shape
carat
color
clarity

taking surprise er on airline..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
hey ps family,
haven''t been on for a week, just been brainstorming last min things for my big hawai''i trip in june. So everything is set, i should be expecting my ring on the 20th today is march 1st right?.. yea ok the 20th hehehe...tickets to hawai''i has been bought, ring ordered, i was going down my check list this weekend and i''ve encountered a question may sound dumb but it''s my first time in this predictiment. keep in mind im trying to keep this er surprise t''ill we actually on oahu, so i was thinking..hummm..don''t we go through soooo many security checks in airports these day''s? and also metal detectors? and i''m pretty sure my girlfriend will be right by myside during security checks..so i was thinking if the metal dectector beeps or the xray machine catches something etc...they will tell me to empty my belongings on the tray right?..sorry i know a million men went through a airport with there surprise er. i''m just questioning it because i dont want my surprise to get spoiled.. i don''t want to have to be on one knee proposing at security check point #1 at san fransisco international airport because my surprise got blown hehehehe what you all think?...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not the type of metal that will set it off. Don''t worry, you are fine!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is the same as keys. Just keep it in your winter jacket and sent it through the x-ray machine and not on your body, the metal detector will not go off.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 6:28:09 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
It is the same as keys. Just keep it in your winter jacket and sent it through the x-ray machine and not on your body, the metal detector will not go off.

ditto..

My best friend''s FI also proposed in Hawaii last year and that''s how he did it...

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
My FI had to carry the ring through security, and later he told me he was super worried that they would check his bag, and he''d have to propose in the airport
2.gif
FI said he had it on him the whole time, and nothing went wrong. He did not want it in his checked luggage because you never know what will happen to those.

You''ll be fine!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
My FI carried it in a money belt that was then tucked into his pants (not in the box but wrapped up tight) it is a secure way and it doesn''t set the machine off :).

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Man, I''m appreciating more and more the stress you guys go through with these proposals!!
(I never would have thought of this as a potential problem!) ha

Good Luck!!!!!
36.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
My rings have never set off security. My big Chopard watch has at one of the more sensitive checkpoints [SLC - they are all set to different tolerances] but it is a big chunk of stainless steel. If you keep the ring in your pocket you should be fine.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure it will be fine! I routinely wear my jewelry through security (watch, rings, earrings, etc.) and I''ve never set off an alarm.

If you''re worried though, putting it into a jacket pocket and sending it through the x-ray''s a good idea - just make sure it won''t fall out (pockets with zippers would be nice!
1.gif
)

Good luck!

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
thank you,
everyone for the feedback i can always count on each and one of you each time i have a question you guys are great.. i know i shouldnt of waited till june..to propose in hawai''i but i think it''''ll be al worth it.. the only question left now is? how do i hold this secret till june...weve been through arguments, deep talks, and her questioning where''s all my money going to (in my mind) im like ohhh you are going to feel so bad questioning my financial status.. now she thinks im a liar!!! because she doesnt know where all my money is going, she doesnt know i just made a big purchase.. ohhh is she in for it!! but what is a guy to do for the mean time...?? how long can i make up excuses.hahahaha???

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Why don''t you just tell her the money is going towards a ring and that you are "saving up"? Does she know the money''s gone yet? you could convince her you are saving for a long time so she doesn''t even know u have the ring?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The hinges on the box are actually likelier to set off the alarms than the actual ring. If it were me, I''d put the little sucker into a small paper envelope or tiny plastic baggie (both stock jeweler''s supplies), and just tuck it into a pocket. No chance of loss, theft, or detection. :)

On your second question ... dude, June is a long way away! I would hate to spend 4 months doubting my equal status in a relationship (i.e., we both *seem* to want something, we''ve discussed it, so ... what is happening?) just for the sake of a surprise. If the surprise proposal is crucial to you, perhaps you could set up something local a little sooner, and *really* enjoy your vacation when the time comes?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed with the answers to the 2nd Question. Better not go through 4 mths of doubts... It can get bad.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 5:54:22 PM
Author: neatfreak
It''s not the type of metal that will set it off. Don''t worry, you are fine!
Ditto

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgotten what is the metal of your ring?

Ni, Co are magnetic metals, used for the manufacture of magnets, so could probably set it off in high conc. But question is do you want to risk it getting beep at the sensor or just be safe and let it go through the x-ray machine in your coat. It is not like you are checking it in with your luggage and will only be out of your sight for a few seconds, a minute at the top.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:13:48 AM
Author: evaldez
thank you,
everyone for the feedback i can always count on each and one of you each time i have a question you guys are great.. i know i shouldnt of waited till june..to propose in hawai''i but i think it''ll be al worth it.. the only question left now is? how do i hold this secret till june...weve been through arguments, deep talks, and her questioning where''s all my money going to (in my mind) im like ohhh you are going to feel so bad questioning my financial status.. now she thinks im a liar!!! because she doesnt know where all my money is going, she doesnt know i just made a big purchase.. ohhh is she in for it!! but what is a guy to do for the mean time...?? how long can i make up excuses.hahahaha???
You could tell her you have made an "investment", that the "return" was too good to pass up.
2.gif

Or, you could just ask her if she trusts you, and when she says yes, tell her she will eventually know where the money went, and not to worry, it will all be fine. (she does trust you, right??)
9.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she''s freaking out I would do it sooner personally. You don''t want to strain her to the point of getting resentful.

evaldez

Shiny_Rock
omgosh,
thankyou everyone for your feed back on both questions.. yes we''ve been arguing here and there..usually she''s fine we have seperate accounts she doesnt care about my finiancial stability.but......why does this always happend!! it could of happend last year or it could happnen after we get back from hawaii..but nooooo..!!! my dad comes along and ask for a 1500 dollar loan..may seem like change to alot of you folks but to me right now..its alot!!!!..and i plain out said i couldnt do it...so here comes my gf to the rescue and lends my dad the 1500..then thats when it all starts....where''s all your money going to?... your dad needs help and you can''t even lend a hand?....yadayadayada!!!.. (in my mind im steaming) (thinking ohhh you are going to feel so bad) after everything is said and done... then i start blaming myself..maybe i should of opened my mouth and just told my dad hey i just wired wf money for my surprise er...but thats besides the fact....i shouldnt even explain to no one what i do with my money!!! ...and here comes along the lovely sister who voices her oppionin but doesnt help out herself....ohhhh he has all this money but he can''t help my dad!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! can some one get a fire extinguisher and put the fire out thats burning inside of me!!!!!! pllleeeaseeeee!!!!!! this should be my happy excited times.....!!! please voice your oppinions i beg all of youi!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ev, just tell your dad and sis where it went, unless, they can''t keep a secret. If not, tell them you invested it and can''t take it out without a big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results