shape
carat
color
clarity

Texas

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It was an excellent piece, again reinforcing how important women's healthcare is and their right to choose.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^I read the piece. The doctor who is testing the law and provided that abortion, then told the world, is a hero, in my book.

My heart breaks for the girls and women for whom raising a(nother) child will plunge them into poverty; for those who were raped/co-erced/seduced into s*x and really need an abortion that they can't access; and anyone whose physical and mental health are affected by a forced pregnancy and birth. And anyone whose dreams of a different life are now shattered.

I simply cannot imagine being forced to go through pregnancy and birth if I didn't want to. The cruelty is breathtaking.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping the Washington Post provides a link where people can donate to help pay for Dr. Braid legal defense costs. if anyone hears of ways to help him, can they please post them here?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Saw this coming... :x2 This just f**king sucks.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.22.19 PM.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems there are two lawsuits now.

the convicted felon plaintiff, who is an attorney said this

"I woke up this morning ... and I saw a story about this doctor, Dr. Braid," Stilley told the American-Statesman. "He's obviously a man of principle and courage and it just made me mad to see the trick bag they put him in and I just decided: I'm going to file a lawsuit. We're going to get an answer, I want to see what the law is."

This is the response from the TX right to life group

Kimberlyn Schwartz, spokeswoman for Texas Right to Life, an anti-abortion advocacy group, called the lawsuits "self-serving legal stunts" and said Stilley and Gomez are “abusing the cause of action created in the Texas Heartbeat Act for their own purposes.

Maybe the group will be hoisted on its own petard.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There he goes again.....

Less than a month after Texas’ six-week abortion ban went into effect in September, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) quietly signed another anti-choice bill that restricts access to medication abortion. On Thursday, that restriction became law, largely cutting off what little access Texans had left to abortion care.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There he goes again.....

Less than a month after Texas’ six-week abortion ban went into effect in September, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) quietly signed another anti-choice bill that restricts access to medication abortion. On Thursday, that restriction became law, largely cutting off what little access Texans had left to abortion care.

The article doesn't say how this one is enforced. I wonder if they are making the pharmacists report every prescription and then somehow they figure out how many weeks pregnant the person is? I'm going to check around for more info.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dr
There he goes again.....

Less than a month after Texas’ six-week abortion ban went into effect in September, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) quietly signed another anti-choice bill that restricts access to medication abortion. On Thursday, that restriction became law, largely cuttings off what little access Texans had left to abortion care.

What’s their next plan? Are they going to ban birth control pills? They stop implantation on the uterine wall. In their warped minds I can see them saying this is not all that much different from the abortion pill.
I’m so disgusted by these laws. They are all about controlling women.

If men got pregnant there would be an abortion clinic in every Walgreen and CVS store. Abortion pills and abortions would be as easy to get as an AR15 in Indiana.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article doesn't say how this one is enforced.

I'm not sure Abbot knows how to do it or even if he cares. I think the primary reason for the law is simply to scare people into compliance and/or suffer through the lawsuits until SCOTUS decides whether random strangers can take up residency in our uteri.

The silver lining might be that the American public, the majority of whom support RvW, will vote for those who promise to protect abortion rights and that would be the democrats.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s their next plan? Are they going to ban birth control pills?

Probably make birth control illegal and declare eggs and sperm as living things that can't be denied the right to unite.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably make birth control illegal and declare eggs and sperm as living things that can't be denied the right to unite.

@Matata, Some of these people are so flipping insane that it wouldn’t surprise me at all if your comment was a news headline a month from now!

I couldn’t agree more with your comment about the silver lining. Young women ought to wake the hell up. We are dangeously heading back to the 1960’s.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually thought about the egg thing today and was wondering if they would draft statutes declaring that they were "people" under the constitution, even if unfertilized. It wouldn't surprise me, with the way things seem to be going.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata, Young women ought to wake the hell up. We are dangeously heading back to the 1960’s.
Yes, we certainly are. I think that many young women are just unaware of what rights are hanging in the balance. They were not yet born when women had less rights than today. They are basically clueless that in the 60's women couldn't get a credit card in their own name, or buy a car, or that the "want ads" in the newspaper listed jobs under male and female. So they assume that they will always have the rights that they enjoy today and therefore don't understand that they need to, as you say, "wake up" and do something. They may only realize that when the rights that they take for granted are gone, and then they will have the long struggle of winning them back, like women had in the 60's and 70's.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, I agree that they support these rights, as does most of the American public, but I'm not sure that the younger people are aware how at risk they are. That was my point. When you've had something all of your life, it's hard to believe it will just go away and you don't realize that it can, or did, until it's too late.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully news outlets will start running / telling stories about what it was like before abortion was legal.

I’m wondering if it’s not already to late @Lookinagain. The email lady warned us this day would come.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully news outlets will start running / telling stories about what it was like before abortion was legal.

