carat
color
clarity

Teflon/non stick pans recommendation

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The 2 Teflon pans we use the most (one is a Calphalon Kitchen Essentials and one is an IKEA 365) are showing deep scratches and peeling and it's freaking me out. Yet every time I go to the stores I end up feeling really confused about which ones to get for a replacement.

Do you have any brands you recommend that the Teflon is high quality but are not overpriced? (e.g., paying just for the brand)

(I know that all Teflon will eventually wear out - so I know "high quality" is not about it lasting forever. And if I know I didn't overpay I can feel OK changing/replacing as soon as the Teflon starts showing wear and tear).

Thanks!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We like Calphalon for their quality and warranty. We have a full set of pots and pans and have taken advantage of their warranty twice. They sent a new pot and a new pan based on the issues we had.

Here's warranty information for you to check out. http://www.calphalon.com/Product-Support/Pages/Warranty-Information.aspx

In general, the pots and pans shouldn't be getting deep scratches or peeling if you are using utensils appropriate for non-stick cookware.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I like Calphalon, too. What are you using your non-stick for? I use mine for eggs and fried rice type dishes and only use silicone utensils on the surface. In a pinch I'll use wooden utensils, but I'm usually afraid of wearing down the surface. People also recommend well-seasoned cast iron instead of non-stick and you might want to try that. For me, cast iron isn't really non-stick and it's super heavy!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.

I'm sure I bought Calphalon based on doing research on it at the time...so maybe I should look at this brand again.

It dawned on me that it may be under warranty, but I can't find the receipt (I'm thinking I bought it at Target since that seems to be the place where the Home Essentials line is sold. I looked through my BBB receipts, too, in case).

We definitely have used only silicone non scratch utensils - but it's possible DH has used very high heat a couple of times even though I told him he shouldn't and he tells me he hasn't :roll:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bunny, sorry I didn't answer your question!

We make omelettes every day.

In the IKEA pan, which is larger, I make turkey burgers about once a week.

I agree with you on the cast iron!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't use teflon because IDK who's name is behind it, its dangerous and ALWAYS peels up.

if you like Calphalon, look at the Simply Calphalon ceramic line.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian - that is always on the back of my mind...

The thing is, I had gone to Marshalls or one of those stores and brought home what appeared to be a high-quality ceramic pan. I even did research on it when I got home to make sure I had bought a good one.

It was great at first, and we used it properly, but lost its nonstick properties a few months in. And when I look at reviews on BBB on the Calphalon ceramic nonstick I see several people say the same thing.

I would love to get ceramic but that's why I am looking at Teflon again.

And I just have to drive into DH not to use high heat. I'll have to scare him into it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an all-cast-iron (CI) user (enameled and bare/seasoned) ... skillets, griddles, Dutch ovens, bread/loaf pans, etc. Once a bare skillet is properly seasoned, it is non stick if you learn how to cook with it properly (e.g., always have your skillet hot before adding ingredients, don't try to flip things before they're ready, etc). Same principles for enameled, but minus the seasoning. CI lasts forever if properly cared for, it's much healthier (less risky) and meals always taste better. My DD loves for me to make her eggs ... but only in the CI. :lickout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't Teflon being banned for health risk reasons?

I use cast iron.
TOTALLY non-stick if you take care of it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1454001225|3983061 said:

The thing is, I had gone to Marshalls or one of those stores and brought home what appeared to be a high-quality ceramic pan. I even did research on it when I got home to make sure I had bought a good one.

It was great at first, and we used it properly, but lost its nonstick properties a few months in. And when I look at reviews on BBB on the Calphalon ceramic nonstick I see several people say the same thing.

And I just have to drive into DH not to use high heat. I'll have to scare him into it.

True the cheapies don't hold up well. Calphalon seems to, I have SC only for my oatmeal pan. 4 months in and its holding up very well, no flaking or chipping. I've even burned oatmeal in it a few times. :oops: IMO these types of pans aren't forever pans (but not much is these days!)

Now that said, I don't put it in the dishwasher. No forks, knives,or other pointy things in the pan either, and I think that helps to make them last longer. Also no high heat.

