shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I have questions about things but I don''t know that they each require their own thread, kwim? So, I thought I''d just make one thread for willy nilly questions.

My first question is about brilliant emerald cuts. Does anybody have one? I don''t recall seeing pics on here of this cut but maybe I missed them. I''d never heard of this cut until I saw a purple one on Dan''s site a couple weeks ago that was already sold. The pic is gone and I didn''t think to save it. It was really pretty, and I just wondered what it would look like IRL.

I''m trying to decide what I want to do for my next project..purple or green, oval, round, elongated cushion or this brilliant emerald cut so I thought asking questions might help narrow it down a little.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/23/2010 1:31:06 PM
Author:packrat
My first question is about brilliant emerald cuts.

Another name for this would be "cut corner rectangular radiant cut" or just radiant cut. Here''s one that I did years ago. I think the material was tourmaline. I kept the picture because I thought it looked like the face of a tiger...in a stylized way of course. I wonder if tourmaline lover will see any brown in this stone ?

Tiger1.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Michael! Would it be similar to an elongated cushion then?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 3:33:32 PM
Author: Michael_E

Another name for this would be 'cut corner rectangular radiant cut' or just radiant cut. Here's one that I did years ago. I think the material was tourmaline. I kept the picture because I thought it looked like the face of a tiger...in a stylized way of course. I wonder if tourmaline lover will see any brown in this stone ?

Why Michael, that's "camel color."
34.gif

Here's my brilliant emerald cut. 4.5 carat mint beryl. It's got the basic emerald shape, but extra faceting.

TLmintberyl2.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the picture TL! It''s very helpful to see. They look different than how I remember Dan''s stone looking in his picture, but I''m probably remembering it wrong, or it''s just how his picture was oriented.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 3:33:32 PM
Author: Michael_E

Another name for this would be ''cut corner rectangular radiant cut'' or just radiant cut. Here''s one that I did years ago. I think the material was tourmaline. I kept the picture because I thought it looked like the face of a tiger...in a stylized way of course. I wonder if tourmaline lover will see any brown in this stone ?
WOw--that is one GORGEOUS ring....

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love radiants! It was one of the cuts that I was most attracted to when I found PS. I had somewhat forgotten about them though, because I don''t see many in colored stones. I think there''s a PS''er that might have a Mahenge that''s a radiant? I remember that it was from Gary Braun...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, Amber. These rings are gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 8:22:54 PM
Author: IndyLady
I love radiants! It was one of the cuts that I was most attracted to when I found PS. I had somewhat forgotten about them though, because I don''t see many in colored stones. I think there''s a PS''er that might have a Mahenge that''s a radiant? I remember that it was from Gary Braun...
Could that be Cellentani''s Mahenge?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, that''s the one! I wonder if she''s set it...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo I''ll have to do a search on her Mahenge and check it out!

New question..I know there are zillions of cuts. Can a square stone be cut like an oec? Different shapes I know, but I just wondered if it could be modified, or maybe there''s already a square antique type cut?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
How square a "square" are you talking? Antique cushions are squarish/rectangular shaped with rounded corners.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha, once I posted that I thought about that..but I did mean an actual square. But really, if you put prongs (like say, fishtails) over the corners and it wouldn''t matter if they were rounded or pointed.

Well boy that was a quick one haha

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 9:54:15 PM
Author: packrat
New question..I know there are zillions of cuts. Can a square stone be cut like an oec? Different shapes I know, but I just wondered if it could be modified, or maybe there''s already a square antique type cut?
Anything is always possible; the issue is that will an OMC or OEC facet pattern be best to highlight the colour of the gem? Will the weight loss be too great (and as such affect the value and rarity of the gem) when cut into a specific shape? If a stone has too much weight loss, the cutter will have to charge more for the final result (plus cutting labour), which in turn, raises the selling price, which in turn means a more expensive stone that customers will balk at.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to blaspheme here, so sensitive posters please cover your eyes.

