shape
carat
color
clarity

Temp setting for proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joegolo

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!

I bought my diamond about a month ago, and I''ve got that in hand, but my ring needed some additional finishing touches, so it won''t be done for another week or so. I''ve got plans for the proposal this weekend, but I only have the diamond and no ring now. The ring is being made by a family friend''s jewelery company at cost, and he said he can''t do a temp ring for me because it can''t be resold afterwards (prongs will get all messed up after removing the diamond). Right now I''m planning to do something cute with a ring pop, but should I look into getting the diamond set in a temporary silver or other low cost ring? Any idea how much that would cost and if the diamond would even be secure? If too expensive or it''s unsafe then I''ll just continue with my current plan, and my gf and I will go pick up and get the ring set together.

Thanks all!
Joe

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Joe,

My fiance proposed to me with a temp setting (simple 14K 4 prong setting). He said it was pretty inexpensive, but I don''t know how much. Maybe you can just get a silver band or some other inexpensive ring and tell her that her ring is still being made. I personally think a silver band would work better than a ring pop but that''s just my honest opinion. Either way, she''ll be thrilled that you asked her and to wait a little while for a ring is just a minor technicality.

Good luck!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perhaps a cute but inexpensive ring that could later be used as a RHR?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1, can the ring maker not rush the ring considering you need it for a proposal????

#2, if not, can you postpone the proposal a couple of weeks? I think it will be really less memorable if the diamond is not in the ring!

#3, if the first two ideas don''t work, then yes, you need to go have it set in a 14k wg solitaire so she can at least have a diamond ring. It may cost $100-200. I''d say your ringmaker ought to sell you one at cost.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I have exactly opposite views to Diamondseeker on what makes a proposal memorable and what must be there (the people, the timing, the circumstances, the words - not the ring), but chacun á son gôut.

Having said that, a simple solitaire in gold will set you off a couple of hundreds plus a few tens for setting. It can be easily resold for scrap, bringing total cost down to $150 or so. Silver will be a lot less.

Best wishes for your engagement and future life together!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/21/2009 6:13:26 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
I have exactly opposite views to Diamondseeker on what makes a proposal memorable and what must be there (the people, the timing, the circumstances, the words - not the ring), but chacun á son gôut.

Having said that, a simple solitaire in gold will set you off a couple of hundreds plus a few tens for setting. It can be easily resold for scrap, bringing total cost down to $150 or so. Silver will be a lot less.

I agree, OMC. I would kill my BF if he put off a proposal because of a ring (well, not now, but assuming that the timw was right for an engagement
1.gif
)

If, however, having the rng on her finger is important to the girl, then you should have a ring. I think it would be a shame to sell it for scrap though. I am sentimental.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
If you still propose without the ring, then she will get 2 fabulous surprises!!! First she gets engaged, and then she gets to see the ring! I think that sounds like fun! Good luck!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I am with EHR2009...

I would go for a temp setting that is somewhat nice looking, and then, either on birth of first child, her birthday or first anniversary, have the temp setting used for a colored stone...

And, how about something romantic and fun for the two of you on ring pickup day? Even if its picking up food from her or your favorite restaurant and having a picnic?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 6:13:26 AM
Author: oldmancoyote

Oh, good grief! Most people have hopefully discussed a future together before the official proposal, so in many cases, the giving of the ring is the symbol that it is really official! The first thing all her friends will say when she says "Guess what?! We''re engaged!!" is "Show me the ring!!!".
9.gif
So I''d certainly set the diamond for the proposal even if the setting is not finished. It''s just one part of the perfect proposal..certainly not the only or most important.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you can''t wait on the proposal, then I would say go for a simple setting in a gold band. Like someone else mentioned, you can always use that setting for something else in the future, such as a birthstone or a nice RHR for her. It''s always nice to actually get a ring when a guy proposes. Makes it more official.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results