shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanning Beds, Melanoma, and Unhelpful Doctors

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I love being really tan, and I love the sun. I am always in such a good mood after a nice day out in the sun, and I have anxiety/depression and issues with being tired all of the time, which is always better in the summertime.

Back in February, I got sick of being so pale, and I was also always feeling so blah. I started going to a tanning bed, and I have gotten a wonderful tan that I get tons of compliments on. I tan pretty well in the sun, but the tanning bed tan is even better. I have continued to go 2x a week in order to maintain my tan. It has also made my mood better.

Then, I started to worry about a new mole-like thing on the palm of my hand (I tend to worry a lot about diseases). I actually first noticed it towards the end of last summer (before these regular trips to the tanning salon, even though I had gone to a tanning bed several times about six years ago), even though I have no idea how long it was there before that. It is a dark spot, although it is totally flat.

I still have it, and it's starting to worry me a lot. I think that it might have grown a bit, but it certainly hasn't grown much. It isn't totally symmetrical (especially not in macro pictures), the borders are not regular (you can't really tell in real life, but you can when I take a macro picture), and it's mostly dark brown.

I went to a dermatologist about it, and I just felt ridiculed. He says that it's a nevus, although I asked about lentigo, and he said that it's possible (these are so general that it's not helping me, and it's obvious that he doesn't really know for sure). He couldn't believe that I was worried about such a small thing, and he said that all of the melanomas that he has seen have been about 6 mm. He said that there are some that are 4 mm, but that my lesion is only about 1 mm. I don't understand it though, because no one wakes up with a lesion that large - they have to start somewhere, especially if they are not developing from an existing mole.

He also was horrified when I told him that I had been going to the tanning bed. He told me that they are 15x worse than the sun, that I should only go to a tanning bed if I want to get cancer, etc. I have heard that people who go to tanning beds have an increased risk of skin cancer, but is it really that much higher? Also, when you go to a tanning bed, you stay for 15-20 minutes. To get the same type of tan out in the sun, it takes hours - so I would spend a lot more time in the sun. Is that taken into account?

I am a 25-year-old female, with no history of melanoma (or other skin cancers that I know of) in my family, and they all spend a ton of time outside. I don't have any moles that are more than 6 mm (or even close), and I only have five or so on my whole body. I tan easily, and rarely burn, although I do have blue eyes.

I am really confused about what my best option is, and I'm really upset with the way that this doctor acted. He has been working at a dermatology practice for 10 years now, but he originally was a family practitioner. He seemed more concerned with whether or not I smoke, wear my sea tbelt, and get yearly pap tests. He also asked if I am married, and when I told him that I am engaged, he was happy to hear that I will only have on sexual partner for the rest of my life. After he said that, I realized that I actually had an appointment with him a few years ago, and then he told me that I should reconsider having premarital sex because the guys are just taking advantage of me and also because he thought that it would be better to save that special gift for my husband.

As if that's not bad enough, I didn't even get to ask all of my questions, because he kept cutting me off when I tried to talk. Then, he got up and started walking toward the door, talking into his dictation device. I understand that he didn't have all day to talk to me, but then he shouldn't have kept asking about insignificant things. He even asked me what I do for a living, and where I work now. When I said that I'm unemployed, he was like "Why? Isn't the hospital near here hiring?". I don't see what that had to do with anything.

I know that my lesion is most likely benign (or at least I sincerely hope so), since it has been there for so long and grown so little, but I want real answers about my risks. I have tried self-tanner, but it always wears off unevenly, my feet always look ridiculous and streaky, and I don't get the other benefits (less depression, less tired, etc).

Thoughts?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1) Dude, get a new doctor. Yours sounds unprofessional in the EXTREME, and like he's a bit more interested in promoting his views on your personal life than on properly addressing your medical concerns.

2) Yes, tanning is actually that bad for you. If you have SAD, they sell special SAD lightboxes that give you the benefits of natural light without the cancer risks. If, in addition to that, you want the look of a tan - self-tanner, baby!

http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/

3) I am a complete dermatological hypochondriac. I'm pale, there's a history of melanoma, it's a thing. That said, what you're describing doesn't sound like it should be a cause for concern ... but for peace of mind, I'd probably still see a good dermatologist. Pehaps s/he could also recommend a better GP ...

