shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me more about these earrings

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
photo%203%20(1).jpg

My mum gave me these earrings a few months ago. They were her late mother's and I assume she got them at least before 1950. I think the diamonds are an older cut, not sure if they are an old mine cut or old European cut (I am not sure how to tell the difference between the two of them!) but definitely know they are not round brilliants. One is a slightly better quality than the other as it has more sparkle IRL. I am not sure how big they are, the picture shows them next to my 1 carat emerald cut engagement ring (which is filthy) to show them for size, but the stones are cut quite deep.

The blue stones are terrible. I think they may be a costume stone that my Grandma will have had done to match some other jewellery. I reckon she will have had the diamonds left over from another project and will have had them set with the blue as a temporary project. They are definitely not sapphires, they are probably glass that has got chipped over the years. When I suggested replacing them my mum looked shocked and seemed quite attached to them and what they mean. The earrings are set in platinum and the setting is really poor quality.

So what shall I do? What do we think about them? What sort of cut are they? And should I plan to reset them in a similar setting so it keeps the integrity of them or should I do something else?

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
earrings2.jpg And another shot showing the in ear view!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Those are lovely and they look great with your dark hair!! It was very common to use synthetic sapphires in the early part of the century and if your mom is sentimental about them I would not change a thing, they look fabulous on you! Tell me your hair is not naturally curly too, and that color? I am soooo jealous :mrgreen:

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking they might date from around the 1920's. My late grandmother had a diamond ring haloed with French cut sapphires (its about 2.5-3ct) and a matching brooch that had three diamonds all haloed with French cuts. My mum has the ring but the pin is no longer in the family. I suspect that she may have had these earrings to go with them.

I think the blue of the "sapphires" is too strong and distracts away from the diamonds. One of them has also had the faceted face chipped off, so it looks scruffy. I know my mum is attached to them but that drives me mad.

Thanks for the hair compliments! My hair is curly (I've just started to stop straightening it) and it is almost my natural colour (a semi-perm is almost all washed out of it!)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results