-low heat until the butter is bubbling. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Put the turkey breasts on a work surface. Carefully run your fingers between the skin and the flesh from 1 end, being careful not to pull it completely off, creating a pocket. Season the turkey breasts generously with salt and pepper. Stuff half of the herb paste under the skin of each breast, and spread it evenly under the skin. Transfer the breasts to the roasting pan, and slide 2 bay leaves underneath each one. (The heat of the pan will release the bay leaf oils and flavor the breast.) Using a pastry brush, baste the breasts with half of the bay butter. Place the turkey in the oven and immediately decrease the temperature to 400 degrees F. After 20 minutes, baste the turkey breasts with the remaining butter, and roast for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until cooked through, and a thermometer placed in the thickest part of the breast registers 170 degrees F.
Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes before carving while you make the gravy.
Put the roasting pan over the burner on medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the pan juices, and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the apple brandy, and scrape the pan to lift the bits that are stuck to the bottom. Cook for a minute to burn off the alcohol, then, while stirring, pour in the apple cider. Bring to a simmer, and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Slice the turkey breast on the diagonal, and serve with warm gravy.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
http://www.living.com/

Hey Fellow PSers,
35.gif

I am always looking for a better mouse trap..well I watched the videos on the above link and Viola. Found one.

To achieve a far superior mashed potato...use yukon golds and boil whole! The starch doesn''t release when cooked whole. Also don''t add cold milk or cream...add your choice preferably half and half after scolding (...you are very very bad milk!! ha ha) bringing to almost boil. I use a ricer...(sorta looks like a garlic press, and have known not to over mash...) but these tips sound really great.

There was also a recipe redo of green bean casserole, for those of use watching carbies. (those of course won''t be eating the mashed potatoes...)

You carnivores, there is a great piece on "tenting" that bird. And my beloved Bobby Flay has some great BBQ bird tips. Deep fried...well watch if you can!

Hope you find soemthing that may help you! Enjoy!

DKS
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 8:09:34 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
http://www.living.com/

Hey Fellow PSers,
35.gif

I am always looking for a better mouse trap..well I watched the videos on the above link and Viola. Found one.

To achieve a far superior mashed potato...use yukon golds and boil whole! The starch doesn''t release when cooked whole. Also don''t add cold milk or cream...add your choice preferably half and half after scolding (...you are very very bad milk!! ha ha) bringing to almost boil. I use a ricer...(sorta looks like a garlic press, and have known not to over mash...) but these tips sound really great.

There was also a recipe redo of green bean casserole, for those of use watching carbies. (those of course won''t be eating the mashed potatoes...)

You carnivores, there is a great piece on ''tenting'' that bird. And my beloved Bobby Flay has some great BBQ bird tips. Deep fried...well watch if you can!

Hope you find soemthing that may help you! Enjoy!

DKS
3.gif
Thanks for the tips!

Yes definitely do not overmash..that will make them stiff and gluey rather than light and fluffy. Also I read that you should boil them with skin on, somehow it keeps the water in or something? They said it will yield a better final product than if you peel first.

I also boil mine in chicken stock to give them a little bit of flavor. My sister ADORES my mashed potatoes but I don''t have any big secrets, just milk (or cream..depending on what I have), sour cream, lots of butter and salt!

I also want to get a potato ricer this year, I read as well that it makes mashing them super easy and keeps you from over mixing them too.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RUM-MAPLE ROAST TURKEY with WILD RICE STUFFING

12 Servings

2 + 2/3 cups chicken broth 1 tsp thyme
1 cup raw wild brown rice 1 + ¼ tsp pepper
1/3 cup raw wild rice ½ cup maple syrup
1 large onion 1 Tbsp soy sauce
½ lb mushroom 2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil 2 cups stock
3 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups RUM
½ lb country sausage 2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp sage 12 lb turkey

1)In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth, brown rice and wild rice to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Uncover and set aside.

2)Meanwhile, in a food processor, chop the onion and mushrooms.

3)In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic, and stir-fry until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage casings and add the meat to the skillet and cook until not longer pink, about 6 minutes.

