shape
carat
color
clarity

Take a Look at This Oval for Me?

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on a large oval.
I initially wanted the Distinctive Gem heritage oval, but for the dimensions I want (4ct), I need to go up on the carat size by 1.5cts, with lower color and then, if I lower the size dimensions, it is still over $20K more as a lab grown diamond. For reference, this would be more than twice the cost of the stone below.

I’m considering lowering my desired specs and size to obtain one because of their ideal light return, compared to regular ovals, especially because it’s an antique cut.
I already own a 2.44 ct RB cut by BGD (faces up like a 2.7ct), so I’m used to amazing light return.
However, I truly wondered if it’s the most financially sound decision to go with a DG oval. It just makes it hard to swallow and justify to my boyfriend. (Rhino has been great with communication, by the way)

We don’t have a set budget right now (just getting an idea of expectations), but we are looking for the best deal or bang for buck, with all things considered.

So, when I went on a search to compare the spread of a DG lab grown oval to a regular lab grown oval, and stumbled across this oval. It seemed perfect for both specs and budget.
We were not looking to buy right now, but felt it could be a good deal that we may miss out on.

I know we have to see it in person, and it’s on the way, but I’d love your help in what we have so far. There’s a 60-day return policy, so we have time to see if the light performance is something we (I) can live with.

Specs:
4.0 ct
F color
SI 1 clarity (imperfections on periphery)
12.32 x 9.12 x 5.63
1.35 ratio
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 58%
Crown: 15%
Pavilion: 42.5%
Excellent polish and symmetry
IGI graded

Here is the lab certificate:
2254CED0-F7FA-4D25-9801-BF7001AE62BF.png

Here is the video:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
With that kind of cost savings and return policy, it seems like a safe venture to be able to test drive it, even if you do end up returning it.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have an IGI graded lab oval it’s a D color and it’s the whitest thing I’ve ever seen which surprised me being IGI and an oval. It’s whiter than my GIA G color ideal cut round.

So I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s going to show yellow. I don’t think it’s a given that IGI always over grades color in lab stones.

My suggestion is to buy it and see what you think. Our snap judgments based on the little information we have could cloud your view of the stone before you even see it.

Ovals really need to be seen in person to be judged. You have a good return policy so buy it and view it in as many different locations and light types as you can. See if YOU love it. If you don’t send it back and keep looking. I personally could never spend as much as you are thinking of spending on a lab diamond for the DG stone.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
No bow tie which is good.
Nothing else to know from a low quality video.
IGI F will show some yellow in the crushed ice region.

Thanks for your input!
I thought it was a good video? But, I’m just a consumer. What should I be looking for in a video when examining a diamond?

Posting the direct link, in case quality was degraded by uploading to Google drive: https://media.lovbegrowndiamonds.com/imaged/LG468175268/video.mp4

Also, it looks to lack a bow tie to me, too. So, happy that you see that as well. It’s what made me pull the trigger. That, and hoping it faces up as white as it looks. Keeping fingers crossed.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
With that kind of cost savings and return policy, it seems like a safe venture to be able to test drive it, even if you do end up returning it.

Thanks! I watched it for a few days, and thought, staring at it in a computer screen is not going to get me closer to a comfortable decision. Just need to buy it and see it. I’m excited. Also, bought it to see if would be comfortable with the dimensions of a 4ct oval.

Edit: autocorrect typos on my phone

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I watched it for a few days, and thought, staring at it in a computer screen is nothing going to get me closer to a comfortable decision. Just need to buy it and see it. I’m excited. Also, bought it to see if would be comfortable with the dimensions of a 4ct oval.

Awesome! Looking forward to reading your initial thoughts as well as any conclusions after a few weeks or so of it being in your hands!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I have an IGI graded lab oval it’s a D color and it’s the whitest thing I’ve ever seen which surprised me being IGI and an oval. It’s whiter than my GIA G color ideal cut round.

So I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s going to show yellow. I don’t think it’s a given that IGI always over grades color in lab stones.

My suggestion is to buy it and see what you think. Our snap judgments based on the little information we have could cloud your view of the stone before you even see it.

