shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about DIY rings

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have seen a couple mentions of snap-tite or pre-notched rings in other forums on PS lately. I had never heard of these before. I googled and found some info but I would love to know more about them.

Could I buy one in my size (8 1/2)? I haven't seen any that large. Could I get a 9.13 x 9.15 x 5.64 stone to fit into a 9mm setting? I have a diamond that I'm trying to decide to do with and it would be great if I could look at it in white (and maybe yellow) metal around the house and outside in natural light without freaking out that it is going to fall out of the stone holder ring that I have.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that I would love to learn how to make some fashion rings because I find that my eyes are much bigger than my budget! I inherited the diamond that I am referring to. I would never have a diamond that large otherwise. There are so many rings that I would love to have but will never be able to afford. It's hard to even narrow down my wish list because I keep seeing such amazing inspiration on this site. :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had personal experience with them but recall researching them awhile ago. While many had success others had stones fall out. Google "snap-tite pricescope". Based on what I recall, I would hesitate using them on anything but an inexpensive, hard, clean and calibrated sized stone. So I wouldn't go that route if in your shoes. Regardless what you decided, please have a professional bench do the setting...you have a large diamond of sentimental value that can't be replaced.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lilmosun, Thanks for the reply! :) I was only thinking about a DIY setting for looking at the diamond in the house or on my patio. Not wearing like really wearing. I would be keeping an eye on it at all times! :bigsmile: I am trying to decide whether to recut it and if it will look ok in white gold.

Edit- And I really want a large ruby or red spinel but that may not be in the cards, so I might just have to settle for a lab one. I thought a DIY setting might be an ok choice for that.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have used one like snap tite for my gemstone engagement ring from a prior fiance when I first started coming here years ago. It was okay. I still own the ring and the stone is sitting just fine in it but it was silver and we have found I am allergic to anything but platinum so no settings like those anymore for me. Plus it wasn't my favourite that the one I bought was unfinished. It didn't shine like finished metals do so it just didn't look as nice.

I think a stuller (sp??)solitaire would be better and more secure and a jeweller could set that for you pretty easily. I've had that done in the past too and I think it just looked so much nicer and is relatively inexpensive as well :) One of my favourite stolen rings was set in a stuller (Sp????)solitaire :)

I can take a picture if you like of it later?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MeowMeow, Thanks, I'd love to see a photo!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I took a few. The bottom damage was all me. It was a 5 or 5.5 I think and while I am a 6.5 again that just does not fit lmao but I needed to see the size and make sure I still liked it so I snapped and spread it to much bigger than even my size now. So ignore the bottom!
Also it sits in there wonky I think because of it being the kind of setting it is. And you can see how being unfinished hurts it a bit. (In my opinion) I plan to reset this sucker someday though :D
20180807_073619.jpg 20180807_073635.jpg 20180807_073650.jpg

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I took a few. The bottom damage was all me. It was a 5 or 5.5 I think and while I am a 6.5 again that just does not fit lmao but I needed to see the size and make sure I still liked it so I snapped and spread it to much bigger than even my size now. So ignore the bottom!
Also it sits in there wonky I think because of it being the kind of setting it is. And you can see how being unfinished hurts it a bit. (In my opinion) I plan to reset this sucker someday though :D
20180807_073619.jpg 20180807_073635.jpg 20180807_073650.jpg

:geek2:Is that an Aquamarine? It is so pretty!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
:geek2:Is that an Aquamarine? It is so pretty!

Thank you :D it is :) it's looking more saturated in this picture than it usually is though. It's raining out today so the light is dim but I like my stones a little paler so I still love this little thing :D

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:praise: I can see why, it is very nice and just think of all the endless possibilities you have to do a reset with it!:mrgreen2: That would be gorgeous with 2 small round blue sapphires on each side! I am just saying, lol..

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, do not risk anything valuable with snaptite or whatever settings.

The ones I bought for making interchangeable studs for diamond earring jackets are made of silver, and easily bent with pliers.

They do not feel very secure.

Hence I would not recommend them for anything valuable.

Definitely not for rings!

DK :))

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, Thanks for the pictures. You aquamarine looks very pretty. :)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
[QUOTE and we have found I am allergic to anything but platinum so no settings like those anymore for me.
You may be allergic to the nickel which is often included in American-made jewellery. It is banned from anything which makes contact with the skin in the EU. It may be worth your trying out some EU findings

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
[QUOTE and we have found I am allergic to anything but platinum so no settings like those anymore for me.
You may be allergic to the nickel which is often included in American-made jewellery. It is banned from anything which makes contact with the skin in the EU. It may be worth your trying out some EU findings

Unsure. I tried argentium silver out just a little bit ago and got a super bad rash from it the same rash as sterling. I had understood it to be nickel free? But if I am wrong I am happy to be corrected :) I've just noticed i absolutely do not get that rash when I wear my platinum so we just avoid it.

@MeowMeow, Thanks for the pictures. You aquamarine looks very pretty. :)

Thank you :) hopefully they were enough to help a bit.

:praise: I can see why, it is very nice and just think of all the endless possibilities you have to do a reset with it!:mrgreen2: That would be gorgeous with 2 small round blue sapphires on each side! I am just saying, lol..

Haha my plan for it is actually a carved solitaire ring in platinum eventually. My husband is the fancy one between us. That sounds like something he would love :D

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Your idea for a carved Solitaire in Platinum sounds beautiful! You will have to come back and show it to us here when you get it done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results