shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about fibroids

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have fibroids. At the last check, about 18 months ago, they weren't a problem but the doctor noted that they exsisted. About a year ago I started leaking urine slightly. It wasn't consistant and didn't bother me. About 2 months ago it became more of a problem but was off and on. It's too much though now and I've decided to see my doctor about it. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I'm not completely sure that leaking urine is because of the fibroids, but I don't have a history of bladder problems and it's so variable that I believe it to be at this point. Both my mother and sister have them.

I've been reading up a bit over the weekend and have started worrying a bit. I've only just turned 30 and don't have children. I don't know if I want them, but I'd like to keep my options open. I currently have an IUD as a method of birth control, which is one of the things that is recommended for helping with the heavy bleeding that can accompany them. Reading on the internet about treatment options is very worrying to me. I can't continue with leaking urine though, it's really become a problem over the past couple of months and is effecting me quite badly.

Has anyone had fibroids treated? Anything I should ask tomorrow? Please share your experiences.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what the treatment is but I had one removed. At first they thought it was just a small polyp but instead it was a fibroid (a bit smaller than golf ball size) mostly hidden by my cervix. They just reached in a twisted it off. It took a couple of minutes and was fairly painful and I felt crampy afterwards but I was totally fine the next day. I have to say having it removed helped hugely with my periods. Before they were horrible, I would have to take off at least one day a month just because it was so, so messy. Afterwards it was much more normal.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My bff just had surgery to have hers removed. She had two miscarriages, one around 7 weeks and the other at about 16 weeks. The doctor thinks the fibroids had something to do with it. She had five inside her uterus.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

There are many reasons for urinary incontinence--and the presence of fibroids may or may not be amongst the causes. Your MD will do a history and physical, then perhaps some testing (pelvic ultrasound, urodynamic testing). A referral to a Gyne might be in order. Good luck.

cheers--Sharon

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Hi Addy,

My mom had multiple fibroids in her late 30s and had them removed surgically. That was about 5 years before she had me... I think the only issue was that she had to be on bed rest at the end of pregnancy and had a c-section, but her case I believe was quite extensive - and it was with whatever technologies were available in the 70s. I guess I wanted to say that hope is not lost to be able to have children after fibroids.

I have a small fibroid, and have noticed a recent issue with slight incontinence/urgency as well - but it only happens during the high-progesterone times (2nd half of my cycle). I haven't opted to do any procedures yet, so would be interested to hear what you end up doing.

Do you know how many/how big/where they are? There is a huge difference of impact depending on these factors.

Good luck...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all!

I know that the largest 18 months ago was the size of my thumb from middle knuckle to finger tip. I don't remember how many I had or where they were, just the tech holding up her hand to show me approx how large one was.

I've been to the GP and of course they want to do a bunch of tests. I've also started keeping a journal of when I drink, when I pee, and if I've leaked urine on the sanitary napkin. Of course, last week I leaked urine fairly heavily nearly every day and often had an incredible urgency to go, and this week I'm suddenly bleeding and not leaking urine at all. I don't typically get a period (have IUD) but this was bright red, thin blood that meant I needed to change a tampon and towel very often over 4 hours, and then after that clots of blood for going on 2 days so far.

This is fun!

Thank you all for the support and sharing your experiences. I am truly worried and know that the tests are going to take a while so this is very helpful. I know it can be a million other things, all of which will be tested for.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been for the ultrasound and back to the GP. I have a fibroid the size of my closed fist pressing against my bladder. The doctor drew a quick sketch of how large it was and where it was located. My womb is the same size, a closed fist, and this is on the left side and more of the fibroid is on the bottom than the top. The doctor says that it's not currently blocking my fallopian tubes and isn't connected to them, but the speed of growth - this size from the size of a thumbnail in about 18 months - is concerning and something should be done in case it does get larger or causes fertility problems.

Slightly concerning, but trying not to be. That seems large to me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results