ETA: D'oh, reread and saw that your original guy WAS a derm, which just makes it all that much weirder ... yeah, I vote second opinion.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure exactly what your questions is, but my two cents:

1- Yes, this doctor sorely lacked in the bedside manners department
2- Tanning salons do, indeed, put you at a significant risk for cancer

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, tanning is awful for you.

I tan in a tanning bed though. I burn to a crisp outdoors. I'm allergic to sunblock. I figure having a bit of a base tan in a tanning bed is better for my skin than getting burnt 2x a week all summer. I do notice my mood is better after being in the tanning bed so I understand how that could help with SAD or other mood disorders.

I embraced my pasty self for many years until I had kids. They want to be outside and I feel like I'm a bad mom if I can't take them out to play. So, tanning has worked for me. I'm able to be outside with my family without frying myself.

My advice is this, get a new derm. Get your spot checked out and then keep an eye on it. Try to back off the bed. I'm able to maintain just going once a week.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
- Get a new dermatologist. That guy seems like a creep! Sorry you had such a bad experience.
-Tanning is really that awful for you. If you are fearful of cancer, a tanning bed is NOT the place for you! Not only can it give you cancer, it really affects your overall skin health. You will be more prone to wrinkles as you get older.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1306440544|2931062 said:
- Get a new dermatologist. That guy seems like a creep! Sorry you had such a bad experience.
-Tanning is really that awful for you. If you are fearful of cancer, a tanning bed is NOT the place for you! Not only can it give you cancer, it really affects your overall skin health. You will be more prone to wrinkles as you get older.

Ditto OUpear and everyone else. Tanning beds are seriously awful for your skin and will absolutely increase your risk for skin cancer. Keep going if you want to but don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

That doctor sounds disgusting. If you can report him to someone about the inappropriate sexual comments, I would. Your sexual history is NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. If he was a gyno I'd maaaaybe give him a pass.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
1) Get a new doctor.

2) Either fake tan or give up tanning. It is extremely bad for you.

Just to give a personal view on it...

In 2006 my BIL noticed a small mole on his 28 year-old girlfriend's shoulder about the size of the end of a pencil. He saw her 2 weeks later and commented that it had grown a bit and she ought to see a doctor. She got an appointment the next week and was diagnosed with malignant melanoma.

They operated resulting in a sizeable scar and then had a year of chemotherapy. She was given a 30% chance of surviving 5 years. They were married in 2007 a few months after she finished chemo. She has to have scans every 6 months and is not allowed to go in the sun or tan in any other way.

She and my BIL were very keen to have a family and she has had to wait 5 years before she could TTC as the hormonal changes associated with pregnancy can cause a reoccurence off the melanoma. She has been incredibly lucky to have survived and is now expecting their first child in 5 weeks time.

Watching a beautiful 28 year-old girl face the news that she might not survive the next year is horrific. Tanning just isn't worth the risk.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Dr. sounds odd/off to me.

As far as the tanning goes..all I've heard for years is there's no such thing as a safe tan. (hard, when there's yardwork and kids that want to play outside, to completely avoid the sun) What you do to your skin now will absolutely show in 20/30 years..whether that involves cancer or not is the luck of the draw. Not everyone who is in the sun gets cancer..not everyone who smokes gets cancer. It's hard to be teens/20's/30's and worry about what *might* happen years and years down the road but it's smart to think that far ahead when it comes to your health, I think. (she says while drinking a moo latte w/about 4000 calories and a years supply of sugar and fat) I like being tan. I like being melanoma free and being alive to be w/my kids a lot more. I quit tanning years ago b/c my gramma had several skin cancers taken off her and her brother lost his nose to skin cancer. I don't know if other members in the family having it means your more apt to get it or not, but I'd rather not take chances.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am one pale girl. I'd probably look thinner and maybe slightly more attractive with more of a tan, but I've had two friends under the age of 25 who have already had skin cancer.

