shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about coffee

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been drinking Stok iced coffee on a daily basis for about three years now. I gave up takeout coffee a long time ago, and have since almost exclusively been drinking coffee at home.

I got married last week and we stayed at a historic hotel for a night (minimoon), and the coffee they were serving at the cafe was spectacular. It made me realize what I’ve been missing out on. We called the hotel after to find out what it was, but the front desk wasn’t sure and we didn’t want to keep calling :cheeky:

What do you make at home? Is it what you make or *how* you brew it? We are also looking to upgrade our brewing method. Right now we are rocking with a 15 year old Mr. Coffee

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been drinking Stok iced coffee on a daily basis for about three years now. I gave up takeout coffee a long time ago, and have since almost exclusively been drinking coffee at home.

I got married last week and we stayed at a historic hotel for a night (minimoon), and the coffee they were serving at the cafe was spectacular. It made me realize what I’ve been missing out on. We called the hotel after to find out what it was, but the front desk wasn’t sure and we didn’t want to keep calling :cheeky:

What do you make at home? Is it what you make or *how* you brew it? We are also looking to upgrade our brewing method. Right now we are rocking with a 15 year old Mr. Coffee

I really like this one. Very rich and smooth and not bitter at all. We just have a drip brewer with a stainless steel pot. It’s nothing fancy, but I do make sure to clean it out (run vinegar and water through it) every other month or so.Cameron's Coffee Roasted Ground Coffee Bag, Breakfast Blend, 32 Ounce, (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/8UhCSPc

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the smallest cafetière (French press, 12oz/0.35L supposed to be sufficient for 3 cups, yeah right!) for making just one cup of coffee.

With the strongest ground coffee I could find, normally Lavazza's Espresso, 2 scoops for just 1 cup.

I like it strong, and only have just 1 cup in the morning, with double cream and sugar or other natural sweetener.

Weird I know, however, that's how I like it.

DK :))

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all, Congratulations on Your Marriage!

I think you should call the hotel and ask to speak to a manager of the cafe. Then explain how memorable their coffee is, they will be thrilled with the feedback and hopefully will give you some details. Ask about the brand, bean type (what geographic location) and roast and how they made it. If it’s really good coffee, they likely have a coffee geek who’s happy to share!

I‘m sorry but I’ve been languishing for years with sub par coffee. My favorite used to be Indonesian grown beans because of low acidity and nutty taste, but these beans aren’t really found in USA anymore, Peet’s used to carry them before it went national, I haven’t found anything close for years.

I use Lavazza regular at home. I asked the barista at a museum what they used and they told me Lavazza. It’s pretty good. Once a year, their “regular” beans get really good, then they cycle back to something else! I’m always looking for a consistent brand but sad to say I haven’t found one!

Coffee brew method is really important, measure, weight, certain water temperature, etc. A good coffee maker seems to do the brew part for you. My husband read about coffee makers on Wirecutter and picked the lowest cost one (machines are crazy expensive now), it actually comes out better than my ceramic single cup pour over.

Most of all, get that coffee tip from your hotel. It all starts with the beans/coffee. Good luck!

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this one. Very rich and smooth and not bitter at all. We just have a drip brewer with a stainless steel pot. It’s nothing fancy, but I do make sure to clean it out (run vinegar and water through it) every other month or so.Cameron's Coffee Roasted Ground Coffee Bag, Breakfast Blend, 32 Ounce, (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/8UhCSPc

Thank you!!!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, Congratulations on Your Marriage!

I think you should call the hotel and ask to speak to a manager of the cafe. Then explain how memorable their coffee is, they will be thrilled with the feedback and hopefully will give you some details. Ask about the brand, bean type (what geographic location) and roast and how they made it. If it’s really good coffee, they likely have a coffee geek who’s happy to share!

I‘m sorry but I’ve been languishing for years with sub par coffee. My favorite used to be Indonesian grown beans because of low acidity and nutty taste, but these beans aren’t really found in USA anymore, Peet’s used to carry them before it went national, I haven’t found anything close for years.

I use Lavazza regular at home. I asked the barista at a museum what they used and they told me Lavazza. It’s pretty good. Once a year, their “regular” beans get really good, then they cycle back to something else! I’m always looking for a consistent brand but sad to say I haven’t found one!

Coffee brew method is really important, measure, weight, certain water temperature, etc. A good coffee maker seems to do the brew part for you. My husband read about coffee makers on Wirecutter and picked the lowest cost one (machines are crazy expensive now), it actually comes out better than my ceramic single cup pour over.

Most of all, get that coffee tip from your hotel. It all starts with the beans/coffee. Good luck!

Ok, I am equal parts humiliated and amused… I called the hotel today raving about the coffee. It was FOLGERS!!! :lol:

I said “Really?!” and the clerk goes “I know, everyone asks this question but it really is Folgers Breakfast Blend.”

