shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk me out of it - or into it... OEC in pawn

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few months ago while making my pawn shop rounds, I came across this nice large OEC in a modern cushion halo setting with pave half-way down the shank and a soldered-on matching pave band.

The stone itself measures 7.5 x 7.3 x (undetermined due to setting). I am no gemologist, but didn’t see anything internally with a 10x loupe. Frosted girdle, pretty even all the way around – medium? I spent a lot of time with this ring and at that time they pretty much told me I could get it for 6k. Being that is a lot of money for an uncerted unknown quantity.

And… I am NOT a gemologist, but would venture this stone – due to the giant pillowy crown – easily weighs over 1.75. It is pretty warm – maybe L-N? It seems (to me) very, very loupe clean. VS for sure.

Trying to do comps is hard (not fair) because I’m not comparing known quantity to known quantity. Still, looking anything from 1.5 to 1.7 carat GIA L-P, VS1 to SI1, for the STONE ONLY (not rings), the (retail) price is within a tolerable range. It could be a VVS… I didn’t look at those.

This ring, I could probably get them down even further, because it’s been there for a few months after the 6K they readily intimated that I could get it for back then (25% off marked). They now say they want to move it before year end. Obviously the sales guy won’t get any commission if it goes to the diamond exchange and the setting gets scrapped.

Here’s some of my hesitations (other than trying to convince hubby that getting me another diamond ring will stave off me wanting another one in several months…) (he’s totally like “buy it, use the vacation fund”)

a. I don’t particularly love the setting (which is part of the price) and it doesn’t fit anyway (size pinky), so I’d either have to size to wear now, or get a new setting;
b. I won’t know the known quantity until dismounting the stone and sending to GIA, which would come back after the return period - and I’ll still have this mounting that I don’t want/need;
c. I got a “new” transitional stone one year ago that is 7.13 mm (but no pillowy crown) (which I do love) and hubs (and I) have considered that this stone won’t be “big enough” (0.3-0.4mm bigger)

Should I keep looking/saving and buy a different preloved, certed stone from one of the PS recommended vendors (there is one I’ve drooled on, that I would LOVE to have, if I actually had 4K more…) or should I make an offer of 30% (or more) off this one to get it and take chances that it comes back in the estimated range?

Here are some pics. Not sure how to load a video, but I have one of those, too.

top_9.jpg

three-quarter.jpg

crown_view.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6k is too big of a gamble for a stone in a setting you don't love. Also I don't think it's enough of a size difference from your other stone. Pass for me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd give him your number, tell him you only want the diamond, for X of money because: risk, uncertainty, no papers and then tell him to call you if he can meet those terms. Let him evaluate his options...

If it's meant to be, he will call

I wouldn't beg him to let me buy it.... ya know...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice big crown and small table. If you could buy the whole thing cheap enough you might be able to resell the setting on LT or to another jewellery store, or I agree just ask on the price of the stone only.

pinn

Rough_Rock
Can you buy it, take it to an appraiser and then return it if you don't want it or send it to GIA if you do want it? It seems taking it to an appraiser first would give you roughly the specs you were looking for and would get around the problem of GIA taking longer than the return period.

Also you could sell just the setting on LT. I know it's a bit more complicated with halo settings but people still do it, and you'd have to do the math figure out whether it would be worth it.

Doing both of those things is a pain so I wouldn't bother if you didn't really love the diamond or at least think you could definitely make some money on resale.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unless you absolutely love the ring as a whole, and it can be made wearable for your finger size, I'd steer clear. Having a new setting made for it is going to eat up a chunk of change, and you don't know if there are any chips hidden by the prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results