I am serious about my sunscreen! You know what my #1 compliment is? "You have such beautiful skin."

princesss

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1306446808|2931168 said:
I am one pale girl. I'd probably look thinner and maybe slightly more attractive with more of a tan, but I've had two friends under the age of 25 who have already had skin cancer.

I am serious about my sunscreen! You know what my #1 compliment is? "You have such beautiful skin."

Ditto this (but substitute my dad getting skin cancer for "friends under...25").

I believe the reason tanning beds are so bad for you is the high concentration of UVA rays - they're the rays that go deep into your skin (not UVB rays that cause burning on the top layer). So they go deep into your skin and fry it, AND you get them in much higher doses than sunshine.

Basically, there is absolutely no such thing as a safe tan and even though I *love* the look, in 20 years I'll love looking less like a leather bag than my friends that tan religiously (though, thinking about it...most of my friends are pale and proud, haha).

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
If you're feeling depressed without sun, take vitamin D. In huge doses. I take 3000iu per day, and it has helped my mood immensely. But yes, tanning is terrible for you. Is that a serious question? :o

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider a tan to be a huge ugly scab and a precursor to cancer.
Few things are as unattractive to me as a person with a "nice" tan.

How being tan got in style is understandable, blame Coco Channel, but how it remains in style now that we have more information is as puzzling as why many people still smoke.

I guess some people think "looking cool or healthy" (at least to others who think that way too) is worth dying for.
People certainly vary.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny|1306440220|2931056 said:
Yes, tanning is awful for you.

I tan in a tanning bed though. I burn to a crisp outdoors. I'm allergic to sunblock. I figure having a bit of a base tan in a tanning bed is better for my skin than getting burnt 2x a week all summer. I do notice my mood is better after being in the tanning bed so I understand how that could help with SAD or other mood disorders.

I embraced my pasty self for many years until I had kids. They want to be outside and I feel like I'm a bad mom if I can't take them out to play. So, tanning has worked for me. I'm able to be outside with my family without frying myself.

My advice is this, get a new derm. Get your spot checked out and then keep an eye on it. Try to back off the bed. I'm able to maintain just going once a week.

Regarding being allergic to sunblock but still wanting to protect your skin, www.coolibar.com has SPF protection clothing and accessories.

Shihzulover, that dermatologist you went to not only has poor bedside manner, he is unprofessional. Get a second opinion.

You can get artificial sun lamps for light therapy to help with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Tanning, be it at a salon or outdoors, is terrible for your skin in terms of both health and long term appearance. Perhaps PSers can suggest a good self tanner.

Family history of skin cancer is not always indicative of whether you are more likely to get it, although it is a factor to consider. My sister got skin cancer while in her 20s and there was no family history of skin cancer.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
With all the information out there, telling you that skin cancer is on the rise, blaming tanning beds for the increase in cases, WHY IN HEAVEN'S NAME WOULD YOU USE A TANNING BED????? Denial, avoidance, and stubbornness won't protect you from skin cancer.

Stop. Today. Immediately. Don't ever go back.

Get a new doctor. Get a biopsy on your 'lesion'. Take this very seriously, and don't delay.

Read Pandora's response over and over and over again if you even think about disagreeing with our general viewpoint of "Stop tanning!"

BTW, I'm now in my fifties, but when I was in HS and through my 20s, tanning was even more IN than it is now. I was perpetually pale, and still am. The downside is that I'm at a higher risk for skin cancers, thanks to my fairness. The good news is that no one suspects that I'm anywhere close to my fifties. I have the skin of someone at least 20 years younger because I didn't make a habit of sunbathing. I wish you could see my face right next to my co-worker's face; she has spent her 54 years getting tan. She looks at least a decade older than the mere two years between us. What isn't wrinkled on her is crepey. Leathery. Is that the look you want in 25 years? Even if you don't have a skin cancer scare?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your doctor was rude, but medically, he is correct. A tan = skin damage. Think about it, if it takes you only 20 minute to get a tan in a bed, versus several HOURS outside, how much more intense is the radiation from the bed?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redhead here, checking in. Don't do it. I understand the attraction, I had ONE tan as a teen, and it was too darn much work, to be honest. Besides, as others have noted, you'll look like a handbag by 40. Period. Not to mention the cancer risk, which is very real.