4)Add the mushrooms, sage, thyme and ¼ tsp of pepper, and cook until the mushrooms are just softened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice and set aside to cool slightly.

5)Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup and soy sauce.

6)When ready to roast the turkey, stuff it with about 4 cups of the stuffing and Truss. (Bake the remaining stuffing in a covered baking dish for 40 minute. Rub the turkey with the salt and remaining tsp of pepper. Place the turkey breast up in a roasting pan with a cover. Drizzle the maple-soy mixture over the turkey. Pour the RUM into the roasting pan, cover and roast for 1 + ½ hrs without taking the lid off.

7)Baste the turkey with the pan juices, then roast it uncovered, basting occasionally. Until done, about 1hr and 10 minutes.

8)Skim the fat from the pan juices, reserving 1 Tbsp of fat. In a saucepan combine ¼ cup of the pan juices with the 1 Tbsp fat and flour. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Blend the rest of the pan juices and stir until the gravy is smooth and thickened.

Deborah

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love a brined turkey - they come out so much juicier and more flavorful! I did Emeril''s brining recipe last year and it turned out really well. I did it for a full 24 hours in the fridge to get maximum juiciness.

Re: mashed potatoes, I have also heard boiling them with the skins on is better. I haven''t done that yet because I don''t have a potato ricer - those things retain the skin while ricing the potato. With my masher I''d have to peel all the potatoes after cooking and I''m not doing that!!! But when I get a ricer....I''ll boil with skins! Also, just a tip for the calorie conscious - instead of sour cream in my mash I put lowfat yogurt. It gives the same effect, but way less calories and fat and the potatoes have a nice little tang! I also use margarine (no trans fat kind) instead of butter and then skim milk instead of cream. The yogurt thickens them up nicely w/o having to use cream. If you can afford the calories, by all means indulge, but if you''re looking for shortcuts so you can eat more of other stuff, these tips work!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAH FG...I only eat mashed potatoes about twice a year at holiday, so I make the FULL FAT version!!!

re: brining the turkey...did you find it to be too salty or anything? Also, how did you submerge your turkey in the brine, or did you just turn it every few hours or something in the fridge? I don''t know that I have a container large enough to submerge it even though the turkey is small, only 10-12 lbs.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OK. Now I"m hungry! Sounds boring...and to a certain extent, it is. But they are amazing. Sometimes, the simple stuff is just what you want! I'm sure they have a billion variations of this recipe online but this is how I do it.

Au Gratin Potatoes

9 medium potatoes
1 block sharp cheddar (1/2 lb)
1 tsp salt
1 pint half and half (or milk, or part both..skim ok too)
1/2 stick of butter (they say one stick but I do a half)
dashes of pepper
dashes of paprika
parsley for garnish

Boil potatoes with skin on until almost cooked...still firm
Stick in refrigerator for at least 4 hours (overnight works great)..I do 2 hrs
Peel and grate coarsly...or slice...whatever
Melt cheese with half and half and butter and salt and some pepper
Pour over taters in baking tin and bake at 350 for 1 hour
Turn up to 375-400 for additional 10-15 minutes
Sprinkle with little paprika and garnish with chopped parsley

WOOOOWEEEE these are amazing.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This is also a very simple salad but I love it...

Whatever type of greens and other veggies you like...
With a home-made or store bought (I love Marie's) balsamic dressing
Sprinkle with candied pecans, dried cranberries, and feta...The sharp and sweet compliment so well....and perfect for thanksgiving

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That corn and tomatoe salad sounds awesome.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2005 2:58:02 PM
HAH FG...I only eat mashed potatoes about twice a year at holiday, so I make the FULL FAT version!!!

re: brining the turkey...did you find it to be too salty or anything? Also, how did you submerge your turkey in the brine, or did you just turn it every few hours or something in the fridge? I don''t know that I have a container large enough to submerge it even though the turkey is small, only 10-12 lbs.

