shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension Mounted Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
hey everyone
I haven''t been on here since November because I have been busy planning my wedding but I just found out that my future Bro in Law is looking for a ring now and was looking for some advice. I learned a TON from all of you and I offered him a lot of advice. What I couldn''t tell him was anything at all about tension mounted rings.

He is looking to buy a princess diamond and wanted it set in a tension mounted ring. Any thoughts on durability? Places to buy? Is it true that there are only 4 places that make them? Do they all require you to buy the stone from there too? Other thoughts for a newbie? I will forward your feedback (more likely the link to it) so that he can learn from all of you!

Thanks.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2007 12:14:57 AM
Author:tdiggity
hey everyone
I haven''t been on here since November because I have been busy planning my wedding but I just found out that my future Bro in Law is looking for a ring now and was looking for some advice. I learned a TON from all of you and I offered him a lot of advice. What I couldn''t tell him was anything at all about tension mounted rings.

He is looking to buy a princess diamond and wanted it set in a tension mounted ring. Any thoughts on durability? Places to buy? Is it true that there are only 4 places that make them? Do they all require you to buy the stone from there too? Other thoughts for a newbie? I will forward your feedback (more likely the link to it) so that he can learn from all of you!

Thanks.
It will be fine for setting; get insurance.

Dimend Scaasi comes to mind. Pearlmans? Boone Rings if he wants titanium.

You can get your stone anywhere.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
You should just rec to him to come to PS and do a thread search - he will find more than he ever probably even wanted to know that way!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are more than four places that make them.
But I'd only trust one of the main ones who specialize in it.
Apparently there are special alloys and processes needed to do a good job.

You don't want a stone with a thin girdle or a lot of inclulsions.
I'm not sure about the cut off clarity, even then it may depend on the lab or individual inclusions in your stone.
The reputable tensions setters will examine the stone and also look for internal stresses with some gadget that uses polarized light.

To be on the safe side I'd pick a setter first and get adivce from them on picking a stone.
And no they don't require you buy a stone from them.
I bought one stone online and had it set by Gelin Abaci, though I did have to send it trough a local jewler, whom I paid.
I bought another stone and mailed it directly to Boone's Rings in Georga.
They both do nice work.

Steven Kretchmer and Niessen (In Germany) are the two most exepnsive.

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts so far...what are your experiences with this type of ring...are they durable? Have they held up over the long term? Any other tips that would help him in his search?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only had my platinum Gelin Abaci a little over a year.
The diamond is still there.

I'd consider titanium.
You'll save a ton of money.
It looks just a little darker than platinum.

I read somewhere that titanium is stronger for a tension setting, but with so many people selling platinum and not titanium who are you going to believe?

Look into whether the stone is insured against damage druring setting.
Steven Kretchmer said no.
Boone Titanium said yes.
I don't remember what Gelin Abaci's policy is.

If the setter won't accept financial responsiblity if they damage it then consider your own insurance from Chubb or Jeweler's Mutual.

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
Ah good point...never thought about asking about insurance during setting...surprised they don''t offer that!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results