shape
carat
color
clarity

Tennis Necklace- thoughts?

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I just received a tennis necklace the other day and I would love some thoughts on it. I am a bit disappointed in the size of the diamonds considering the carat weight. It is a 16” 17 carat necklace (3.2mm diamonds). It appears (to me) to be smaller than 17 carats, or maybe I’m already having diamond shrinkage syndrome I have a few days to decide if I am going to keep it or not. I will say the diamond quality is excellent very white, VERY firey. I’m very pleased with that part of it. I just thought 17 carats would look bigger? I’ll include a photo of it on me (black shirt) as well as a model photo of a 10 carat necklace in the same setting which in my opinion looks like same as the 17 carat one I have. Thanks for your help!

IMG_8808.jpeg IMG_8807.jpeg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
The total carat weight doesn't reflect as much as the size of each diamond. Those do look like 3.2mm diamonds

kel12345

Rough_Rock
The total carat weight doesn't reflect as much as the size of each diamond. Those do look like 3.2mm diamonds

Right, I know there’s a lot that goes into how a diamond appears despite carat weight. They could be carrying weight in the depth etc. but when looking at the 10 carat it just looks about the same to me. I’ve seen other tennis necklaces in person around this carat weight and they appeared bigger. Maybe it’s just me and I need to up the carat weight, Im not sure I’m very confused lol

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
To me, yours definitely looks larger. Take into account, it's a little bit extra distributed over a BUNCH of diamonds, so 7 more carats is going to be a slight difference. Also the setting on the 10ct looks a little further spaced apart - granted on the over of mm, but that will add up over a necklace.

But yes - yours definitely looks bigger to me, and I think it looks stunning on you!

concun

Shiny_Rock
To me, the second picture (white shirt) is a bit more zoom in than the first one (black shirt) and the length seems shorter as well. Maybe that is why you can’t compare the carat weight. I am having a 4mm made and in bezel. I want to make sure it is present. What you have is actually very nice for everyday wear. If it is sparkle like you said, this size would be very nice.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Have you checked the diamonds with a caliper? My wedding band is 3.60mm stones

kel12345

Rough_Rock
To me, the second picture (white shirt) is a bit more zoom in than the first one (black shirt) and the length seems shorter as well. Maybe that is why you can’t compare the carat weight. I am having a 4mm made and in bezel. I want to make sure it is present. What you have is actually very nice for everyday wear. If it is sparkle like you said, this size would be very nice.

Thank you, that’s a good point. Length is an inch shorter so I suppose that would add another carat. Are you doing 4mm with bezel included? I’m sure that will look great!

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Have you checked the diamonds with a caliper? My wedding band is 3.60mm stones

I have not, but that’s a great idea I will do that. Although I do trust the jeweler so I’m sure 3.2 is accurate but it never hurts to double check. Pretty rings!!

kel12345

Rough_Rock
To me, yours definitely looks larger. Take into account, it's a little bit extra distributed over a BUNCH of diamonds, so 7 more carats is going to be a slight difference. Also the setting on the 10ct looks a little further spaced apart - granted on the over of mm, but that will add up over a necklace.

But yes - yours definitely looks bigger to me, and I think it looks stunning on you!

Good point and thank you :)

concun

Shiny_Rock
@kel12345 i am doing 4mm stones plus half bezel setting. I hope total width would be less than 6mm. The vendor estimates at 25tcw.

kel12345

Rough_Rock
Plot twist they are actually 3.4mm not 3.2mm which makes more sense with the carat weight, but very confused on how that happened

kel12345

Rough_Rock

I measured myself and they are actually 3.4mm (not 3.2mm which was advertised) which make more sense with the carat weight… I’m still a bit confused thanks for your insight though!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
At 3.4mm, that’s about .15ct per stone. Then count the number is diamonds and see if it adds up.

That necklace on the model hits above her collarbone which seems like more than a one-inch difference. Plus you can’t see how graduated the stones are in the back. But again, her the front stones seems smaller and further apart than yours.

Tennis necklaces seem to be tough to judge. The short picture is 23ct, and the longer is 11ct.

IMG_7111.jpeg IMG_7110.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results