shape
carat
color
clarity

Takara cultured diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
How do you guys feel about these?

I read about them on www.betterthandiamond.com

Honestly, I liked the thought of light blue accent stones on either side of my center stone. If you have read my thread "asscher and setting", you know what I''m talking about. How much would this hurt the value/quality of my ring?

I''m torn because I''m not sure if I should see them as real or fake.
confused.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
How much would this hurt the value/quality of my ring?

I'm torn because I'm not sure if I should see them as real or fake.
----------------

"Fake" is not really the best word here. Synthetic diamonds are not "fake" in the same sense that CZ and Moissanite are fake. Synthetic diamonds are virtually identical to natural diamonds in chemical composition, optical qualities, etc. The preferred terms are natural vs. synthetic (although the people who make the synthetics prefer "cultured" or "lab-created").

That said, a lot of people have visceral reactions to synthetic stones, and if you chose to use synthetics in your ring, those people--admittedly, not trade professionals--will look at it as little different than if you had used CZs. But that only matters if you're going to try to sell it someday. Unless you want to go into an involved explanation of what's involved in growing synthetic diamonds every time you show off your ring, I'd advise either a) using natural ones, or b) just not telling people the whole truth.

I don't see how synthetics would hurt the quality, although that may depend on how you define the term.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the opinion. I talked to my boyfriend about it last night and he said he doesn't like the way it sounds but loves the idea of the blue stones in the setting. He really likes the way the darker blue looks.

Of course, I'm not planning on selling it ever so I guess my question is more a question for insurance purposes--appraisal and replacement value (heaven forbid). If something should happen, I don't want my policy to try replacing them with CZ or Moissanite-does anyone know how that works? How accepted are synthetic/cultured diamonds for insurance purposes? And of course, one day I might want to pass it on as an heirloom, my mother has never handed any jewelry down to us, but when my grandmother fell ill, she gave me a pair of earrings that I had bought her for her birthday and I cherish them. I want to keep that kind of tradition for my future generations.

I'm still not decided but I guess I have time to think about it and take in some more opinions since they don't seem available for purchase just yet. I emailed BTD but have not received a reply.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
If something should happen, I don't want my policy to try replacing them with CZ or Moissanite-does anyone know how that works? How accepted are synthetic/cultured diamonds for insurance purposes?
----------------

That's a very good question, and one, unfortunately, that I don't have a good answer for. Gem-quality synthetic diamonds are so new to the trade that I doubt anyone has filed a claim on one yet. The thing to do is just discuss it with your agent and see what he or she says. Also, as someone else said in the State Farm thread, the more documentation you get, the better. Adjusters thrive on paperwork--they don't like going out on a limb on anything. The more paper you have to back up your claim, the better off you'll be. So be sure you get a grading report from a reputable lab on the diamonds, and an independent appraisal of the finished ring--then put both in a safe place.

----------------
And of course, one day I might want to pass it on as an heirloom, my mother has never handed any jewelry down to us, but when my grandmother fell ill, she gave me a pair of earrings that I had bought her for her birthday and I cherish them. I want to keep that kind of tradition for my future generations.
----------------

This is something you'll have to decide for yourself, but I can share an experience of my own. My wife owns a very nice diamond and emerald ring that she got from her grandmother, who passed away years ago. The emerald in the center is a very clear, intensely dark green stone. My wife was very close to her grandmother, and she treasures the ring so greatly that she never even wears it. She even had me put specific language in her will specifying that it will go to her younger sister.

All and good and well--but after I got my GG a while back, I couldn't resist grading all of my wife's jewelry just to amuse myself. I got to this ring, and when I began examining the emerald under my loupe, something didn't look right. I studied it some more, and some more, not wanting to believe what I was seeing, but I finally came to the conclusion that it was synthetic. Synthetic emeralds are not hard to ID if you know what you're looking at, and this one had a big, unmistakable cloud of flux (remnants of the synethesis process) in one corner. Between that, the top-grade color and almost complete lack of fractures and other inclusions (extremely rare in a natural emerald), there really wasn't much doubt.

I grappled with telling my wife about this for a few days before deciding that there was no point--she treasures the ring because it was her grandmother's, not because of what it is. I think that when you get to the point of passing your jewelry on to your daughters, grandaughters, nieces, etc., they're not going to much care either.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing.

I guess my only concern at this point is for insurance purposes. I'm sure my children would cherish my jewelry in the same way your wife and I cherish our grandmother's
12.gif
pieces.

cry.gif
I wish I could afford real blue diamonds!
cry.gif

How costly are pinks, I only need two baguettes? My FF likes those too.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
How costly are pinks, I only need two baguettes?
----------------

In general, more costly than blues.
sad.gif
But I'd bet you could find some (relatively) inexpensives ones if you're not that picky.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
When I was on Icestore.com, I thought they seemed less expensive. That's where the FF saw them. Maybe it was the color quality. I like the light colors, are there any other light colored stones I might want to mix with diamonds, that are close in color to pink or blue diamonds?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
With fancy colors, it's all about the color. Fancy light pinks will be less expensive than fancy deep blues. But a fancy vivid pink will normally outprice all equivalent stones except a red.

