shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about a time when you quit something, and it was the right decision

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
So often we are conditioned to NEVER quit! Stay til the bitter end, don’t be a quitter, finish everything you start.

What is an example from your own life of positive QUITTING?

Myself- I quit reading books that don’t hook me. No need to read to the end! Freedom :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to books. I give them a chapter at most to hook me.

Same with movies and TV shows.

Star gazer

Brilliant_Rock
Many many years back (I was in my mid teens) I quit a job with a toxic boss. I was a chiropractor's assistant, that was my job title. But she was getting my friend and I to clean the toilets and even started asking us to do the gardening in the yard :lol: (It was a house that was turned into the chiropractor's business.) And she was the chiropractor's wife/office manager. One time after crying at home, I went to her and firmly said "I can't be someone's maid or gardener, sorry!!" And stormed out without looking back

Star gazer

Brilliant_Rock
This was after being trained on working on the patients and prepping them for the doctor. Cleaning and gardening were not in job description.. it felt so good to walk away

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marriage x 1.
Jobs a few times and I am terminating one of my contracts as I am not enjoying it.
Other Relationships x 3.
Helping out charitable organisations x 2 and I helped out other organisations instead.
Changed from camping in a tent to a RV due to declining strength and health.

I am not keen on changes, however I am less keen on hanging on to something that is no longer enjoyable or fit for purpose.

Being able to adapt and have the courage to get out of a rut are key to me personally.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Admitted I had an issue with my finances and sought professional help a few years ago.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
My job in summer of 2017. I was experiencing severe burnout that I wasn't fully aware of until after the fact. I couldn't bear to even think about my profession for half a year. Rebooted it in early 2018, only this time solo instead of working for someone else. Some good partnerships and unconditional family support made it all possible, because it was pretty challenging at the start. 5 years down the line it was worth it - I'm in a much better place now.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quit being a narcissistic supply for my SIL, one of the best decisions I ever made.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally decided the car had to go, after she had done over 205k+ miles, and I had pumped in £££ to keep her on the road, way beyond what she was worth, for the reason that she had great sentimental value.

The amount I had spent on keeping her going over the years could have bought me a brand new car with a higher specification!

We had some great times together, and through her, I met my late partner etc. etc... I had her from new in 2002.

The last straw was the ECU malfunction requiring a replacement that would cost a couple of thousands of GBP, and the catalytic convertor blew shortly after the fault on the ECU came to light.

Together, the cost of repair would be about 3k+ GBP, and she was worth next to nothing.

When the catalytic convertor blew, it was as if she was telling me she had had enough and it was time to let her go to car heaven.

I scraped her and received 100 GBP in return in 2017, and had a good cry when she was loaded onto a transporter to be taken away to be scraped.

I had wanted to keep parts of her, like the front part of the car, as a BBQ etc.. However, it would be too costly and too difficult to do so at the time.

I know she is just a machine and did not have feelings or a soul; however, I felt we had some kind of connection. She was one of the few constants in my life for 15 years.

I still think about that car from time to time, and have loads of photos of her in better days to cheer me up when I am low.

DK :cry2:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quit a toxic job and took a job in another state and it was the best decision I’ve ever made professionally.
I quit trying to make my in laws (SIL and parents) like me. Best decision I ever made family wise.
I quit being a negative person. Now I always look at the brighter side of everything. I complain a lot less now. I think I used to complain about things and people a lot. I didn’t realize it.
I quit being a perfectionist. Now the house can be messy. The laundry can pile up. It’s okay. I think my cats helped me with that one.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My relationship in New Zealand when I was in my late 20’s. Toxic & controlling AF. I didn’t realise how much until I grew the balls to walk away. Which I did in secret when he was away on business, because I was terrified that he would talk me down & make it all my fault. As usual. Sold my car to the first offer, packed my cases & my sister’s best friends’ husband here in the UK (who looked after cargo in Manchester) took care of it for me. I drank his precious & valuable wine collection with friends & hopped on a plane absolutely hanging the next day. Freedom.

