shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me everything about this ring !

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
Came across this semi-locally and can’t stop thinking about it. What can you tell me about this ring ? How old is it ? Is it an OEC center? (appraised as .85 carat And round brilliant, 18k gold) and are the sides rose cut ? Tell me everything you might know about this ring. I’m a little obsessed and don’t want to over pay just because I like it. It’s a make-offer kind of thing! What would YOU pay for it ? 749956D4-8FD6-4498-986A-6AECF004C35D.jpeg 6AEA274A-22B8-455D-872B-F909FF97DC17.jpeg 4582ADB8-71B0-4AA8-BB18-FDEDD9CAED4C.jpeg 8F5790BF-5574-4EDB-A8C2-CEC39A789282.jpeg 88C06855-BA55-4BB9-A4A9-28A49164EDD9.jpeg DB1DEE3D-94BB-4004-B8E3-050B8EB03877.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I like the overall look of the ring, I agree with the listing description that the center diamond is a (poorly-cut) modern round brilliant, as opposed to an OEC or a Transitional Diamond.

IMO it is a fairly lightweight ring at only 2.8 grams. The base of the ring is not shown so unclear as to its condition.

To me, the ring would not be worth purchasing as the center stone doesn't appeal to me.

I don't know of an appropriate price for the ring but maybe check Rubylane for comparables?

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I agree with marymm...gold is really lightweight for a diamond ring.

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
Can anyone else offer some feedback ? I’d like to make an offer on this ring but I don’t know where to start. Thank you, pricescopers! AF2F49DB-0513-45D0-8FBC-D0B2548E5BEC.png

Attachments

• B9BCD2FC-60E7-4082-80EA-69065D49FCEA.png
    B9BCD2FC-60E7-4082-80EA-69065D49FCEA.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 05FD4222-4444-4AB5-A9AB-C02E497DE166.png
    05FD4222-4444-4AB5-A9AB-C02E497DE166.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 6E15857C-82E1-4B8F-AD55-09A438E08969.png
    6E15857C-82E1-4B8F-AD55-09A438E08969.png
    972.7 KB · Views: 40
  • A0210F0B-49E6-43CE-A682-7D68579B3A11.png
    A0210F0B-49E6-43CE-A682-7D68579B3A11.png
    892.5 KB · Views: 41
  • FCAAB593-4055-45D8-BC33-759BA6D0BCA2.png
    FCAAB593-4055-45D8-BC33-759BA6D0BCA2.png
    993.6 KB · Views: 42

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked Ruby Lane for comps? What condition is the ring in (prongs intact? Loose stones?)? What are they asking? If you want the ring it’s really a matter of how much it’s worth TO YOU.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert, so take my input for what it is.

I have never seen a ring made of two metals and fused together in quite this way. It makes me wonder if this is some sort of Frankenring, the desirable parts of an older (white metal) ring were re-used with the newer, yellow gold “ frame.” Because the cut of the accent stones is so irregular, I’d think of them as “mine cut” rather than “rose cut,” though I suppose that technically, either term would work.

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
I was wondering about that aspect too. Seems odd for the two metals to be fused together.

I have never seen a ring made of two metals and fused together in quite this way. It makes me wonder if this is some sort of Frankenring, the desirable parts of an older (white metal) ring were re-used with the newer, yellow gold “ frame.” Because the cut of the accent stones is so irregular, I’d think of them as “mine cut” rather than “rose cut,” though I suppose that technically, either term would work.

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
Yes, comps were anywhere from $950-$10,000 So not terribly helpful.

Have you checked Ruby Lane for comps? What condition is the ring in (prongs intact? Loose stones?)? What are they asking? If you want the ring it’s really a matter of how much it’s worth TO YOU.

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
I came across this and noticed it has the same fused metal look. And it’s a very similar ring. Maybe it was a trend ?

3CEBF693-37DB-491B-BE26-53E817B8308F.png

Attachments

• 07B8DB1E-B662-4649-89DD-5F8005A11291.png
    07B8DB1E-B662-4649-89DD-5F8005A11291.png
    340.1 KB · Views: 36
  • BE453592-9D77-4A71-9FA4-F27FDC2DEEF1.png
    BE453592-9D77-4A71-9FA4-F27FDC2DEEF1.png
    352.5 KB · Views: 41

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see mostly rustic rose cuts in the halo with a few maybe old mine.

if I loved the ring as a whole, after seeing in person and nothing glaring to my eye

I’d be hard pressed to make a blind offer to someone - so I’d quit right there.

instead of looking at comps for the ring as a whole
Look at comps for the centerstone. Poorly cut modern or even super late transitional, using their loose description as a guide.
I think 1500 would be very fair to the seller - assuming the stones check out at jeweler. And it needs no work to be worn without loss of stones.
And I couldn’t find something else more appealing with that 1.5k

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
How useful is the appraisal valuation? It was valued at $6250 in 2018.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you haven't posted the appraisal evaluation, it is impossible to opine as to its usefulness ... that said, if the appraisal is actually evaluating the current iteration of the ring as posted in this thread, the $6,500 figure is wildly inflated to the point of uselessness.

