shape
carat
color
clarity

Takahashi vs Cees

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hello wise PSers. Can anyone compare these vendors for the following:
1)inventory options for akoya and SS ( as far as selection for different sizes/colors)
2) quality
3) price
I’m looking to purchase 2 pair of studs and 2 bracelets and trying to narrow down between these vendors. I have not contacted them yet. But I hate to waste their time so wanted to see which one I should contact first.
Thank you for all your help

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you narrow down to these two vendors in particular?

I’ve bought from both but I’ll hold my opinion until I understand where you’re coming from better.

You are looking for akoya, white south sea, gold south sea, and no Tahitians?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I’m looking for white SS and akoya. I picked these vendors based on reviews here on PS and because they seem to offer the best price for quality. please correct me if I’m wrong because I’m basing this opinion only from what I have read on this forum. The other running up was Moline.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round akoya: Japan is known for akoya, more than any other part of the world. Anyone who sells nice akoya is sourcing from Japanese suppliers. Me, I’ve had forthright and informative conversations with a few other Asia vendors, specifically General Pearl and Takaramonobr, but I’ve not actually bought from either - just because I’ve always had great experiences with Takahashi and I don’t personally need to try another vendor.

Cees’ specialty is colour. Vivid in-your-face body colour. He prioritizes colour over everything else. So when you buy from Cees you need to understand that his standards for “spherical”, “minimal blemishing”, and “high luster” may not match yours. If what you were looking for was Tahitians with super saturated bodies, or brightly coloured akoya babies, and you didn’t mind compromising on other quality factors to maintain a pricepoint, IMO that’s an optimal Cees/client fit.

But… WSS isn’t coloured. With WSS it’s everything else - luster, overtone, blemishing - that matters. So for WSS, between those two vendors, Takahashi, no question.

However. If you’re based in the US I would say first see what WSS Pearl Paradise has available. They have a very generous return policy so you lose nothing by asking and potentially seeing promising options in-person, and if they’ve got what you’d like then it’s by far the easiest transaction.

I also recommend Katbran (Pearlzaustralia on IG). She’s in Australia, which is where the best WSS come from. And she’ll ship internationally (check with her to make sure if you aren’t US based though). The thing I’ve found, with her, is that she can and will judge pearls according to your standards, once she knows what your standards are. Like Takahashi. I’d happily buy more south seas from her!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results