Quitting my career to stay at home with my first born. It was a risky gamble & a huge financial sacrifice, but it was the best thing I have ever done. I wouldn’t trade being with my girls for all the tea in China. And Ally T LOVES her tea!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I quit a job I needed in one week. I put myself thru school also supporting a son. I had 6 credits left, so I decided to get a full-time job and finish the 6 credits at night.
I used to work for dentists and this new job had two male dentists who I would work for along with the daughter-in law of one of them.
Dentist #1 called me into his office to explain to me that he had a girl friend that his wife knew nothing about He gave me instructions of what to say to his wife, always protecting him. He was actually rather nice. But---

Dentist #2--His daughter in law was nice, but during the first week she informed me that her father-in-law and she stayed over on a Wednesday evening because he had early appointments. She continued by informing me that she and her father-in -law were having an affair and stayed together on said Wednesday evening. I think I almost vomited. His sons wife.

I went home and thought it was all so bizzare. What a den of iniquity that was.

I never went back. I called Monday morning to say I quit. and dentist #1 asked me if dentist #2 had made any advances to me. I said no. I just decided to finish up my degree.

I'm not a prude but I was disgusted at the thought of my new job.

Annette

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a bachelor flat in central London, very convenient and in a good location just 5min's walk from the British Museum, about 10min from mainline train stations including the new Eurostar terminal, and just around the corner from an underground/tube station.

It was a tiny studio flat, and the rooms in a hotel across the road was bigger than the flat.

I fell in love with that particular block of flats after visiting one of its flats when I was studying at college just around the corner.

I held on to the flat through the years when I was living and working 5h's drive away.

When I decided to leave my then husband, I got to keep my flat and my car, and he kept the house, all very amicable.

I applied for a government post that I coveted for years and worked hard to gain the required knowledge and experience required for that post.

When I was turned down for that post, citing my work profile and temperament etc. would not suit, it would be like trying to fit a round pole into a square hole according to the feedback from the work-related psychologist based on the psychometric test that I completed.

I was devasted as it was my dream job to work for this government agency based in London.

Shortly after that, I decided there was no point hanging on to the flat and staying in London, as there was not much job opportunities for the type of work that I would like to do.

So I decided to sell up and move out of London.

With the profile I made from selling the tiny studio flat, I was able to get a 2-bedroom semi-detached house with a garden where I am living now, along with pets (a cat and a dog) that I would otherwise not being able to have.

It was one of the best decisions I had ever made.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ex-communicating with my sister in 2002 after an argument.

I don't have to like her just because we are blood related.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
+1 to books. I give them a chapter at most to hook me.

Same with movies and TV shows.

sorry this made me laugh
first book i ever gave up on was hunt for Red October
i tried and tried and tried
Tom Clancy was no Wilbur Smith for me

but im glad i did not give up on Shitts Creek, getting through the first half season was well worth it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally decided the car had to go, after she had done over 205k+ miles, and I had pumped in £££ to keep her on the road, way beyond what she was worth, for the reason that she had great sentimental value.

The amount I had spent on keeping her going over the years could have bought me a brand new car with a higher specification!

We had some great times together, and through her, I met my late partner etc. etc... I had her from new in 2002.

The last straw was the ECU malfunction requiring a replacement that would cost a couple of thousands of GBP, and the catalytic convertor blew shortly after the fault on the ECU came to light.

Together, the cost of repair would be about 3k+ GBP, and she was worth next to nothing.

When the catalytic convertor blew, it was as if she was telling me she had had enough and it was time to let her go to car heaven.

I scraped her and received 100 GBP in return in 2017, and had a good cry when she was loaded onto a transporter to be taken away to be scraped.

I had wanted to keep parts of her, like the front part of the car, as a BBQ etc.. However, it would be too costly and too difficult to do so at the time.

I know she is just a machine and did not have feelings or a soul; however, I felt we had some kind of connection. She was one of the few constants in my life for 15 years.

I still think about that car from time to time, and have loads of photos of her in better days to cheer me up when I am low.

DK :cry2:

i am astrained from my only sibling
but its this story that makes me most sad
i really get car attachment

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, I've quit lots of things through the years that were positive changes overall but still caused me some level of distress to give up. Love interests, family and friend connections, jobs, living locations, addictive substances and even various foods.

