shape
carat
color
clarity

Testing of Gems?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Hello to all,

I would like to know by just using the magnifier can a person person find out that the particular stone is synthetic or natural. coz one of my friend had gone to the jeweller to show the stone and he just used his magnifier to check and told that it is synthetic. But to my opinion i think we still need some type of requirement to test the colored stone and find out...

cguy

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess so... Once some tell tale, positive ID characteristics are found, further testing may not be needed. This doesn''t say anything about the particular case, of course.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Exact Ana,

As an example you may find in a flame fusion synthetic ruby using only a standard loupe and using a correct light environment some gas bubbles and some "curved striae". This detection is enough to determine that this stone is a synthetic...
But the determination of the natural or synthetic status of a given stone should be performed by people that have received an appropriate training as mistakes could be much more costly than the cost of such training. Reference stones and books have to be studied in order to feel quite confortable, but the best is to have some knowledgeable teacher to help you to understand the stones and acquire good technical skills.
Today more than ever with the new synthetics and the new treatments proper training is to my opinion more and more a need!

All the best,

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
There''s plenty of synthetics a pro can identify with a loupe, but I wouldn''t feel comfortable with an ID unless a gemologist signed his name to a "positive ID" with a list of the tests he performed and characteristics he saw which led him to that conclusion.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Gday

Knowing the supplier and source must help in the outcome and reliability of test reports? I havent had much experience with lab reports (gemmological) but when we have tried them they seemed to want to rely on and require a fair amount of input from the person that requests the report - this makes me slightly suspicious of the result. This is not a criticism but my experience.

cheers
Andrew

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS

BUT STILL ,,, HOW MUCH TIME IT TAKE TO TEST COLORED STONE IN A LAB OR ANY TO BE VERY HONEST . HERE THE JEWELLERS JUST TOOK 5-10 SECONDS TO CHECK THE STONE AND SAID ITS SYNTHETIC. HE USED A LIGHT AND IN FRONT USED A MAGNIFIER TO CHECK THE STONE AND IT TOOK ATLEST 15 SECONDS ONLY .
MY FRIEND GOT VERY NERVOUS COZ IT WAS A GOOD RUBY AND BLUE SAPPHIRE 2 STONES OF 2-3 CARATS EACH OF OLD TIMES.

CGUY

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello coolguynemek,
Well it take the time to find a diagnostic feature that tells you that this stone is synthetic or not. For some stones I would need one or 2 second with a loupe to tell you a definitive opinion, for other stone it could take me several hours in a well equiped laboratory...
It depends of the stone.
As I cannot see your stone in my hand I cannot tell you more...

Sorry,

All the best,

Mikey7

Rough_Rock
Since I only buy what most people would cosider junk stones for my own pleasure I haven''t had the need for gem lab testing or grading. I am curious though about how the labs base the cost of services. Example, if you wanted to authenticate a 2 carat ruby, would the cost be based on a flat fee for each test required or is some basis used relative to the type and size of the stone?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 11
6.gif
5:17 PM
Author: Mikey7

I am curious though about how the labs base the cost of services. Example, if you wanted to authenticate a 2 carat ruby, would the cost be based on a flat fee for each test required or is some basis used relative to the type and size of the stone?

It depends on the complexity of the ID. Some stones are much easier to identify than others.

Additionally, the liability incurred indentifying larger, high cost stones is much greater than on smaller, low cost stones. I would charge more to identify a fine 2 carat ruby than I would to identify a commercial quality 2 carat amethyst.

Generally I charge $25 to $45 for most gem ID's, with some of the more complex ID's costing up to $90. This is for a written ID listing all tests performed, a conclusive ID, and includes digital color photos.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Here in Indian Rupees the lab takes 550 RS. for testing the gems i.e $ 13 per stone.
If we want urgent within half hour its Rs. 1100 RS. i.e $ 27 . Since the cost of stone whether its natural or synthetic most people dont go to lab to test the stone as the price is high for a particular stone.

cguy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results