When May comes to an end, I crawl under my rock until the end of September. This girl is a delikit hothouse flahr. ;))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your doc, though a rude bugger, is also right about tanning beds. Though I'm naturally dark, I still burn like nobody's business and wear sunscreen daily. I also don't look my age, another testament of not deliberately tanning. I've seen folk of my complexion who would tan for years on end, and they look totally busted by the time they're my age. If you're naturally pale and you tan in a tanning bed, yes you're doing a lot of damage to your skin.

My mothers nurse, whom is a lovely lady, is a blonde hair blue eyed for year old woman. She looks 20 years older than this and you could make a purse out of her skin, its so leathery. She's a lovely woman and all but wow..... :shock: She's MY age! I don't have nary a wrinkle and this woman looks like a Shar Pei.

And for those that can't stand the sun but use a tanning bed? seriously? :shock: I burned in 7 minutes in a tanning bed! That was NOT the business.

Ditto on getting a SAD light. I have one for my home office and one for when I travel. They do work wonders.

-A

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the wrinkles.

I have 'lovely' Scottish skin - blue with purple splotches in winter, white-blue in summer basically... the few times I have gone in the sun without my Factor 50+ I have gone lobster red. Those times were accidental rather than my wanting to get a tan. I have worn sunscreen all year round since I was 20, I turn 40 next year, have almost no wrinkles and most people put me at 7-10 years younger than my actual age.

In the end I decided that I had choices:
1) embrace being pale and interesting...
2) embrace fake tan

If nothing else, I am always super-popular in summer - I'm so pale that everyone wants to sit next to me as they look so much more tan...

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1306440220|2931056 said:
I'm allergic to sunblock. I figure having a bit of a base tan in a tanning bed is better for my skin than getting burnt 2x a week all summer.

Have you tried physical sunscreens (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide based)? I have a terrible reaction to chemical sunscreens -- actually it's a reaction to the chemical reaction between the skin, sunblock and sun, which forms the protective layer -- and it took me awhile to find a sunblock I could use. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin is what I use but I've seen several other physical sunblocks come out in the past couple years. They are more expensive, but worth it. And they rub in nicely, so it's not like the zinc oxide sunblocks from the 80s with the terrible colors that went on in a stripe.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have pale skin and blue eyes, trust me, in 20 years you will be glad you look younger than your friends for not having gone tanning. My daughter had a very small spot on her thigh at age 19 removed that was precancerous. She only went out in the summer in the mornings for swim team practice. She never sun bathed. If the dr hadn't seen this small spot on a routine exam she might be dead now. Get another opinion. And stay away from the tanning beds. Pale is beautiful too!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has already said the important stuff about your doctor and tanning beds.

My only comment is that I am sorely disappointed that people compliment someone's tan. Any tan is skin damage and the body's natural response to too much ultra violet exposure. So if you must continue the tanning, get an aggressive dermatologist who will biopsy anything suspicious and not dismiss your concerns.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for the advice!

This doctor was actually the second opinion that I sought. I go to a dermatology nurse practitioner within the same practice for my acne treatment. I showed it her during my last appointment, but she also thought that it wasn't anything to be worried about. I was still worried, so I went to him for a physician's opinion. Both of them looked at it through those goggles that they wear, and neither seem concerned. They both said that it probably will never cause a problem for me, but that I should watch it (along with any other moles that I have, or that I develop in the future). I'm not sure whether or not I should try a whole other practice, or just believe them.

In any case, I definitely don't plan to go back to the tanning bed. I'm really scared about it. I do still think that a little bit of sun exposure (probably not any amount of tanning bed time though!) is healthy, but I'm only talking maybe ten minutes or so a day.

