shape
carat
color
clarity

Thank you cards - weird etiquette questions

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
So I have never posted over here (though I was in LIW for quite a while) but I thought you ladies might be the best to help me figure this out.

I'm not sure how to word Thank you cards for my recent wedding. A friend (who is notorious at promising things and not following through) essentially gave us an IUO for tickets to a show. Do I send a thank you now, and if so, how do I word it? Or do I hold off til we receive the gift?

Also, one of my grandmother's just sent a card, no gift. I was a little surprised because she has gotten gifts for my cousins, but gifts are supposed to be obligatory, otherwise they wouldn't be gifts! I'm just not sure how to word that thank you either.

Thanks in Advance!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would send a thank you to your grandmother for sharing in your joyous day and being there for you.
For your friend I would do essentially the same and not mention the IOU I think and then when she sends you the tickets you can send a thank you for that separately.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
missy|1353449691|3311390 said:
I would send a thank you to your grandmother for sharing in your joyous day and being there for you.
For your friend I would do essentially the same and not mention the IOU I think and then when she sends you the tickets you can send a thank you for that separately.

I think that sounds good too!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
And thats exactly what I did :) I don't know why I couldn't come up with that myself, sometimes wedding etiquette scares the crap out of me and I freeze up :lol:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm late to the party, but I think you did exactly the right thing. I had a similar situation with my bridal shower Thank Yous. I had one guest who came but didn't bring a gift, and another who gave me an IOU. I sent them both a "thanks for coming," and left it at that. I didn't mention the IOU, and figured I'd send a second Thank You card when the gift arrived. For the record, I haven't received the promised gift from the IOU giver, and I would be really surprised if I ever do! It's okay, though, gifts aren't everything. I'm just glad I didn't mention it in the Thank You note; it only would have made her feel bad.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
This slightly backfired because then the girl immediately texted me when she got the note saying "Didn't you see I was getting you this?!"

Of course, in a similar situation I may have done the same thing to make sure the person knew they were still getting a present, but then again, I'd never put in an IOU.

Oh people :rolleyes: you can never win :)

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand said:
For the record, I haven't received the promised gift from the IOU giver, and I would be really surprised if I ever do! It's okay, though, gifts aren't everything. I'm just glad I didn't mention it in the Thank You note; it only would have made her feel bad.

Exactly how I feel, blacksand!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I sort of have the same situation with SIL. We went out to dinner with her and BIL recently and she mentioned wanting to give us our wedding present on our first year anniversary. Apparently this was a present given to them and they LOVED it! They would like to treat us to a night at a sweet little B&B or a fancy dinner out...I cannot even wait!! :appl: The good news is that she told me I totally do NOT need to send out any thank you cards to her, ever, as this is an agreement she has with all of her friends lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results