shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanites! Tell me all about them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Ok this is what I know
The are quite soft. 6 on the MOH''s scale
They are tri colour type stone, look at in its dark blue, dark purple or dark pink
Only found in one part of the world, the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

What I would like to know! How much am I looking at scoring an amazing 1 - 1.5 ct stone? What are red flags to look for?
I think I want a cushion cut? What cut would you recommend?
and what sites are reputable in selling these - OR - where did you get yours??

Show me pics and spill your info!!
Thanks
Lass

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My current thoughts on tanzanite:

- Overpriced
- Over-rated
- Too soft to wear in rings
- Nearly all are heat-treated
- There is coated material on the market

I would 100 times rather buy a tanzanite coloured sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2008 7:00:41 AM
Author: Pandora II

- Overpriced
- Over-rated

Thanks for echoing my thoughts. I also thought ten years ago that the mine only had ten years left, and now they''re still saying the mine has ten years left.
face21.gif

However, if you are going to get one, I do hear the trilliant cut really is the best for the color, but I recommend a tanzanite colored sapphire instead, like PandoraII.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 7:00:41 AM
Author: Pandora II

- Overpriced

- Over-rated

Agreed!

Most Tanzanite comes out of the ground brown--must be heated to achieve a salable color.

The mining practices go beyond unethical. Robert Weldon came to speak to us at GIA about "fair trade in gemstones"--he reported that he did not observe changes in tanzanite mining touted by a certain group. In fact, he saw little change at all. Gem mining can be brutal, and Tanzanite mining epitomizes the concept.

Not my bag...

Violet sapphire on the other hand...
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s even sadder is that these gemstones are so overpriced per carat. The gem shopping networks are milking the uneducated consumer as much as they can out of money with the "mine is running dry and only one sorce locale" for years now. If I see another "super cobalt blue dark neon world class" tanzanite one more time, I''m going to be ill.
emotion-41.gif

Now, there are some very beautiful tanzanites, no doubt, but it''s so common, and I really do think they''re overpriced. Well, we could say the same thing about diamonds I suppose, but a diamond is much more durable and will last many generations if you take care of it. Drop a tanzanite in an ultrasonic cleaner, and it''s tanzanite gravel. Not a very durable stone at all. If you do get tanzanite, set it in earrings or a pendant, broach. I get so mad at all the tanzanite rings out there for sale. I have a tanzanite ring that I bought before anyone knew what tanzanite was. I rarely wore it, and it still has tons of microchips and pits when you loupe it.

I fail to understand why Tiffany & Co charges more for their legacy tanzanite ring than the sapphire. Now that irks me!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2008 1:09:46 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What's even sadder is that these gemstones are so overpriced per carat. The gem shopping networks are milking the uneducated consumer as much as they can out of money with the 'mine is running dry and only one sorce locale' for years now. If I see another 'super cobalt blue dark neon world class' tanzanite one more time, I'm going to be ill.
emotion-41.gif

Now, there are some very beautiful tanzanites, no doubt, but it's so common, and I really do think they're overpriced. Well, we could say the same thing about diamonds I suppose, but a diamond is much more durable and will last many generations if you take care of it. Drop a tanzanite in an ultrasonic cleaner, and it's tanzanite gravel. Not a very durable stone at all. If you do get tanzanite, set it in earrings or a pendant, broach. I get so mad at all the tanzanite rings out there for sale. I have a tanzanite ring that I bought before anyone knew what tanzanite was. I rarely wore it, and it still has tons of microchips and pits when you loupe it.

I fail to understand why Tiffany & Co charges more for their legacy tanzanite ring than the sapphire. Now that irks me!!
6.gif

They should not be in rings. My friend (I spy you
27.gif
) scratched hers on the table the first time she wore it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pity since the nicest examples are very beautiful colors. I saw one on gemshopping the other day that was 31 carats in a TDF diamond halo ring (not for the faint of heart) and it cost as much as a nice car. Wouldn't it be a pity to buy such a ring only to scratch and scuff it up. Tanzanites of that color and size should be reserved for museums or for very rarely worn pendants or broaches. It's one thing to scuff up your car (you can easily repair that), but if you get a good nick or chip in that tanzanite, you're out of a lot of money, and the stone cannot be repaired except for a recut. It was a drop dead gorgeous tanzanite, and even me, who is sick to death of tanzanite couldn't help but not stare at it. It was that deep indigo blue with the red flashes, and very very saturated in color.

Another stone I love that reminds me of tanzanite, but it's also soft and should be carefully worn, is benitoite. I have a .75 carater that sits in a box. However, it's about a billion times rarer than tanzanite.

Here's a nice one from paraibainternational in the coveted trillion cut around your size range. They take offers, and they are a highly reputable firm. Ask them about their existing stock as well (they don't post everything they have).

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=1616

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the colour of the ones with the red flashes. ParaibaI does list their entire inventory online, but they can call in additional ones.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your honest assessment! I really appreciate it! I am so glad I found this site!
Ok I now don''t want one! Thanks lol!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All true - but I have a couple of tanzanite rings and love them. I don''t wear them often but I haven''t had any problems with them either. It is a pretty stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I was being sooooo careful with my tanzanite. I didn''t see any chips or nicks in it after very little wearing. Took a loupe to it one day and the microchips were all over the place. Even wiping it with cloth can potentially scratch it. Some stones are soft, but not as fragile (a pearl is a good example of this). Tanzanite is both soft and fragile.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2008 9:22:46 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I thought I was being sooooo careful with my tanzanite. I didn''t see any chips or nicks in it after very little wearing. Took a loupe to it one day and the microchips were all over the place. Even wiping it with cloth can potentially scratch it. Some stones are soft, but not as fragile (a pearl is a good example of this). Tanzanite is both soft and fragile.
I''ll have to go check mine out now. Sorry to hear yours has tiny chips all over it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to loupe it to see the "microchips." They''re not visible with the naked eye. Over time, the facet edges get worn away as well. It''s just such a fragile stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results