I think that I may try the self-tanning thing, even though it hasn't worked out well for me in the past. I think my major mistake was not exfoliating before applying it. I may invest in a good exfoliator, and also try a few different self-tanners. Does anyone have any suggestions? In the past, mine always ended up looking really bad on my feet (and hands sometimes), and they wore off unevenly, so I just looked splotchy and ridiculous.

What do you all think about Mystic Tanning? My tanning salon offers that, so I may go that route instead. Also, does the color stay on even when swimming? I spend a lot of time in the pool in the summer.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
shihtzulover|1306459623|2931344 said:
Thank you everyone for the advice!

This doctor was actually the second opinion that I sought. I go to a dermatology nurse practitioner within the same practice for my acne treatment. I showed it her during my last appointment, but she also thought that it wasn't anything to be worried about. I was still worried, so I went to him for a physician's opinion. Both of them looked at it through those goggles that they wear, and neither seem concerned. They both said that it probably will never cause a problem for me, but that I should watch it (along with any other moles that I have, or that I develop in the future). I'm not sure whether or not I should try a whole other practice, or just believe them.

In any case, I definitely don't plan to go back to the tanning bed. I'm really scared about it. I do still think that a little bit of sun exposure (probably not any amount of tanning bed time though!) is healthy, but I'm only talking maybe ten minutes or so a day.

I think that I may try the self-tanning thing, even though it hasn't worked out well for me in the past. I think my major mistake was not exfoliating before applying it. I may invest in a good exfoliator, and also try a few different self-tanners. Does anyone have any suggestions? In the past, mine always ended up looking really bad on my feet (and hands sometimes), and they wore off unevenly, so I just looked splotchy and ridiculous.

What do you all think about Mystic Tanning? My tanning salon offers that, so I may go that route instead. Also, does the color stay on even when swimming? I spend a lot of time in the pool in the summer.

oh good. i am so glad to hear you will not be visiting the tanning bed. skin cancer is not worth it!!! I used to go out in the sun and my mom has had 2 basal cell carcinomas...definitely not going out in the sun anymore without sunscreen/hats/clothing.

there are great fake tanners out there now. I did Mystic Tan once and liked it. It stays on for about a week. I also have some fake tanning products...but usually get too lazy to use them. Now that it is summer I think I will start again though! my legs are pale! Some of the lotions work well (I have Jergens)...they are more 'gradual' but also more forgiving if you mess up. I use the Bare Escentuals faux tan and like it but you do have to be careful...if you mess up it will be splotchy. I think this is true with any fake tan product though. The BE is tinted so you can see where you put it on but you do have to be careful.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear you decided not to go tanning anymore! If you forgo the tan now, you can gloat in later years over how awesomely unwrinkled you are later. For real. And that time will come much faster than you think possible!

My sister tanned, outside and in tanning beds, constantly as a teen and later just outside every summer as an adult. I never did. Now, she has tons of fine lines at 35- crows feet, forehead lines, smile lines- and I don't have a single one at 34. HUGE difference. And I get tons of compliments on my pale skin, even in my mid 30s.

I do hear ya on liking the "boost" you get from the sun or tanning beds, for sure. Invest in a good light for SAD, for real. And take vitamin D supplements if you don't- that can really affect mood and energy levels if you're low on it, as I discovered this year.

Oh and- definitely drop that doctor! Horrifying. Not the worst I've heard (that dubious honor goes to my BFF, who was asked if she liked sex toys and how good her orgasms were, whilst mid-pap smear- awkward!) but pretty ridiculous and awful.

Exfoliating, yes. Very important! I can't remember the self tanners I've tried and liked, but I know there are good ones out there that aren't too orangey. I think the lighter shades are the most real looking in general.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the info and link RE: being allergic to sunblock!

