shape
carat
color
clarity

Tech talk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I would like to suggest a forum for vendors and experts to argue to their hearts content about 60/60 diamonds v. ideal cut diamonds and leave RT to the prosumers and experts who have no agenda to pursue. These endless threads, IMO, are confusing to those people who are seeking information that is clear, quantifiable, and uses terms that the lay person can understand. I believe that the majority of PSers/experts/vendors who offer advice, take into consideration the needs of the person seeking to purchase a diamond. When this ceases to occur, we have a problem. Some of us have been accused of being against diversity. This could not be further from the truth. We welcome diversity that is presented with factual data and respect to the consumer. I would read this type of forum because I am interested in the technical aspects of diamond cutting and what will be happening in the industry. I just think it needs it own space.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Marian, I just thought I''d offer a counterpoint. I did see the idea come up in the recent thread about the impact of the internet on cut from David...but I don''t agree, I don''t think. Pricescope, I think, is about the non-ghetto-izing of experts away from the commonfolk. And further, you even see common folk infiltrate, or at least be willing to enter the fray among experts in specific threads like the one you mention.

In Rocky Talky, by design, each thread is just a very small piece of real estate. You have to decide to enter it in the first place to begin to read the text, and after having begun to read it...well...it will speak for itself.

I guess I just think people can pretty well look after themselves, including decide for themselves just how much ambiguity they wish to take on. And, for those of us who do support eduction in the wider sense, I think the so-called common folk are enriched for it.

Consistent with this, I am personally amazed and impressed at the level of knowledge newbies come into when they step in and show they have begun to read. They get quite the head start from where they might have been even several years ago.

Respectfully,

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 9:43:28 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Marian, I just thought I'd offer a counterpoint. I did see the idea come up in the recent thread about the impact of the internet on cut from David...but I don't agree, I don't think. Pricescope, I think, is about the non-ghetto-izing of experts away from the commonfolk. And further, you even see common folk infiltrate, or at least be willing to enter the fray among experts in specific threads like the one you mention.

In Rocky Talky, by design, each thread is just a very small piece of real estate. You have to decide to enter it in the first place to begin to read the text, and after having begun to read it...well...it will speak for itself.

I guess I just think people can pretty well look after themselves, including decide for themselves just how much ambiguity they wish to take on. And, for those of us who do support eduction in the wider sense, I think the so-called common folk are enriched for it.

Consistent with this, I am personally amazed and impressed at the level of knowledge newbies come into when they step in and show they have begun to read. They get quite the head start from where they might have been even several years ago.

Respectfully,
I see your point, Ira. I'm concerned that some of the "advice" that is given may be confusing and counterproductive for people who do not have a certain knowledge base when they come onto this forum. I don't mind jumping into the fray, because I want to inject something from a consumer's POV. Most vendors/experts play fair. Some do not. How do we manage bias that is presented as fact?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results