Ovals really need to be seen in person to be judged. You have a good return policy so buy it and view it in as many different locations and light types as you can. See if YOU love it. If you don’t send it back and keep looking. I personally could never spend as much as you are thinking of spending on a lab diamond for the DG stone.

It makes me feel better that your IGI oval D is as white as expected! Thank you for that. I’m more excited now. After your post, I did a search and found a thread where Ada diamonds sent several IGI stones to GIA (I believe) and they came back almost the same for color. 2 of them even got an upgrade in color. So, that has put my mind at ease.

And, yes, I plan to carry it around everywhere with me during that return window. I know the light performance won’t match a DG one, but I hope this stone at least “sings to me.”

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
It makes me feel better that your IGI oval D is as white as expected! Thank you for that. I’m more excited now. After your post, I did a search and found a thread where Ada diamonds sent several IGI stones to GIA (I believe) and they came back almost the same for color. 2 of them even got an upgrade in color. So, that has put my mind at ease.

And, yes, I plan to carry it around everywhere with me during that return window. I know the light performance won’t match a DG one, but I hope this stone at least “sings to me.”

It may well do that. I bought my oval as a fun right hand ring not expecting to love it as much as I do. I’m almost sad I didn’t choose oval for my e-ring now!

aisa901

Rough_Rock

I second that the color evaluation of your IGI oval may very well be a true F once you see it in person based on my own experience (n=1). I have an IGI lab grown F that I purchased myself from JA and when I brought it to the jeweller to get it set, they said at first glance they thought it was a D color. My oval has some blue nuance to it, however there was no source of UV at the jewellers so I don't think that was affecting how the diamond color was appearing. I find it very bright and white and the side stone melee they matched for the setting are E/F color.

My non-professional opinion based on the video and specs is that your oval looks very promising, like others have said, make sure to look at it in a variety of lighting situations. There are some awesome youtube video's from Rhino's School of Rock that will help you understand what to look for in the different lighting situations... I just forget which ones though since I've watched so many!!

Exciting to see an update on this one!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I second that the color evaluation of your IGI oval may very well be a true F once you see it in person based on my own experience (n=1). I have an IGI lab grown F that I purchased myself from JA and when I brought it to the jeweller to get it set, they said at first glance they thought it was a D color. My oval has some blue nuance to it, however there was no source of UV at the jewellers so I don't think that was affecting how the diamond color was appearing. I find it very bright and white and the side stone melee they matched for the setting are E/F color.

My non-professional opinion based on the video and specs is that your oval looks very promising, like others have said, make sure to look at it in a variety of lighting situations. There are some awesome youtube video's from Rhino's School of Rock that will help you understand what to look for in the different lighting situations... I just forget which ones though since I've watched so many!!

Exciting to see an update on this one!

Thank you!
Will keep you all posted.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
It's here!!!
Came a day earlier than projected!
First day impressions: I think I'm in love! :kiss2: I may even like it more than my RB :shock:.
Happy to report, I could not make out a dark bow tie on it-- at least in the ways I viewed it. Not sure how it would appear set.

I purchased it from LoveBe Lab Grown Diamonds through Rare Carat's website, which is awesome, by the way. They seem to be a newer company, based on their few IG posts, so I was a little hesitant. However, being backed by Rare Carat and their 60-day return policy made it easier to make the jump. Only slight negative is the lack of diamond holder ring, like I received from BGD. No big deal, though.

Now, on to the pictures! ---- I know it has been said time and time again, but trying to capture a diamond on camera is super hard! It does not do the diamond justice at all.

Paranoid of finger smudges, I wore blue nitrite gloves to handle the stone. :lol: Also, my phone is a rose gold iPhone, and you can spot those colors reflected in the stone.

Please bear with me, as I have tons of pictures, and I'm a novice lol. Being that the sun started out bright, then went into hiding, then subtly came back out as it was setting, I wanted to capture as many lighting environments as I could for you all to see.

