shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Hi Y''all!

I have fallen in love with the tension settings, and have found one that is really close to perfect for me. The Gelin-Abaci TR145, which is a tension set ring with channel set diamonds on either side. It will be in 18k yellow gold with a 1-carat diamond.

The TR145 setting is about 4.5mm wide as it touches the center diamond, and the diamond will be approx 6.5mm wide. I would like the sides to be tapered as they reach the diamond, decreasing the gold on the sides so that a little more of the diamond is exposed from the side view (as looking at the channel set diamonds).

Apparently GAI won''t taper the gold, as it would decrease the structural integrity of the setting. While I appreciate that they are being so cautious - does anyone have any suggestions as to any alternatives to this particular ring? Structural integrity in a tension set ring is very important, but I am wondering if there is any way to maintain the integrity while showing off the diamond a little more???

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks -

Adrienne

gaitr145.jpg

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Here's some more views of the GAI TR145...

tr145.jpg

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,
If Gelin-Abaci will not taper the ring, you can bet there is a structural reason for it. They are one of the two best companies in the U.S. that make tension set rings. There are others that will do it but I would put my trust in what Gelin-Abacu says. They are also expensive but its your diamond. Oh, by the way, that is a beautiful ring!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful setting!! Be sure to post pictures when you get it!
2.gif
1.gif

diamond boy

Rough_Rock
Adrienne
I love tension settings as well and I'm having one made for a 1ct stone with small tear drop holes on the side to expose more of the brilliance of my girlfriends stone. This is a great alternative to thinning the band because it wont compromise the integrity of the setting. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon and I can post pics if I figure out how with my digital camera. I'm not the most computer literate dude on this forum.
9.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Diamond Boy, I would love to see a picture of your ring!

My main concern with this setting is that I am worried that the well-cut 1 carat diamond I will be purchasing will not look as displayed as it should. The third picture from the left worries me, with the setting as tall as the diamond it would seem that the diamond could end up looking small and less significant than it is.

Of course, it is a tension set and from other angles the diamond will be fully seen, looking all wonderful in all its diamond glory...

Am I being neurotic? Someone just tell me that my diamond will look prominant and great in this setting and I am just being neurotic???
confused.gif
Whatcha all think?

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to give this thread a little "closure"
1.gif

I had spent a lot of time worrying about whether to go with a tension set ring or a more traditional setting. This email from my fiance is what finally put me at ease.
1.gif
Now I'm very excited about the tension set ring that I have chosen!

Anyway - for those of you that are contemplating tension settings - consider this response from my fiance!

"There are lots a nice rings out there. The one you found today for example. I like the tension setting because it is unique. Comparing all those rings the tension has the uniqueness of being "tension". What percentage do you figure of all engagement/wedding rings are tension set? 1%? I would bet even less. With a tension set ring you would be part of a very exclusive and unique club.

No matter what other people have, when you're comparing rings you will always have the most unique design.

You are one of a kind."

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I just luv tension settings! Very well done!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results