I’m wondering if it’s not already to late @Lookinagain. The email lady warned us this day would come.

let's hope it isn't too late, but I fear that it might be. I don't recognize the world I'm living in right now.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
yes, I agree that they support these rights, as does most of the American public, but I'm not sure that the younger people are aware how at risk they are. That was my point. When you've had something all of your life, it's hard to believe it will just go away and you don't realize that it can, or did, until it's too late.

Agree. Also I knew many young women in high school and college that considered themselves anti-abortion before they got pregnant. Then - guess what? Most decided to terminate the pregnancy!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The hypocrisy on display is staggering. Why no one has thought to get some deep background on the older white men coming up with these laws is beyond me. There are without a doubt a great many abortions in the past of the legislators supporting these laws restricting abortions. But the democrats have always brought knives to a gunfight.

And now SCOTUS, a group of people no one in the country ever elected, is going to support these laws that fly in the face of public opinion. We are doomed.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Young women ought to wake the hell up. We are dangeously heading back to the 1960’s.

White women have been a huge disappointment in election after election recently. (Not as bad as my club -- the always-in-last-place white men -- but I expect better of women, in part because the ones I know are better.) Sadly, I do not expect this to change with the now-probably-inevitable overturning of RvW. I was clinging to the silver-lining thinking above -- that this would galvanize some great awakening -- but it won't; this must be the fiftieth time in recent years that we have all asked "How much worse can it get?"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White women have been a huge disappointment in election after election recently. (Not as bad as my club -- the always-in-last-place white men -- but I expect better of women, in part because the ones I know are better.) Sadly, I do not expect this to change with the now-probably-inevitable overturning of RvW. I was clinging to the silver-lining thinking above -- that this would galvanize some great awakening -- but it won't; this must be the fiftieth time in recent years that we have all asked "How much worse can it get?"

Yup we are our own worst enemies. No question. There are times I just want to give up on humans. We can be so stupid. It never ceases to amaze me.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.04.43 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(

Access to abortion in the U.S. looks likely to shrink next year as six Republican-appointed members of the Supreme Court expressed a willingness to narrow or jettison 49 years of precedent.”

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, maybe this will backfire on those who are passing this type of legislation and after the SCOTUS decision (which I think we all feel, will at a minimum, retreat from R vs. W) they will be galvanized to vote these state legislators out of office. Wishful thinking on my part, probably, but otherwise, more of these types of laws will be passed in many states, and it may not just be abortion rights that are restricted, but many others. It's very scary to me.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

Yes, it looks as if the right to abortion is being whittled away. I believe they will not come out and say Roe vs Wade is overturned but will agree that states can make their own choices.

And tell me why you all think white women have failed? We vote on other issues beside abortion and agree to accept the results. My real feeling is that men need to feel superior to women and really dont like us. Much the same as with blacks, immigrants etc.

Once this right has been taken away in some states, other, so called, rights will also be chipped away.
Texas and Mississippi are the poster child for going backward, but don't blame white women, blame those who voted for Rep legislatures.

Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would have never believed this is what the country would look like today 20 years ago.

@smitcompton, I agree with much of what you wrote but I also blame white women. They had to have had their heads buried in the sand to not see Roe vs Wade being chipped away and see this coming. White women played a huge part in putting people where they are.

We watched 4 more children killed in school this week and we are to believe they care about a fetus? They won’t do a damn thing to change their precious gun laws.

I hope you are doing well Annette. I think of you often.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tell me why you all think white women have failed? We vote on other issues beside abortion and agree to accept the results.

I think the point, at least my reading of it, is that white women have failed on this issue. Maybe it's because they vote on other issues besides abortion, as you say. But I'm not so sure that all that do vote on those other issues expect the results that seem to be looming on the horizon. So when you say "agree to accept the results" to me, that actually makes the whole failure of white women worse. Because if they vote, knowing that these women's rights will be eliminated, but discard that in favor of some other things that may be out there ( because I'm not actually sure what other issues that you feel they are voting on that are more important to them) then I think the failure is actually more epic than @LilAlex stated.
I've never lived in a state that moved to make so many drastic changes to R vs. W since it was decided, so I've never had to be a "one issue" voter. And I've never thought that I should be. But seeing what is going on, I may have to change my opinion on that, because, again, as you say,
Once this right has been taken away in some states, other, so called, rights will also be chipped away.

And I agree. As far as not blaming white women, but blaming the legislature, I think we have to realize that white women probably played a big part in putting these electors in their state legislative body, so yeah, they must be somewhat to blame. Women still make up more, albeit slightly, of the U. S. population than men.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ultimately people tend to get the electors they deserve. This says a lot about our country at the moment, none of it good. The right to life is great when it is used to control women but that right is notably absent when it comes to guns. Then life doesn't seem to matter very much, even if it's children in school. Hypocrisy.

Regarding white women, definitely, but the Christian right wing type in particular. A certain political party has pandered to the Christian right for decades and used anti abortion fervor as a key talking point. At this point I blame anyone who votes for any candidate from this party.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results