shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ben

Rough_Rock
Hi all,I recently ordered a custom engagement ring that uses a tension setting. Then I found this forum, and was curious to find out what you experts think of this process, in terms of security, safety for the diamond, etc. For reference, here is a very similar ring:
http://www.idasgems.com/engagementrings/1266.html Thoughts?Thanks in advance,Ben

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your purchase Ben! I wish I could see the finished ring. The diamond sounds spectacular!Enjoy!
smile.gif
lawmax

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Ben,The setting shown in the link you provided appears to have prongs holding the diamond. It is really cool looking and is a great way to get the tension look.Here is a link to some tension settings:
http://www.mickeyroof.com/mr_gai.html
smile.gif
lawmax

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey Ben,
I have sold a few tension settings, and none of my customers have reported any problems. When properly set, you should not have any either.As far as the diamond being more prone to nicking, or breakage, I don't think this is anything to worry about. All diamond can be damaged in any setting. The tension mountings can actually cover more of the girdle than other types of settings, thus resulting in a little better protection than some prong settings.I would also suggest you get insurance on such expensive items, and be sure it's complete coverage (loss,stolen,breakage,etc).Congrats on your purchase!
------------------

diamondmanbob

Rough_Rock
I say #1266 in Las Vegas this past June. It is a very beautiful ring that I would recommend but I would not call it a tension set. Numbers 1219, 1222, 1378, 1381, 1384 and 1387 are tension set. To my knowledge there are only two suppliers so far that know how to tension set properly. They will back up thier product but no heat can be applied to the ring by other than them. No sizing or even engraving. They have to do any work on the ring to guarantee it. I think tension set rings are neat also.
diamondmanbob

Ben

Rough_Rock
bacon,If this ring is not a tension setting, how would you characterize it? Is the website incorrect to describe it this way? I haven't received the actual ring yet, but it had to be custom-constructed around the diamond, and only touches the diamond at the two points along the girdle, I believe.My diamond is a 1.08ct E VVS1 near-ideal cut (60% depth, 58% table), bought from Martin Sheffield at usacerteddiamonds.com, with whom I had a very pleasant buying experience... Might be a bit extravagant, but hey, she's worth it... :)Ben

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Joe, Is there a greater chance to chip the stone in tension setting?But I agree, it looks stunning. I like the one Ben referred.

bacon

Rough_Rock
The ring in that link is not a tension setting but it is beautiful and stunning

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
The tension settings today are spectacular and I do recommend them. The precious metals are especially hardened by what is referred to as 'work-hardening'. This work hardening is accomplished by pressure or by thermal treatment. This special treatment to the precious metal results in the precious metal having a certain springiness which will grip the diamond without the necessity of a bezel or claws. The diamond is basically pressed by the girdle on each side by the ends of the ring. The visual effect of the ring can be absolutely stunning. Each metal end has a small groove called the 'seat' into which a small section of the girdle fits. These settings are very secure.HOWEVER, IT IS IMPERATIVE TO HAVE ALL RISK INSURANCE SO THAT YOU'RE COVERED FOR NO MATTER WHAT MAY HAPPEN. Martin Sheffield
USA Certed Diamonds www.usacerteddiamonds.com
------------------

bacon

Rough_Rock
Tension set is a spectacular setting style. It has been in use for years (at least 10 that I know of)Your seller and manufacturer should give you a lifetime warrenty and gaurentee that the diamond will not be lost. If improperly manufactured this style can be a nightmare.If you are confident in the construction ... simply enjoy your diamond and ring.Joe

KimL

Rough_Rock
Dianmondmanbob-
I just came across this thread regarding tension settings and was wondering what 2 suppliers do the tension setting? Has that number changed since Sept 2000 when this was started?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results