shape
carat
color
clarity

Technical question about 3 stone rings

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked this question in another thread but felt it deserved its own since I can’t find much about it. I’ve been browsing at 3 stone rings and have noticed that the center stone, especially if it’s a mrb always appears darker than the smaller sidestones, even when colors are the same. First, I don’t know if that’s what I’m seeing or if darker is the proper term to describe. I would post pics but I don’t want to post any Peet’s without permission. So if you have a 3 stone, what are your thoughts? Do you notice this? Does it bother you? Hubby says it’s due to the fact that smaller stones are tilted and not set straight across.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think smaller stones = smaller facets = perceiving ‘lighter’.
And agree with tilt, too.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think smaller stones = smaller facets = perceiving ‘lighter’.
And agree with tilt, too.

If that’s the case, why select matching stones in terms of color?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I also think it’s some of the pictures are taking advantage of the arrows reflecting black in the centerstone, to accentuate that look. which is not a look that’s apparent most often in real life?
Maybe?

I don’t have a three stone modern - so I’m just guessing.

And I think I have read here some have chosen lower color sidestones for the same reason that larger stones show their color more.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
tilt is the answer, the darkness is generally obstruction from the dark camera. The effect is greater parallel to the table. It is also much greater than when looking at it just by eye,.
One designs where the tables are pointed the same way if they are similar cuts they will have a similar percentage reacting to obstruction.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @nala -

I agree with @Rfisher. But when you get to the colorless grade, colorless is colorless. At that point any difference is more about smaller facets and more concentrated light return. Larger stones show their tint more, but in stones with no tint, you'll still get a sense of the side stones being brighter - not less tinted, just brighter.

BTW - my three stone has an F center and I originally had G colored sides for the very reason mentioned above re more concentrated tint. Mistake. I went back to F's for the sides.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If that’s the case, why select matching stones in terms of color?

color and darkness from obstruction are 2 different things.
A larger diamond of the same material grade will show more color because the light travels more inside the diamond.
Where ratio wise(5%,10%,15% dark etc.) similar cut diamonds will show the same obstruction %.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for clarifying! Makes sense now!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
When I first got my three stone I thought one of the side stones was mismatched because it looked dark. But then I flipped the ring around and the same thing happened on the same side of my finger. So figure it is the effect of the angle of the light. A little disconcerting at first though.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first got my three stone I thought one of the side stones was mismatched because it looked dark. But then I flipped the ring around and the same thing happened on the same side of my finger. So figure it is the effect of the angle of the light. A little disconcerting at first though.
Does it bother you?

ellekay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for asking this! I've wondered the same thing. I've also wondered if the side stones show as much sparkle as the main stone since they seem to be slightly tilted in relation to the center.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking this! I've wondered the same thing. I've also wondered if the side stones show as much sparkle as the main stone since they seem to be slightly tilted in relation to the center.

I hope 3 stone owners chime in! Bc I want to know that, too!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope 3 stone owners chime in! Bc I want to know that, too!

I look forward to folding laundry in my bedroom mirror, just so I can stare at my CBI three-stone! :lol: I get to see aaaalllll the angles that way! Sparkle sparkle, flash, flash—it’s awesome!

I do see that the side stones are sometimes brighter than my center stone. As much as I love PS, and I love top quality, I’m not as detail-oriented as some. But I did notice the color contrast right away, and the need to flip the ring for the orientation mirage as a previous poster mentioned. That was more of an angle/size dimension “thing.”

My CBIs are all E color. I notice/noticed these things, but my ring remains perfect and it was more of a “diamond education” for me. Love PS for these threads!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also want to mention that I see this color difference in my E CBIs without a camera as obstruction. Now, whether it’s my head or something else obstructing—I haven’t analyzed. But I have definitely noticed it without a camera shoot! I feel like I’m a “color sensitive” person that sees differences, but I have a higher tolerance. (For E diamonds, lol).

What does one enjoy? What does one tolerate?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also want to mention that I see this color difference in my E CBIs without a camera as obstruction. Now, whether it’s my head or something else obstructing—I haven’t analyzed. But I have definitely noticed it without a camera shoot! I feel like I’m a “color sensitive” person that sees differences, but I have a higher tolerance. (For E diamonds, lol).

What does one enjoy? What does one tolerate?

Thanks for your incredibly honest replies! Your ring is so gorgeous!!! And I believe you about color sensitivity. I have an E as well and since I got it, most of my diamond bands and other rings which I considered preciously colorless—are no longer, lol. I’m glad this color contrast doesn’t get in the way of your enjoyment!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ignore the white area that DC adds to the face up image.
face up:
faceup1.jpg
10 degree
10degrees1.jpg
15 degree
15degree1.jpg
Notice the difference in where the color is most noticeable.

ellekay

Rough_Rock
Face up
faceup.jpg
10 degrees
10degrees.jpg
15 degrees
15degrees.jpg
Tilt is to your right as your looking at them.

Karl, a picture is truly worth a thousand words! Thanks for that visual. Now I'm curious as to whether some of my favorite three stones (like WF Butterflies) tilt the side stones or if they're all oriented in parallel planes...

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t imagine that the WF butterflies setting doesn’t use the ol’ “tip and tuck” that seems to be the magic ingredient for three-stones. I’ll be interested to read what owners have to say! I love how my three-stone works all the angles. I wouldn’t want them all to face up at the same angle.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the side stones need to tilt with the curve of the shank.

ellekay

Rough_Rock
Yeah, that 180 degrees of sparkle on three stones is awesome. I love learning more about all the little tricks that make them special.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tilt is the answer, the darkness is generally obstruction from the dark camera. The effect is greater parallel to the table. It is also much greater than when looking at it just by eye,.
One designs where the tables are pointed the same way if they are similar cuts they will have a similar percentage reacting to obstruction.

I agree with this, and makes sense.
@nala , Karl's explanation makes sense to me, which is why decided on having a center stone that is higher in color. When I look at it, set with lower colored stones on the left and right (like in my 3 stone) the color discrepancy is not noticeable. The angles of the stones on my three stone has a great impact on my perception of the colors. But what is important to me is that I know when they are separated, they all have to look sufficiently white to me. My F, not ideal cut, is a very icy stone, so I do know how white it looks to me. The G is close enough, and I seldom see the color difference. A lot of it is mind clean with regard to color as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results