I only have one pan though, the rest of the time I use Calphalon hard anodized (its not nonstick). My other Calphalon pans were really expensive, putting those in the dishwasher would void the warranty so they soak overnight and are cleaned by hand only. Only time I cook on high heat is when i'm searing stuff, but I do it in these pans only.

LeCrueset has porcelain over cast. Its not entirely nonstick but its very easy to clean and the coating doesn't come off unless you beat the crap out of it.

Also cast iron, when properly seasoned is nonstick. I have a few pans from my grandmother...these pans are older than my mother whos in her 60's.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK CJ, take what I say with a grain of salt as I don't cook but my dh does and he has just gone through a similar search. He doesn't love cast iron and we don't use anything potentially dangerous so that leaves out a lot of non stick options.

What he found during his search (long search buying and trying out pans till he found the right one) is that his favorite easy to clean and safe pans were Le Creuset. Yes they are pricey but you can get them for 30% off and sometimes 40% off at the Le Creuset outlet. He loved the skillet so much he bought 2. You can make eggs in the skillet and you can turn the heat up high if you want and it won't stick and it's safe.

The shallow non stick skillet. 12 inches. He absolutely LOVES it. I think it cost about $80 from the outlet. Worth every penny according to my dh and he really uses it all the time.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1454009340|3983109 said:
Isn't Teflon being banned for health risk reasons?

I use cast iron.
TOTALLY non-stick if you take care of it.

I'm with Kenny on this one.
I was very concerned about consuming all that coating over the years, so
I threw out my teflon pan about 5 years ago, and now use a 12"cast iron skillet.
It is 50+ years old, (found it at a flea market for $4) and I use it every day, so it is very well seasoned and non-stick.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1454015683|3983153 said:
CJ2008|1454001225|3983061 said:

True the cheapies don't hold up well. Calphalon seems to, I have SC only for my oatmeal pan. 4 months in and its holding up very well, no flaking or chipping. I've even burned oatmeal in it a few times. :oops: IMO these types of pans aren't forever pans (but not much is these days!)

Now that said, I don't put it in the dishwasher. No forks, knives,or other pointy things in the pan either, and I think that helps to make them last longer. Also no high heat.

I only have one pan though, the rest of the time I use Calphalon hard anodized (its not nonstick). My other Calphalon pans were really expensive, putting those in the dishwasher would void the warranty so they soak overnight and are cleaned by hand only. Only time I cook on high heat is when i'm searing stuff, but I do it in these pans only.

LeCrueset has porcelain over cast. Its not entirely nonstick but its very easy to clean and the coating doesn't come off unless you beat the crap out of it.

Also cast iron, when properly seasoned is nonstick. I have a few pans from my grandmother...these pans are older than my mother whos in her 60's.

I will add another good word for ceramic. We currently have two, one by Orgreenic - a super-cheapie I got at Bed Bath and Beyond just to one out, and the other is a Calphalon straight-sided 3 1/2 quart saute I've purchased more recently. The are both wonderful. The Orgreenic is my ONLY scrambled egg pan, and the other browns nicely and makes a mean grilled cheese. Husband has burned some stuff in the Calphalon, and the burned bits practically rinse out with simple hot water. And of course, they both do all the usual sauteing and whatnot. Like Arcadian I don't use sharp pointy things in them, but so far, they've been really durable and are holding up quite well.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used cheap (as in Teflon coated) and expensive (non-Teflon) frying pans. Although the more expensive ones lasted longer, eventually they failed, as in the coating came off etc., and for the price for one of these, I could have bought 5 of the cheapo ones and they would last longer than one expensive pan!

My most recent purchase was a ceramic coated one, cost about twice as much as a cheapo Teflon one, and it works well so far, and would recommend ceramic.

Avoid light-colour coating though as carbon deposits show up more (learnt my lesson the hard way).

DK :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much.

I will take a good second look at high-quality ceramic coatings, including LeCrouset.

I just know cast iron won't work for us. Even I had a bit of an open mind to it, I know DH would hate it, I just know it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love my ceramic pans. I use all the time and they are so much better than teflon. I worried about feeding food cooked on my teflon to my kids.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results