shape
carat
color
clarity

Temperature and Emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can room temperature affect emeralds or is it just hot and cold temperatures on the stone. Any more information about how fragile they are and likelihood of chipping/cracking would be helpful. Any idea what price a top quality emerald about 1 carat would cost.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Room temperature is not an issue. Some of the fillers that help the look of clarity degrade with long term exposure to UV light, sunlight. Temperature in those stones is not the issue.

Emeralds can chip or abrade more readily than many other high quality gemstones because they are relatively soft. Not too soft, but they do require extra care in wearing them unlike diamonds.

Super fine columbian emerald in 1ct plus can be in excess of $5000 per carat and possibly up to 10K per carat if you shop in high price places. You will find this material Very difficult to obtain. Reasonably fine emerald is above $3K per carat in one carat size.

African (Zambian), and Brazilian origin emeralds are somewhat less costly but occasionaly may be found in relatively fine qualities. They cost somewhat less than Columbian. They are rarely quite as good in color.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oldminer: Thanks for your reply. I have read that extreme temperature changes can affect an emerald is this only when putting it under hot water and then cold water say or is this not true at all. I also read the same thing about sapphire.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No, sapphire is much less prone to temperature damage than emerald. I don't think you would have a problem with emerald either if you are talking about temperature changes that you would have your hand under (hot or cold water).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results