shape
carat
color
clarity

test a scanned ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dian

Rough_Rock
I was offered a 6.6 carat ruby, from Europe, from an old ring (1920s).
I have a pic for it.
Could any one offer a judgment based on form, size, cut...shown in the scanned image.
Is this an old synthetic?
ThanksP.S. I thought i could attach the pic, but it seems I will e-mail to anybody interested.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will give odds of 10:1 that this is not natural ruby for amounts up to $30, that is I win $300.
I have been a practicing gemmologist for 25 years. There are 2 'm's in gemmologist (ie it is not a marketing course that i did).
Dont waste your money unless you are happy to have a pretty fake.
garry h

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
just cleaned up it a bit
smile.gif
I hope somebody from the experts will give us some thoughts about your problem.Did you considered to show the stone to gemologist?You could check Professional Gem Sciences, Chicago: www.progem.com

Dian

Rough_Rock
Leonid,
Many thanks for uploading the facsimile, it looks better than mine...
I have to mention the fact that the ruby has 1.32g and dimensiones:21mm x 6mm x 5.5mm(thickness) and is, I qoute:"blood red ruby" in color; clarity:"top crystal";and "intense luster", marquise cut.
Are those any indications of a genuine article?

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Dian,I don't think your going to get very far in any forum by just showing a photo and asking questions.The price on a ruby can vary greatly depending on the exact color, and clarity of the stone. All of our computers display color a little different. We also can not even come close to knowing if it is natural or created with out having it in person to examine and maybe test.I would suggest that you take this to a jeweler and let them guide you, or send it in to a independent appraiser and let them do their thing.Best of luck, and sorry we can't help on this one.------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

Dian

Rough_Rock
Just to be clear, I don't have in my hand, and I will not travel to eastern-europe just to see it...
The idea was of someone competent in expressing an opinion based on the pic and description...
If I will buy it, it may be out of glass - for the $3 hundread that they are asking for...I will post an ending to this.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dian, email me the picture and I'll upload it to the server.

rachel

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I would say that alot of Victorian and Edwardian jewellery are set with either paste or doublets. I think this is an unusual cut for a ruby. And I also would say that in my opinion that if it were a natural ruby in a 1920s ring it would be more expensive than you have said. I would stay away from such items unless you can see them yourself or are buying from a good established source. Hope this helps. But antique and estate jewellery is a tricky area.Rachel
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results