The center stone is unlikely to be original to the setting. The center stone is a low-colored modern round brilliant quite poorly cut and likely with clarity issues.

The setting most likely had an antique-cut diamond or colored gemstone originally. It looks like someone removed the original stone and replaced it by just dropping in this bezelled MRB ... and it was not done well.

In terms of pricing, people here are telling you it possibly could be worth $1500 ... but most PSers would not be interested in this ring since generally speaking the bulk of a ring's value is in the center stone and/or in the intrinsic value of an original antique ring ... here, the center stone is a poorly cut MRB, and the ring itself is a hybrid modern/antique ill-combined construction.

If you find it pleasing and you must have it, ask the vendor for their rock bottom price on it, and pay it. Alternately, if the store has an adequate return policy, buy it and have a reputable third-party/objective professional appraiser take a look at it.

Last edited:

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for that very detailed information. I really appreciate it. I posted all the information from the valuation in the original post. I didn’t want to post a photo of it because it has personal information on it.

Since you haven't posted the appraisal evaluation, it is impossible to opine as to its usefulness ... but if it is actually evaluating the current iteration of the ring, the $6,500 figure is wildly inflated to the point of uselessness.

The center stone is unlikely to be original to the setting. The center stone is a modern round brilliant quite poorly cut and likely with clarity issues.

The setting most likely had an antique-cut diamond or colored gemstone originally. It looks like someone removed the original stone and replaced it by just dropping in this bezelled MRB ... and it was not done well.

In terms of pricing, people here are telling you it possibly could be worth $1500 ... but most PSers would not be interested in this ring since generally speaking the bulk of a ring's value is in the center stone and/or in the intrinsic value of an original antique ring ... here, the center stone is a poorly cut MRB, and the ring itself is a hybrid modern/antique poorly-combined construction.

If you find it pleasing and you must have it, ask the vendor for their rock bottom price on it, and pay it. Alternately, if the store has an adequate return policy, buy it and have a reputable third-party/objective professional appraise take a look at it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1616354164374.png

Is this what you are saying is an appraisal evaluation? If so, it is also poorly done, perhaps by someone not skilled in the trade or someone actually not in the trade . This looks to me more like the store's description.

An appraisal/evaluation should include diamond details, such as color and clarity according to GIA (or similar) standards, and dimensions, for both the center stone and the melee diamonds. It should include the period/era of the original setting, and should include the fact the center stone is not original to the ring.

Still, it seems you like and want the ring -- pay what you think your pocket can afford.

Good luck.

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
1616354164374.png

Is this what you are saying is an appraisal evaluation? If so, it is also poorly done, perhaps by someone not skilled in the trade or someone actually not in the trade . This looks to me more like the store's description.

An appraisal/evaluation should include diamond details, such as color and clarity according to GIA (or similar) standards, and dimensions, for both the center stone and the melee diamonds. It should include the period/era of the original setting, and should include the fact the center stone is not original to the ring.

Still, it seems you like and want the ring -- pay what you think your pocket can afford.

Good luck.

Yes, this is what the seller said was the appraisal. I completely agree with you. It’s very vague. But for now this is all the info I have. Your input is really helpful.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think that appraisal amount is useful, no.

you can find similar weight rustic rose cut halos on Etsy for under 1k. For a non diamond center.

most of the ‘value‘ is going to be in the center stone. Not much in the mounting. That’s not saying (with gold prices what they are) you could replicate it for less.
very good clarity is very vague especially with the statement of very good proportions.
not perfect comps- because we just don’t know - but what the heck.

4CDEE639-DA48-4793-9227-EF6CF5A48DA9.jpeg

70F28633-D776-4D9B-9386-0DA41325F7E7.jpeg
and these are generous examples, and at retail pricing.

but yes- buy what makes your heart sing.
you could spring for a new appraisal from a non biased appraiser and go from there. There’s a listing here of suggested appraisers to use.
I doubt the seller would like it much.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the appraisal dollar amount you were given
assume the seller wants 50-75% of it.

go ‘shopping‘ on Etsy /instagram/local for that amount.
is it comparable to your eye to this ring?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First thing is you need to check each and every Diamond with your fingernail to see if any diamonds “move”. You need to check that all diamonds have their claws, none snapped/worn/missing. Antique rings usually mean worn prongs and worn prongs mean loose diamonds which equals either $$$ to rehab the ring or loss of diamond/s.
Second you or someone really needs to assess the quality of the centre diamond. The price difference between an J / K colour with SI2/I1 clarity vs a H colour VS clarity can be $1,000 on a .85 diamond.
Thirdly, the middle diamond being a modern round brillant detracts from the “antique ness” of the ring. It’s not a “genuine Victorian era ring” its got a replacement centre modern diamond. That reduces the price.
Assuming USD/$, the highest I would pay would be $2,000 if with a loupe you can’t see any substantial inclusions and all the diamonds are secure within their claws.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results