Wow. Ok! I am going to give some of these suggestions a try regardless… and clean my coffee pot with the white vinegar!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Coffee snob here with a 18yo daughter who is a trained barista - we have a proper Italian espresso machine with a burr grinder, then a Breville Precision brewer for filtered coffee and lastly a cold brew Kitchenaid setup for the fridge.

Personally I dislike the filtered coffee - that was our daughter’s 18th present. She drinks it when she’s at work and asked for the machine as her present. My husband and MIL who lives next door both love the taste of it - it’s too flowery for me. I make a very good latte / cappuccino however my daughter makes an outstanding one (according to my Mum each Sunday when we have family brunch). The cold brew is mainly for me in summer as I prefer a cold drink over ice and cold brewing brings out nuances from the coffee beans.

The main thing with coffee is as well as using correct grinding techniques it will always come down to fresh roasted beans. Never from a supermarket - only from a roaster and it independent coffee shop.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wes luvs ours coffees!

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im not a great coffee drinker but the OH is a very good coffee maker, we have a vintage Italian machine and a huge grinder (that would kill someone in an earthquake)
i think the freshness of the beans has an awful lot to do with great coffee so we tend to buy locally roasted, little and often, from the supermarket where turnover is high

at work we had an automatic machine, all we did was fill it up, it grinds as its needed but you could always tell when the beans were fresh in

@OreoRosies86 congradulations on your wedding, best wishes for a long and happy life together

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I am equal parts humiliated and amused… I called the hotel today raving about the coffee. It was FOLGERS!!! :lol:

I said “Really?!” and the clerk goes “I know, everyone asks this question but it really is Folgers Breakfast Blend.”

Wow. Ok! I am going to give some of these suggestions a try regardless… and clean my coffee pot with the white vinegar!

You know what? if you loved what they served you and can figure out how they brewed it, then do it. You don't have to be a coffee snob. You have to find the coffee that you love. And if it's Folgers, then think how much money you will save drinking a coffee you love, at a fair price point! Sounds to me that's kind of a lucky situation.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your marriage!
Now, coffee. The best topic!
We buy espresso-roast (so medium-darkish) single origins. The “correct” way to roast them is light but I love the caramelly taste of the darker roasts so meh to the right way.
We buy a kilo each a month and store it in the freezer or fridge. My husband’s preference is for a Colombian. Mine varies (think Peru, Ethiopian, Congo etc) but I had the nicest Honduran recently that I might stick with that for a bit.
We grind it nearly espresso-fine in a Baratza burr grinder then make a strong pour over, either Chemex on the weekends when we’ve got a bit more time to sit round or Hario V60 during the week to make individual cups.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m ordering a new coffee maker as a little post wedding gift to us, and am going to run a taste test from Folgers through all the suggestions here. I suspect a crappy brewing system is the reason why I haven’t enjoyed coffee at home unless in a premade bottle.

I also believe temperature had a lot to do with how enjoyable the coffee was at the hotel! It wasn’t scalding hot the way ours turns out coffee. It was a nice, smooth, drinkable temperature when poured.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I’m ordering a new coffee maker as a little post wedding gift to us, and am going to run a taste test from Folgers through all the suggestions here. I suspect a crappy brewing system is the reason why I haven’t enjoyed coffee at home unless in a premade bottle.

I also believe temperature had a lot to do with how enjoyable the coffee was at the hotel! It wasn’t scalding hot the way ours turns out coffee. It was a nice, smooth, drinkable temperature when poured.

I think you are correct! I bet their machine calibrates the optimal temperature and then keeps it there for serving.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yes, temperature and grind need to be right. Even the best beans can’t save a cup brewed too hot or beans ground too fine/ coarse.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love coffee though I can only have 1 cup a day.

Mine isn't terribly fancy:

Eight O'clock Coffee, Colombian Peaks is my as its not terribly high in acid and for what it is, easy to get. Artisan coffee to me is a bit more than I can handle these days! I get whole beans as I grind every day.

My coffee grinder is a kitchenaid A9 I love this thing, it always grinds the beans just right, thankfully has never broken down though I have had to change the grinding wheels once.

For water, I have a whole house filter, then another filter on the kitchen tap. I do keep bottled water on hand because you just never know...

Again, nothing fancy on the coffee maker. I either do pour over or cuisanart coffee maker. No matter the method I have to use a paper filter. I did pour over for a couple of years as my coffee maker got taken out by a electrical surge during hurricane season.

I boil the water in the kettle and pour over or have the machine do it, depends on how much time I have/how lazy I am in the morning.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
It seems that the way you brew it is as important as what you brew. We got a Moccamaster a few years ago. Oh my goodness. It brews incredible coffee.

As to what beans, we usually use Starbucks. And I’m a heathen—I purchase ground beans.

There’s a huge difference even between the same coffee grounds between this and our old coffeemaker. My only gripe with this one is that the carafe doesn’t hold as much and I’m a high volume coffee gal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results