I feel like being able to make those hard "executive" decisions is critical to keeping your life on a reasonably good track.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly jobs and relationships (romantic, friends, family). I decided at a fairly early age not to give more than received and that toxic or needy people can make life miserable.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm stubborn, so I originally opened this thread out of curiosity and thought I would not have anything to say.

But, I realized I've mostly quit worrying what other people think about me. With this change Ive become much less of a perfectionist. Actually interestingly I don't think it had much impact on how well I do things, just I do them more off the cuff.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have applied to be a member of Dignitas while I am still in relatively good physical and mental health, as I do not have a crystal ball to be able to see into what the future may hold for me.

I know what I shall do when the time comes.

It is a personal choice.

Just tell me how much longer I shall have on this earth, so that I could tidy up my affairs, say goodbye to those who are nearest and dearest to me, and to provide me with pain relief so that I am not in pain.

That's all I ask.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was working in my chosen career I was in a very posh private practice on the UES of Manhattan. It was very luxurious with high maintenance patients. But I love the challenge of high maintenance patients so always thrived in that kind of environment. I was there for a few years and then found out the owners were less than ethical and well it didn't sit right with me. I was young and idealistic and while I am no longer young (lol) I am still 100% the way I was then in that if you are unethical I want no part of you. S

I quit (gave them sufficient notice) and moved on. It was not an easy decision in one way because I loved the staff and patients. But it was a no brainer in many other ways because I would not stay at a practice where the head providers were less than upstanding and ethical and practiced in the best interests of their patients.

Anyone who knows me knows I am as far away from a quitter as someone can be. I mean I am stubborn and stick with things til I make them work. But you cannot change people. You can only change/control your own actions. So that is exactly what I did. I left the practice. To the shock of the owners and they were not pleased as everyone there loved me including their lucrative patients. Bye bye. I had patients follow me after they found out where i was going.

One other circumstance where I "quit" was when two of my "friends" who I thought were my friends turned out to just be toxic individuals. We were together in a group of friends. I was a bit more naive then and gave them quite a few chances beyond what I should have. I learned from that time when people decide to show you who they really are please listen and believe it. I didn't want to believe it so it took a bit longer than it should have. Toxic people are people I do not want to be around in any shape or form. Period. Best decision I made was to leave those two friendships and never look back. Bye bye

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy can't agree more re: toxic people and relationship.

I would rather be on my own than being with people who suck the life out of me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy can't agree more re: toxic people and relationship.

I would rather be on my own than being with people who suck the life out of me.

100%!
I was never a people pleaser per se but as I get older I care not at all what others think of me. I only care what I think of me (and what my DH thinks too but he is the best person I know). And it makes things so much easier. Live our lives the way we see fit and be the good person you want to be. And if there are people who don't like it they can su*K it lol

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like so many of us, I quit a job that was making me unhappy. My supervisor enjoyed making others miserable and the pay/hours were less than desirable.

Also, I had to let a friend go.
She was a lovely and sweet person, but she was going down the wrong path. She started doing drugs, and I just didn't want to deal with that. There was no way to help her, as she came from that type of environment, and she was just sliding right back into it.
It was painful for me to 'quit' her, but I had to do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I forgot to add this. If I hadn't quit that job on the UES I never would have met Greg.
A story for another day :)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While most people here know that I cut Opals - a lesser known fact is that I am also a Surveyor. I did my training with a company back in 2016 and I would cop all sorts of grief and abuse from the manager, I was too afraid to leave as I felt I wouldn't be able to continue with my career due to my relative inexperience until my Surveying mentor told me to stop underselling myself.

I eventually couldn't handle the abuse any longer, quit the job and stayed out of the Surveying industry for nearly a year while focusing on Opals. Then I found steady and lucrative employment with another engineering consultancy firm, I stayed there for 5 years while earning more money than my previous manager. I've since stepped up again in role, moving from residential to commercial and infrastructure work and now making twice what my previous manager is still making.

Sometimes it takes about absolute spanner of a human being to make you quit your job and go where the grass is greener :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results