shape
carat
color
clarity

Teaching English Overseas

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking specifically of South Korea, but any experience/second hand experience anyone can offer me by way of advice or stories would be greatly appreciated!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple friends who do/did this. Their FB statuses are always fun to read. But they are quite gregarious people who would do well anywhere.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My nephew spent a year in Tokyo teaching English. He loved it. Boarded with a Japanese family there & they are still friends. From SK you can travel all over Asia, Australia, NZ. Good place to go!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have a number of friends that have done this, in South Korea and Thailand.

They are all loving their experiences. One of my friends in South Korea has had some issues negotiating her salary and leave. She has also had a trouble from some of the other teachers and administration at her school. However, she recently switched to a new school, negotiated an awesome contract, and is really happy overall. I am not sure how you might gauge a school before going though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My niece spent two years in Spain as a teaching assistant teaching English and loved it. She had majored in Spanish and Italian in college and lived for a period of months in a Spanish speaking country during college before taking this plunge, though. My cousin's son taught for a year in China (and then returned to work there for a bank). I am not sure he taught English. I know he taught only young-middle school age-kids, but I think he may have taught them math. He had majored in Chinese and economics in college, so he had some familiarity with the language, however.

My point is that in the cases with which I am familiar the successful candidates knew the languages of the countries in which they were teaching before they went there. I am wondering if that familiarity was a factor in their success.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My godsister teaches in Singapore, and I have a few friends who have taught in SKorea and in Vietnam. I have only heard wonderful stories, and about how much they loved it. It's a great way to save up money, too, if you can find a school that will sponsor your flights + give you a place to live and a stipend for living expenses. Make sure your contract is thorough.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ladies! I guess for every spooky story (mostly pay problems, eek) I hear handfuls of positive ones!

JewelFreak - I am from NZ! :tongue: But I'd love to do Asia!
IndyLady - I like to hear stories of STRIFE that come right! Thank you for that.
AGBF - The language gap is quite daunting!

I would intend on securing that exact kind of contract, madelise. That is what the agency we have worked with in the past sets you up with. This entire idea is to save money in a fun way! :$$):

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My brother in law owns a couple of english schools in SKorea, so if you have any specific questions I can ask him for you! :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My younger brother leaves in a few months to teach in S.Korea. He is very excitied about it. He has spent most of his adult life abroad though. He was in New Zealand and then Asia the last few years. I know they are providing a general allowance and housing for him. We have heard great things from other friends who have done it. Teaching was pretty easy, the kids were great plus you really got to immerse yourself in the culture.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chewbacca|1357616310|3350018 said:
Thanks, ladies! I guess for every spooky story (mostly pay problems, eek) I hear handfuls of positive ones!

JewelFreak - I am from NZ! :tongue: But I'd love to do Asia!
IndyLady - I like to hear stories of STRIFE that come right! Thank you for that.
AGBF - The language gap is quite daunting!

I would intend on securing that exact kind of contract, madelise. That is what the agency we have worked with in the past sets you up with. This entire idea is to save money in a fun way! :$$):

I think that with the right structure in place to insure that you got housed and paid and the right personality, it could work. I couldn't do it in a country in which I had not studied the language at all, however. I remember how I used to feel in Italy before I studied Italian: as if I didn't have the right to open my mouth. I just do not have the personality to go into a country and interact without language!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friends brother went over to Vietnam (from the UK) 8 years ago to teach English. He is very confident & gregarious - it was the best thing he could have ever done & suited him down to the ground. He did meet friends out there who didn't stick the job for very long. They found the lifestyle & the long hours of teaching very hard. They generally expect a lot of you in some countries in return for your board & lodging. He on the other hand, went on to marry a beautiful Vietnamese lady & has now made it his home :))

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I have a cousin doing this in Thailand right now. She seems to be enjoying the experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results