shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockshock

Rough_Rock
My gf and I have seen some very interesting tension settings (e.g. Claude Thibaudeau). Are there more difficulties with placing a loose stone in that type of setting versus more traditional settings?

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most of the manufactures of tension set mountings like to set your diamond. They also like to do all and any repair work in the future. Once your diamond is set lets say a local jeweler were to size that ring, the tension would be lost. They are not repair friendly to most local jewelers.

They look great though, so weigh the pros and cons then you can decide what is most important to you.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I tried on a Steven Kretchmer ring, and while the setting was tres cool, my step mom warned me that her coworker has a tension set and the point of her diamond rubs the spot that it hits on her finger raw.

None of the points on the diamonds I tried on hit my finger, but it was cold outside so my finger was smaller, so think about when your hands swell due to warm weather, fluid intake, female cycle, etc. We have expanding & contracting hands!

Just a minor warning, I am sure its not a big problem or those settings would never sell....

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Ok, as the resident tension setting advocate, I'd say go for it. I personally don't think you have to worry about the cutlet rubbing on your skin. I think the only way that would happen is if the ring is way too tight, or if the ring was just made incorrectly. You might want to check out some of the other tension setting manufacturers, particularly Gelin and Abaci as they are affordable and well made in my opinion. Of course, I'm biased since my ring is a gelin and abaci.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results