I use a zinc oxide based sunblock that basically looks like diaper rash ointment smoothed onto my skin. lol I use that over my little base tan and I don't burn. The problem with the zinc is that it rubs off. A normal sunblock penetrates and still gives the protection. When zinc rubs off, it seems the protection is gone. So, I end up with splotchy burns. Oh, so attractive! I avoided the sun like the plague for years. In my wedding photos, my skin was nearly as white as my dress. I just haven't found a way to be outside with the kids and not burn yet. (besides having the base tan) I'm going to look into the things listed here and maybe I won't look like a handbag either!

btw-My mom used to tan with baby oil, outside, everyday, for years, in TX. That and the smoking have made her look like old luggage.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Didn't read all posts, but I think should be aware that the body can (and will) produce new moles and freckles throughout your life.

I was recently surprised to see a new mole between my pinky toe and the next toe! Very odd, but not an illness or unusual. Just ignore them, it's no big deal.

When you choose a sunblock, choose one that has UVA AND UVB protection. Don't go for a high SPF, because the UVB protection wears off quickly and SPF is measured only in UVA. UVB is actually worse for you than UVA. Choose a 15-45 SPF, reapply every 2 hours if you are in the sun for the entire time. Reapply after sweating or swimming.

DO NOT get it in your eyes! Some old formulations caused temporary blindness (2-3 days) in the eyes.

My MIL developed a skin cancer on her finger, because she ALWAYS drove with her hand outside the car, holding on the roof. But skin cancer does not always develop at the point of exposure. It can crop up anywhere. If you are worried about it, get an all-over body check once a year by a dermatologist.

But honestly, I think you're worrying too much. Just don't increase your risk with the tanning beds. Here's the stats from the skin cancer foundation:

"Indoor ultraviolet (UV) tanners are 74 percent more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors.

People who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma."

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add in something that no one else has brought up.

A few years ago I noticed that when I get out in the sun, I get "sunspots" on my hands. I was devastated as I use sunblock religiously and even though I am hispanic and have a natural tan, I also darken very quickly regardless of how much sunblock I wear. I wear a daily SPF 15 moisturizer and my body lotion also has SPF. I wear a big hat and plenty of high SPF lotion that is reapplied like clockwork.

So how did I come up with these sunspots? And why only on my hands? I racked my brain and came up with nothing. Until a few weeks later I went to the nail salon for a mani and pedi. When they finished they led me over to a table to set the polish. That's when it dawned on me that that is exactly the same as a tanning bed! It's UV light to harden the nail polish!

I've never put my hands or feet under the UV lights again, but the damage is done. :(

I just wanted to throw that out there because every time I go to the nail salon and I say, "No, no UV, I will just wait." the workers look at me like I am crazy (after two years! still), but I can practically see the light bulb going off in other patron's heads...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
First off, that Dr. is a creep and steped WAY over the boundry of appropriate. He is 100% right about tanning though. Its a quick ticket to cancer. He is wrong however on size. You can have melooma's less than 6mm. I had one and had it not been caught by me and treated I would be dead today.

That being said, tanning beds are deadly. Tan skin is damaged skin. My melonoma was in my 20's and since then I avoid the sun. I am pale all year long and ignore society pressure to be tan and stay pale with sun screen and avoiding sun when possible.

A huge positive side affect is that now that I'm in my 40's, my tan loving friends are MUCH more wrinkled than me. I get complemented often when people find out my age. And my kids tell me I look much younger than their freinds moms. So by avoiding the sun for health reasons, it has helped me look younger.

Back to the Dr. A dermatologist commenting on your sexual partner is sooooo creepy.

Last week I went for an eye exam, and the eye Dr. commented on my large breasts. He kept going on and on about the size and how lucky I was to have large breasts etc.. It was so gross and I was so stunned that later I was upset with myself for not walking out of the room right then. It was just him and I in the room. Uh, HELLO, CREEPY! I will not be going back to that person ever again. He stepped over the boundry of appropriate and so did your Dr. I would avoid him.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Dont tan. Just don't. Either sun or tanning beds. Fake tan is the way to go.

Check your moles for change in size, colour, shape, any bleeding.

Religiously.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The present Derm doesn't really know what it is b/c he didn't remove or biopsy it. Visuals are good clinical tools but only provide a peice to the puzzle. You could ask to have it remove b/c it is bothering you--especially as it is on your hand.

Find another Derm and follow through with it.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results