shape
carat
color
clarity

tension mount vs. four prong setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pastaeater

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at buying a diamond engagement ring but I''m confused about the security of the tension mounted setting. It seems to me that the tension mount on the princess cut stone would be very secure since there is a greater percentage of contact between the ring and the stone. However I have gotten mixed answers from jewelers on the subject. Some say the tension mount is very secure others say the four prongs is more secure...Please help!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Howdy Scott!

If properly done, tension settings can be very secure... But I'd trust only a tension ring done by Gelin and Abaci or Steve Kretchmer (sp??). These companies are specialized in these settings and will provide you high quality and service. BTW, not all diamonds can be tension set... They have to be mostly SI 1 or better and with no or minor inclusions near the edges...
A four prong setting is very secure too and can be done by any (good) setter. They're a lot less inexpensive, but not as unusual (and beautiful
2.gif
) in my opinion. They have very different looks... One is very classical and pretty common, the other is sooo stylish and modern. It's up to you! (But I prefer tensions!
9.gif
)

pastaeater

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice i had no idea about all that! i should probably work out the details with my jeweler before buying the ring since i'm considering purchasing the stone online...thanks again!
you saved me from a lot of headaches
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results