color
clarity

Teen High School Common Core Math RANT

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1446676939|3945793 said:
tyty333|1446654565|3945613 said:
I've tried apps but most of the ones that I've seen are meant for younger kids (not a 5th grader). I downloaded 2 and my DD played
them both and pronounced them boring. :roll:

I understand CC and why they are doing it. CC ways are ways that many of us have figured out over many years. I get that. The problem is...instead of learning one way really well, they have to learn 3 to 4 different ways to do the same thing and dont get
enough practice at any of them
to be able to do it well. The time the teachers have to teach 1 skill has not changed. But now
they have to learn 3 different ways to do that 1 thing. Time is the issue here. I think they have made a big mistake in
their implementation of CC and our children will be suffering for many years due to it.
Yes, learning multiplication tables is boring. Sigh.

I have to agree, they are blazing through these concepts at lightening speed. I have wondered if they will be repeating these concepts again and again throughout the years. I bet my thoughts are naive.

It would be helpful to see them again the next year but I'm just not sure if there is time. :blackeye:

Edit - and the multiplication tables...we had to memorize them so there is no reason why my DD cant. Its just now its all on my
back instead of the schools. My DD already gets a pretty good load of homework so I find it hard to keep piling it on. Actually,
she kind of knows her tables its just that it takes her a little to long to come up with the number. When we had to do them we
basically had to have them on the tip of our tongue so I just need to keep working with her until she gets faster at them.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before this thread goes off the front page, I thought I'd post this for you youngsters who are all freaked out at CC.

Especially in math, pedagogical "reform" resulting in the improved method du jour, has been a time-honored tradition in American education, CC is just the latest incarnation.

So for those of you unfamiliar with Tom Lehrer, here is something that could have been written yesterday, fresh from 1965!

Enjoy!

New Math
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ksinger, thank you for sharing that youtube! Your post really puts the CC pushback in perspective.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although don't I think the CC is going away, just in my 13 years or so teaching career alone, I've worked with 4 different versions of standards to teach. The pendulum is always swinging one way or another. Whatever happens, there needs to be more training for parents so they truly understand why their kids are being pushed further than they have been in the past. If kids really get a concept and can explain it, great. If not, I do think that can become a problem if the content isn't being internalized.

An aside, I don't mind the CC, but I teach early childhood education, kindergarten, and I don't have the huge depth that middle school and high school teachers have to get through in a years time. I do see the value in consistency among states when it comes to what kids in each grade level should know, but I recognize there are flaws.

What I strongly disagree with is tying teacher evaluations to student performance, especially on standardized tests. That was never supposed to happen but the fad caught on. I could talk about this all day long but those are my ramblings for now.

Sorry, OP, I've sort of gotten off topic from your original post. I'm sorry your daughter is struggling, and I can empathize with you.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1446819397|3946292 said:
Before this thread goes off the front page, I thought I'd post this for you youngsters who are all freaked out at CC.

Especially in math, pedagogical "reform" resulting in the improved method du jour, has been a time-honored tradition in American education, CC is just the latest incarnation.

So for those of you unfamiliar with Tom Lehrer, here is something that could have been written yesterday, fresh from 1965!

Enjoy!

New Math
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

Ksinger, thank you for posting this. I so clearly remember my mom saying: I'm sorry, I can't help you with this, I don't understand New Math.

I also learned to read with something called ITA, or Initial Teaching Alphabet, which used a phonetic form of the English alphabet. Talk about crazy! And yet, we all learned to read and write in standard English in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_Teaching_Alphabet

I'm sorry if that link doesn't work. It's really different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results