Near the end, I realized that lowering the exposure down really low helped to capture the contrast. I was really trying to bring out a bow-tie.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Pics! Please excuse my unmanicured and dry hands. :oops: And, sorry for the reflections of my phone and gloves on the case. It was hard to hold the stone upright without the diamond ring holder, and the diamond would just roll out whenever I removed the case.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Sun is out bright; room with lots of windows:

Facing away from the sun, normal camera exposure
IMG_2645.jpg

Facing towards the sun, normal camera exposure

IMG_2652.jpg

In direct sunlight, normal camera exposure
IMG_2651.jpg

Upside down side view on white paper, trying to capture body color (cloudy outside now):

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

Hand shots, cloudy, normal camera exposure:

IMG_2670.jpg

img_2669-jpg.835236

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

Cloudy, low exposure on camera, trying to bring out bow tie:

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

More pics in next post....

Attachments

• IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2669.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
More pics!

Sun is back out :cool2:

Facing away from the sun, low exposure on camera:
IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

Direct sunlight, low exposure on camera:
IMG_2685.jpg

Last edited:

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Wow, well done :clap:, looks bright, white and sparkly to me!!! I think it's stunning! How are you planning on setting it?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That is one beautiful oval!
Congrats on picking what looks to be a winner!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
The very last photo you posted looks like a ring for a fairytale princess =)2

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! It’s huge and white and sparkly!

Thank you!! It really is! It looks so much whiter IRL, too. The reflection of my rose gold phone made that hard to capture.

That is one beautiful oval!
Congrats on picking what looks to be a winner!

Thank you!! I absolutely love the 1.35 ratio! I've ordered diamond holders - one ring and one pen to be able to assess it better out of the box and off my hand.

The very last photo you posted looks like a ring for a fairytale princess =)2

:razz: :halo: Thank you!! It is one of my favorite shots. The diamond was so lively, and this one captured it the best.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, well done :clap:, looks bright, white and sparkly to me!!! I think it's stunning! How are you planning on setting it?

Thanks!! :praise:

A setting is one I have been contemplating for a long time. Some options I've been considering:

1. Micropave halo:

Like the Emilya, which I adore! However, I've felt that ovals are different than cushions and rounds, and look better in non-halo settings, to keep the clean elegance of the shape of the stone (I feel the same about emerald cuts).

But then, I ran across this video of a super blingy 4ct oval halo by this Youtuber. :eek-2:. 2-sided halo and 3-row micropave band. It's gorgeous! Made me want a halo ring more. Wonder if it's too blingy and huge for real life.

4ct oval youtube pic.jpg

2. Antique solitaire:

Since I originally wanted an antique oval and have a love for antique designs for their timelessness.

McClelland.jpg

DK Ring4.png . By David Klass :kiss2:

3. The popular simple pave solitaire:

Like this one by LM, but single-row pave for durability.
r6960_Ring_Diamond_Leon_Mege_New_York_watermark5.jpg

4. 8-prong simple solitaire:
Antique style, 8 prongs to really highlight the shape, create a crown-like basket, clean, fluid lines. Or with pave

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

Sort of also considering 3-stone settings- with trapezoids (brilliant or step cut), epaulettes, or tapered baguettes.

Last edited:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
@tyty333 I've been reading that you're the PS expert on ovals! What are your thoughts on this oval (specs, cert, and video), please?

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Update:
I feel like the few larger facets of my oval speak out to be more than the crushed ice ones, but they are scarce. I may need to go back to antique ovals. Even the JannPaul ideal modern oval has more long, broader facets of a RB than a traditional cut oval. But they are in Singapore *sigh*.

Posted in another thread, but posting here as well:

One cut I have absolutely fallen in love with is the Sirius Star Oval. It was recommended here in an older thread I read, and OMG :kiss2: . It's by master cutter @MikeBotha . I love the facet pattern the best out of the branded ovals I've seen.
Not sure if that cut is considered antique or modern, but it's divine and looks like the best of both worlds! Only thing is that it appears to be very limited in the US. He is in Canada *deep sigh*.

Also, I have been searching and do not see where this cut is being offered for lab grown diamonds. May need to wait it out to see if it ever does. I seriously am in love with that cut.
Also, would like to know the depth of that cut and wonder if it needs to be as deep (with reduced spread) as the DG ovals for its performance.

Link to a video of it :kiss2: :

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results