I''d suggest testing these newer cuts on a piece of lab rough. That way you can see the effect with essentially the expected color and characteristics of the gem you want without wasting a precious piece of natural material.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, the problem is that lab rough is that it always comes with perfect colour and isn’t representative of what Mother Nature gives us. So unless the natural material comes with perfect ideal colour, a person still cannot predict what the final outcome will look like.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Uppy, Chrono and TL! That video is helpful TL! I find I like the radiants, but I think I might like either an emerald cut or an elongated cushion instead. Or maybe a square emerald cut. Hmph..not getting any easier, this particular project, so I might have to put it to the side and think of my other one.

Do you find that certain colors just call out for certain cuts? That they look better done a certain way?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To some extent, certain colours and tones do look better with certain cuts, so yes. I like concave faceting for light toned and light saturated stones: mint garnets/tourmalines and even aquamarines.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/25/2010 1:22:40 PM
Do you find that certain colors just call out for certain cuts? That they look better done a certain way?

Yes, darker stones which tend to show extinction, such as garnets, spinels, zircons and sapphires always look better when cut in some form of brilliant cut such as a radiant or barion style, often with shorter crowns and smallish tables. The idea behind this is to get the most uniform reflective display which will "break up" the dark body color of the stone and any large areas of extinction. Cutting darker stones requires having the right balance of facet size to stone size so that you get the best distribution of flash to darkness giving an overall impression of a lighter stone. I think that dark stones also look better in designs which have no corners or points, as these tend to lead to areas of head reflection and extinction of just plain concentration of color.

Cutting lighter stones requires as great a light path as possible in order to show the best depth of color, (usually meaning as deep a stone as possible). I think that light colors can benefit from designs having corners and points, as those areas concentrate color, making the entire stone appear darker.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 11:35:11 AM
Author: Chrono

Sorry I missed this! Actually, I''m not sure what to call this particular cut with its scissor crown and a radiant pavilion - modified radiant? scradiant? I haven''t set it yet, but I did look when I was in NYC - nothing jumped out at me, lol.

IMG_7414.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 1:22:40 PM
Thanks Uppy, Chrono and TL! That video is helpful TL! I find I like the radiants, but I think I might like either an emerald cut or an elongated cushion instead. Or maybe a square emerald cut. Hmph..not getting any easier, this particular project, so I might have to put it to the side and think of my other one.

Well, my mint beryl is perfect for that cut. It really enhances the color well, so I agree with you on that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dangit Cell! I *thought* I''d managed to make up my mind a teensy bit on this one but..now I don''t know!

Do you guys find you''re drawn to the same cuts most of the time? I ask b/c I''ve got 2 ideas for projects and one of them I''m pretty sure I want to do another supernova oval!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 6:52:06 PM
Dangit Cell! I *thought* I''d managed to make up my mind a teensy bit on this one but..now I don''t know!

Do you guys find you''re drawn to the same cuts most of the time? I ask b/c I''ve got 2 ideas for projects and one of them I''m pretty sure I want to do another supernova oval!
LOL packrat!! I do have cuts that I''m drawn to (square shapes, Gene''s Star 80) and frankly, while color is obviously important, I''m more drawn to cuts. It''s possible for me to enjoy a less desirable color if it has a great cut.
6.gif
My morganite ring is a good example of that. I also find that certain cuts are just more flattering on my hand, so it makes sense to buy more than one stone in that same cut.

As for your supernova, I totally understand - I''m not an oval fan at all, but those are just yummy!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 4:46:09 PM
Author: cellentani
Date: 5/24/2010 11:35:11 AM

Author: Chrono

Sorry I missed this! Actually, I''m not sure what to call this particular cut with its scissor crown and a radiant pavilion - modified radiant? scradiant? I haven''t set it yet, but I did look when I was in NYC - nothing jumped out at me, lol.

IMG_7414.JPG

Cell, I just love your Mahenge. Heheh, a scradient!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results