You might think about sapphires. Light-colored sapphires can be quite inexpensive, but even better colors aren't that pricey in small sizes.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again. You're great.

Beith

Rough_Rock
Sapphire are nice but they are not in the same class as diamond since they lack the beautiful fire. They look fairly nice as center stones but quite dull as side stones.

Natural fancy yellows could complement well as side stones if you like the color.

gemsource

Rough_Rock
blue saphire is kinda pale in brilliance but ive seen some really lively yellows and pinks,and some really awesome small tanzinites.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Gemsource,

Pinks comparable to diamonds?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know that too many people would confuse pink sapphires with pink diamonds. But indeed I've seen a lot of pretty, brilliant pink sapphires.

However, I'm not sure this is the best time to be buying pink sapphires because of the diffusion controversy. I saw a lot of them in Tucson, and they were not moving at all.

jstar

Rough_Rock
Lanee, I was just poking around and I happened to see your posting about looking for a less-expensive alternative to pink diamonds - so I just registered so that I'd be able to write to you. My girlfriend and I looked at pink sapphires today - they looked nice, but didn't have the sparkle that diamonds (even yellow colored ones that we saw) had .... so I wonder if you found any alternative that was suitable and looked better than sapphire? (Also, did you notice that all the sapphire cuts were oval?) I figured youve gone through the same issue - so any direction or help would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. -Josh - ALSO, I guess I should say that the paler the color, I think the more authentic looking - and I'd be interested in a synthetic or simulation if it was sparkly and convincing.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 6/14/2003 2:21:17 PM jstar wrote:

Lanee, I was just poking around and I happened to see your posting about looking for a less-expensive alternative to pink diamonds - so I just registered so that I'd be able to write to you. My girlfriend and I looked at pink sapphires today - they looked nice, but didn't have the sparkle that diamonds (even yellow colored ones that we saw) had .... so I wonder if you found any alternative that was suitable and looked better than sapphire? (Also, did you notice that all the sapphire cuts were oval?) I figured youve gone through the same issue - so any direction or help would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. -Josh - ALSO, I guess I should say that the paler the color, I think the more authentic looking - and I'd be interested in a synthetic or simulation if it was sparkly and convincing.----------------

Hello Jstar-

To answer one of your initial questions diamonds have a very high Refractive index. Higher than sapphire and many other gems. It makes the stone look more brilliant. Refraction is the bouncing around of light from the greater part of the light ray which hits the gemstone and passes into the stone. As it enters the denser medium of the gem, the light bends and the amount of bending or light refraction produces a measurable index (refractive index), which is often used to help identify a gems. That is one of the reasons diamonds look much more sparkly than other gems including sapphires.

To answer your question about an alternative available. In lab created gems a gem is produced by a rapid growth process which speeds up nature long process which takes place below the earths surface. Lab created gems such as sapphire are chemically of the same make up and are the same substance but 1 was picked out of the ground and the other was created in the lab. There is an interesting site which talks and markets the prouct, I believe its under
www.ramaura.com. There top gem brilliant lab ruby goes for $600.00 per carat.

You also noted that you recongnize that most sapphire cuts are oval. I think the majority of the material being marketed and traded is part of a controlled market on exporting rough and most stones from what I read are cut in the region of origin by native cutters. SOme of these cutters are very skilled but most times I seem to have viewed stones they don't particularly look to be in true round form. There is a premium paid for round brilliant gems though.

The paler color of a gemstone is a matter of preference. Price is placed on Origin, Clarity, and most of all color and the intensity and saturation of the stones color. I think you have many options with natural gems including the paler looking sapphires. A good cut will also provide better light return and maximize the eveness of color throughout the stone What kind of budget do you have to work with. I will attach some links for you to click on to get you started:

www.acstones.com/listings/Q-S.html

www.ajsgems.com/blue-sapphire/blue-sapphires-1-to-199-carats.htm

www.thebrazilianconnection.com/sapphirewebpage.html

www.awesomegems.com/sapphire-blue.html#top

www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/Sapphire.htm

www.cherrypicked.com

www.kashmirblue.com/Sapphire/kbsapphire.html

www.qualitygemcutting.com/sapphire.htm

www.steveperrygems.com/gems/ceylon.htm

Take it Easy-
Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska

9.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
My FH and I work opposite schedules so we haven't gotten to go browsing together, this weekend will be our first opportunity and it will be short since we have to be home by 1 pm for him to be on his way to work on-time.

Thanks for the info and it looks like Josh is giving us some ideas to check into. However since I posted this post, I'm just as confused as ever about what I want. Hopefully this weekend helps me make a definite decision.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
my only problem with synthetic diamonds from Takara is the cut...
the most of these diamonds have ONLY good sym/pol... by EGL !

jstar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help. I just learned a little bit about luminari diamonds from Lucentdiamonds.com ... and they told me they enhance a diamond to bring out it's pink color in some stones - I think through HPHT (high pressure, high temperature) But there aren't any retailers around in New York where I could look one - has anyone heard of or seen these? I was told they cost around 8-10k a carat. -Josh

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I just checked out that site. It is so vague and user-unfriendly I don't know I would trust it. Does any one own one of these?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results