color
clarity

Tension Settings - Do you like them?

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
After he passed away, sorry to omit that. :oops:

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock
IMO Some tension settings are OK (the feminine looking ones) and I wouldn't mind having one to wear. I enjoy the modern styles too. I think it would be great to have one to wear as an alternative to regular wedding set

But I prob wouldn't wear it every day due to thinking that the stone doesn't seem as secure to me.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
They aren't my taste, but I really love some men's tension settings.

greta2603

Rough_Rock
I'm not a fan. I have fairly short chubby fingers, so a tension set would just look too manly on me. I like my rings to have a bit of height as that's what makes them feel feminine to me.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them in theory - they are stunning and I drool over all a local shop window where they are displayed. I don't like them on my hand though. I only know one person with one in real life and to be honest, it doesn't look amazing.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the one I mentioned earlier. I love the look of the tension setting but this is a little too bulky for my tastes! If I were to make this again I'd add another side layer so the spread was better and perhaps drop the middle U a bit!

You live and learn!

Diamond Chameleon6_1_1.JPG

Diamond Chameleon15_1_1.JPG

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I also think of a tension setting as something for a man. I was interested to see the more feminine ones posted, but they don't appeal to me at all for my own wear and I would really hate an engagement ring in any variation of this style.

But I think the masculine ones are very attractive for a man and I think the stones that look most attractive in them are square or rectangle, such as emerald cut or asscher. Or maybe princess cut--though I think the square step cuts fit the tension ring vibe more.

I don't like to see rounds in them and I also don't like the look of them with colored stones. I think they look best in plat or white gold or something like titanium with a SMALL square step cut stone on a hand that has knuckle hair rather than nail polish on it, if you know what I mean.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1323727059|3080027 said:
Most of them seem to have a very masculine feel but I have seen one or two that I thought were pretty rings. They are not
my taste (unless its for a guy) but I could appreciate it on someone else.

My thoughts exactly. I think I like square shapes best in tension settings.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling said:
tyty333|1323727059|3080027 said:
Most of them seem to have a very masculine feel but I have seen one or two that I thought were pretty rings. They are not
my taste (unless its for a guy) but I could appreciate it on someone else.

My thoughts exactly. I think I like square shapes best in tension settings.

Thritto.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I like Kenny's tension-set octavia. I like the first James Allen mounting. Otherwise, I think that they're only appealing from the profile, since they are usually so bulky from the face-up position.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1323818674|3080862 said:
I think they look best in plat or white gold or something like titanium with a SMALL square step cut stone on a hand that has knuckle hair rather than nail polish on it, if you know what I mean.

Well if you think I'm going to grow knuckle hair, think on! :-o :bigsmile: :-o

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I do like the way some tension settings look but for me they are too bulky. I would also be worried all the time my stone would fall out, they just do not look safe.

malnik

Rough_Rock
I looked in to G & A for my wife's engagement ring. I really like the science behind tension rings. It gives a cool factor over normal and typical "tiffany style" e-rings. There are a few particular styles that I like but the deal didn't go through because the centerstone that I've already purchased was too big from the setting. I went with mroe tradition setting at the end.

A few months later, I told my wife I looked into tension rings for her. She said should wouldn't have like wearing one as an engagement ring.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I like the science behind them, too. The stones are held in there *very* securely.
I generally don't like the style of the rings with a big exception of the "by-pass" style. I love the look of by-pass tension rings.
My friend owns the platinum and yellow gold ring shown below with a larger diamond than in the picture - hers is over 1 carat.
It looks wonderful on her hand and I always admire it when I see it.

dia497.jpg

dia498.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never seen one IRL so I'm not sure, but some of the pictures on websites I've seen, I've liked.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results