shape
carat
color
clarity

Teal pear-shaped sapphire for an e-ring!

MKLT

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I started looking at engagement rings recently, and we really love pear-shaped stones. I'm pretty set on a blue-green sapphire. This has been really difficult to find so far! I'm finding a lot of options that are a bit too small, or way too massive (I don't need a 3 carat stone on my size 5 finger!), or just not the color I had in mind.

I found two that look good to me, but I'd love others' opinions since I really don't know much about what to look for in terms of clarity, cut, etc. I like the pear stone on the bottom row, which is 2.06 carats, 8.7 x 6.7 x 4.7mm.

View attachment 726645

And here is a link to the other stone I'm considering: Teal stone

I have a size 5 finger and am also not sure what size would look the best - keep in mind I do want a halo setting. I want it to be sizeable but not super chunky.

I also have videos, but I'm not sure how to share those on here. The teal stone in the link appears a bit brighter in the video than it does in the photo on the website.

Thank you in advance for all of your guidance!

Attachments

• 80688600_744931829323687_6442194418488311808_n.jpg
    80688600_744931829323687_6442194418488311808_n.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 64

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
The pear in the link looks rather windowed. I'm not 100% certain since it might be at a slight angle and therefore a tilt window, but it seems pretty shallow and you'd see your finger through it (some people are fine with that in a stone but some are not). Did you say you have a video of that stone? Does it appear windowed in that?

As for the photo of a bunch of sapphires, that pear looks pretty. Do you have the opportunity to see these in person?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a window from here. And with pear shapes you'll have to think ahead of how to protect that tip from damage, or that tip from damaging others, Other than bezel or flush settings youll always end up with a sharp object in hand.

MKLT

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so much! I unfortunately can't see these pears in person, which does make me a bit hesitant. It's just been really hard to find any to see in person at any jewelers near me. I do like the look of the pear in the photo (with the bunch of sapphires) better - it seems to be a bit more sparkly. It's big though, and I wonder if it's going to be too much on a size 5 finger. Or just too chunky, especially with a halo. I feel like once they go past a certain size they start to look like costume jewelry or something. Maybe I should just go for it though and rock some bling!

Pricewise, that guy charges $700 per carat, so it would be about $1,400, and the pear in the link is more expensive, I think about $1300 for just over a carat. Thoughts on pricing?

Last edited:

MKLT

Rough_Rock
Oh, also, the one that might be windowed is 3.5mm deep, while the other one is 4.7mm deep if that helps.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.06 ct the best of the two options. The teal stone in the second link is listed as sleepy, so make sure you are okay with that quality before purchasing a sleepy stone for your e-ring. The stone will have a bit of a silky look, rather than having a clear crystal look. I think most Montana’s have silk to some degree..some stones will have more than others.
Here’s snapshot of a tool that shows the size of each of the stones on a size 5 hand to give you an idea of their sizes.
8FFDE364-5C4E-4CE1-9DF0-9DF22D2C32CB.jpeg

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so much! I unfortunately can't see these pears in person, which does make me a bit hesitant. It's just been really hard to find any to see in person at any jewelers near me. I do like the look of the pear in the photo (with the bunch of sapphires) better - it seems to be a bit more sparkly. It's big though, and I wonder if it's going to be too much on a size 5 finger. Or just too chunky, especially with a halo. I feel like once they go past a certain size they start to look like costume jewelry or something. Maybe I should just go for it though and rock some bling!

Pricewise, that guy charges $700 per carat, so it would be about $1,400, and the pear in the link is more expensive, I think about $1300 for just over a carat. Thoughts on pricing?

Ordering online is pretty common, especially on this board I think! :) Does the vendor have a decent return policy? Most let you view a stone for 7ish days or so for a full refund if you decide you don't want it, because the lighting in your home or work where you will wear it the most is probably not the same as what they used for their photographs and sapphires really shift depending on light. The best thing if possible is to work with a vendor with that policy and review some stones from the comfort of your own home to decide what you like best and what is a good size for your hand.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the size being too big and people thinking it's costume jewelry - I think that's more the case for diamonds than colored stones, since a huge diamond is out of most people's price ranges but a colored stone isn't assumed to be as expensive (though they certainly can be!)

Pricing - hard to say. Do you know the origin? Are they all Montanas? Then things like heat/no heat and cut quality make a difference in price too.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to post the same thing. Especially these color sapphires can change their look, gray out, shift color depending on whether it is photo or live, different lighting conditions. They are "tricky". So I would order stones that have a simple return policy and be prepared to look at more than 1 stone before you make a final decision and set. Probably not what you want to hear but that's what I would do. Also I would really caution restricting yourself to pear only stones. You are already looking at an unusual color, pears are not a usual sapphire cut, this is really going to restrict your options. There may be an oval or trillian stone that may be just what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results