We have brined the last 3 or 4 turkeys we''ve done. They are wonderful and very juicy. I buy the brine mix and brine bags from Williams Sonoma. You can make your own mix, but theirs is is a great mix of herbs and salt. It doesn''t taste salty at all. I don''t know how easy it would be to do it without the bag, but they ae not expensive (2 for $6.). It is basically a BIG, heavy duty zip lock type of bag. You jusst get the air out of it, and stick it in the fridge once it is sealed. After brining it overnight, we put the bird on the rotisserie on the barbeque. (We used to put it on the webber, but our grill here has a spit...) . Grilling it is great, not only because it tastes wonderful, but it frees up the oven for all the other goodies.

We''re cooking for 9 this year, which is smaller than most, so I''m in planning mode... I love to do a nice table, and great appetizers for while things are cooking...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting lop, thanks for the tip on the brining from WS..I didn''t know that they have the spice and the bags...that would really come in handy! I will have to check it out.

I''m already drooling at the thought of all the yummy food. I''ve been having tooth problems (a filling replacement gone wrong a few times, I''m so irritated with the dentist) and I don''t want that to ruin the holiday...so keeping fingers crossed. Maybe I''ll just drink more sangria!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and here is another recipe for the pot...

I saw this on WS and it looks really tempting...I may try it this year.

Pear, Chestnut and Sage Dressing
Whether to call the starch dish dressing or stuffing is a perennial debate at Thanksgiving tables. The term stuffing is usually used when it is cooked inside the turkey while dressing is typically cooked in a baking pan. But the name also varies depending on what part of the United States you are from. People who hail from the East and South are more likely to call it dressing. Whatever term you use the dish is a favorite on Thanksgiving tables from coast to coast.

1-lb. loaf rustic country bread, torn into
1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lb. pork breakfast sausage, casings
removed
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 Bosc pear, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup peeled and chopped steamed or roasted
chestnuts
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh sage
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
4 cups chicken or turkey stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and let dry overnight.

Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a large, shallow baking dish.

In a large sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage, stirring and crumbling with a fork, until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.

In the same pan, melt the 1 Tbs. butter and add the onion, carrot, celery and pear. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the sausage. Add the chestnuts, parsley, sage, melted butter, stock, salt and pepper and stir to mix. Add the bread and stir to mix well.

Transfer the dressing to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden and crispy, about 1 hour. Serves 10 to 12.

Note: If desired, you can pack the dressing loosely in the body and neck cavities of the turkey. Secure the neck flap with kitchen string or pin it to the back with toothpicks or trussing pins. Tying the legs together will help hold the stuffing in the body cavity. For turkeys weighing 16 lb. or less, add 30 minutes to the total roasting time. For turkeys weighing more than 16 lb., add 1 hour to the total roasting time.

Wheatleigh, Lenox, Massachusetts.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
For brining, I have used Rubbermaid/Sterlite storage containers. They''re cheap, easy & come in tons of sizes. Bonus, they even have lids. Wash them well first of course. Also, it is always hard to find space in the fridge for the brining bird, so I get 2 storage containers---one bigger than the other. Put the small one inside the large one, fill with brining solution & bird. Then put ice in the large container around the smaller one. Put lids on all. This will keep your bird at a safe temperture and save you lots of space in your fridge!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2005 2:58:02 PM

Sorry - hadn''t seen your post till now. The brine doesn''t make the turkey salty at all. It seems odd to chuck so much salt into the water, but mostly what it does is cause the liquid to swell into the cells of the turkey, making them much more plump and juicy. I throw lemons and oranges in there, brown sugar, salt, etc. I bought a big stock pot from Ross (it was like, ten or fifteen bucks) and put the whole turkey in there with the brine and set it in the fridge. I think my turkey was 15 or 18 pounds, and it still fit. The other option would be to do it in a big clear garbage bag or something and lay the bag in a roaster pan, and keep flipping the bird every few hours. But if you can find a cheap stock pot, that did the trick and the whole bird was submerged.

WS does have the brining spices - haven''t tried them out but they look good. However the whole thing is desiccated and I''m not sure of what all is in it...would you still have to put in lemons and oranges, or is the rind in there?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results