shape
carat
color
clarity

Terminology & Decisions! Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Debra

Rough_Rock
My husband wants to purchase a 25th anniversary diamond for me. He has a diamond in mind and I want to make sure he isn't getting ripped off, since we're both complete novices. On the GIA certificate it states RW&F. I know F is the colour but what about RW? Also fgr=very good?
Additional details are: SI1,prop:v.good, 6.88 x 6.91 x 4.20, table:59%, hc:14%,hp:44%, gir:3.0%, cu
tongue.gif
ointed. carat:1.21,price:$13,600.(Canadian$).
Thankyou SO much for your advice. We need it!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,That doesn't seem like what is usually noted on a GIA diamond grading report. Take another look and let us know which lab did the grading.Is this diamond at a brick and mortar store? Do they have a Sarin machine or megascope to double-check the proportions for you?

Debra

Rough_Rock
Thank you both Lawmax and Leonid for your thoughtful replies.
I plugged the data into the Advisor and it declared Brilliance: good, Fire: fair, Scintillation: fair, Spread: v. good. Total visual performance: 5.4 Good – but only if price is main criterion.
Not exactly a glowing recommendation!
I’m certain the data I quoted was that listed with the diamond, but when calculating the depth % I simply added the crown %, pavilion % and girdle %. I hope this is correct?
The information provided on your site has been extremely helpful. Thank you!

Debra

Rough_Rock
Hi,
The specifications I listed came from the little paper the diamond was wrapped in but the jeweler told us a GIA certificate was available. It’s a brick & mortar store but is a very small, single-owner type of place. He’s very ‘old world’ and doesn’t provide a Sarin machine or any kind of scope other than a 10x loupe. We also looked at another diamond which had its Gem Scan certificate but that seemed to provide far less information – very little ‘hard data’.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Debra,Lawmax is right; it doesn't look like GIA data. You can find info on GIA reports at www.gia.org/gemtradelab/reportssvcs.cfm If crown and pavilion data for the stone is correct, it sounds like a steep-deep situation - poor cut. Try to plug the data into the Cut Adviser.Gem Scan is considered as most respectful lab in Canada but we have no information how strict and consistent they are comparing to AGS or GIA. Besides, their reports usually do not contain information about cut at all (at least those that I've seen in the malls and The Bay stores).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results