shape
carat
color
clarity

thanks for responses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anessen23

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help with previous post. The wife loved the ring. Just wondering, is there any way to be in the ideal range with a table 57%, and depth 58.8% (assuming all the other numbers checked out). Also would any one consider placing ideal cut or superbcert diamonds in earrings. thanks.
2.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone on here recently had 2 superbcert's (or maybe it was one ACA and one BN?) placed into 1ctw earrings I believe. She loved them. Considering that if you search you can find great deals, and the markup is not too high on the SC stones...you can probably get a pretty decent pair of earrings for less than you'd pay in a B&M store with 50% or more markup.

Just out of curiosity, I ran a quick Pscope search on the excellent quality stones and found the following potential two pairs of earrings, if you were looking for 1ctw.

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2438 (1447) (.505 G SI1 ACA H&A AGS0)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2471 (1475) (.512 G SI1 ACA H&A AGS0)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2398 (1504) (.524 G SI1 ACA H&A AGS0)

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2475 (1533) (.534 G SI1 ACA H&A AGS0)

If you paired up the first 2 you would be getting over 1ctw and paying around $2900 for 2 well matched ACA stones. The second pair is again over 1ctw and you'd be paying $3000 for another well matched pair. Add in the actual setting into earrings etc..maybe around $200 more?

We paid $2400 two years ago for our 1ctw G/H VS earrings in a B&M, but we got a 'deal' because we had been referred. So in reality at a regular store we may have paid more like $3000. This was for regular old earring cut stones...definitely not ACA or SC stones. They turned out to be not what they were sold as, we replaced them at the same jeweler with more excellent stones which I *adore*...but that is beside the point!
1.gif
So this is why I say the markup may be relatively small if you go with a well-cut stone. Just as a note, we may have paid $2400 for the earrings, but they recently appraised (the well cut G VS replacements) at over $5000 at a very conservative appraiser. Just imagine what an ACA earring would appraise for!
1.gif
Kinda fun.

I saw a few SC's on the search I did above as well, but none that were as close as the ACA stones were in color/clarity/price and stone size, which IMO is all important when you are talking a matched set of earrings.

So yes I think you could get away with ACA or H&A or SC stones for earrings, with relatively little pricing difference between B&M!

anessen23

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. Still wondering about the table and depth range for ideal (is 58.8 to shallow). Also does anyone know a way to have a 1 carot stone recut to ideal, I have a nice VS1, E stone exactly 1 carot with a chip on the girdle. The cut was not that great though. Thanks

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It's almost impossible that your stone is an AGS 0... The depth sounds a bit shallow for ideal, but the diamond could easily be an AGS excellent 1... Without seeing the stone it's impossible to tell, though.
Also, if you such a nice, high quality diamond (E VS 1). I strongly suggest you to have it recut... Since it's exactly one carat, even if you wanted to polish away only the chip, the weight could easily drop below the 1 ct mark. Thus I suggest you to have it fully recut (to an EightStar, maybe!!!)... Is the stone shallow (eg dd 6.80mm) or deep (eg dd 6.10mm)???

Giangi
1.gif

anessen23

Rough_Rock
hey, thanks for the help. So a table of 58.8 is alittle shallow. Does that severely affect the brialance of a stone. And also the stone I need worked on is a 1.00 carot round, 6.28-6.25, with depth of 4.01 mm. the depth is 64%, table of 60%, and a thick girdle. Its a shame they hid all the weight below the top. Most people asked if the stone was less than 1 carot. It looks more like 3/4ths of a carot. You can imagine what the new 2.14 carot stone thats slightly shallow looks like to my wife, she looks at it every 5 minutes, and it doesnt seem to be less brilliant than expected, it really shines. Also for anyone wondering, a GIA good H, with med. blue flur. looks pretty white to me in platinum, although I am a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results