shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian/South Sea Pearl in a ring? Too fragile?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all-
I am considering a Tahitian/South Sea pearl in a ring. How fragile are they? Meaning if I wear it and it knocks into something will it crack or chip? Thanks.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I only have one pearl ring, Tahitian. From experience, I try to not knock it around much. I guess whether it cracks or chips depends on how hard you hit it. If it's set too high, it's more prone to be bumping to other stuffs. Mine has been scratched to the door frame when I was locking the door (right-handed person and lock is on right side of door, ring was on index finger), but I found no scratch.

Personally, if you are anything like me (clumsy) I wouldn't do it. Or... wear with limited use. I really want a pearl ring but with hand washing (always taking the ring off?) and trying not to knock a larger pearl (you might be able to find a ncie 8mm tahitian though but south sea with be a bit larger..) I can't justify it. I suppose if you buy the ring knowing the pearl won't last forever and you will probably have to replace it after a lot of use.... ???

What do you have in mind for a ring??

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with what bean said.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
i don't know, I think if you like it, you should go for it.

Just don't wear it gardening.

I think it would require a pretty hard knock to crack it, but it may scratch.

There's a lady over in colored gemstones, with a sphene ring (just those 2 words together make my hair stand on end) and she's had it for years and it's fine. Sphene is very delicate and will cleave right in two if it hit at the right angle. Faceters don't even like sphene, and they are a bold bunch.

So, make it your "going out to eat" ring, and you'll be fine.

I don't think the gemstone statement really matters with this case... Pearls will wear away with your own body oils!! They are very fragile even without knocking it around... then consider everything you CAN get or just get on your hands on a daily basis.

I looked up sphene and it's about a 5-5.5 on the Mohs scale... A pearl is a 2-2.5

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but just be careful and cautious with it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1289365844|2759780 said:
I don't think the gemstone statement really matters with this case... Pearls will wear away with your own body oils!! They are very fragile even without knocking it around... then consider everything you CAN get or just get on your hands on a daily basis.

I looked up sphene and it's about a 5-5.5 on the Mohs scale... A pearl is a 2-2.5

Mohs only measures scratching, and yes a pearl will scratch easier than a sphene. But a sphene (and some other stones with relatively high Mohs) will break or cleave when struck or dropped. Even a sapphire, second only to a diamond on the Mohs scale, will break when dropped.

iLander|1289389437|2759890 said:

Mohs only measures scratching, and yes a pearl will scratch easier than a sphene. But a sphene (and some other stones with relatively high Mohs) will break or cleave when struck or dropped. Even a sapphire, second only to a diamond on the Mohs scale, will break when dropped.

Noted- but having scratches all over a pearl take away from the luster and overall look of the piece.. So while it may not snap in two, the deep scratches that will and can happen are inevitable if not babied and worn infrequently. It's not even the same as gouging a stone- pearls cannot have their scratches polished out.

But anyway.. I don't think this really has anything to do with sphenes breaking though.. So moot point.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would not wear it everyday. And if you are concern about having something that doesn't last as long as diamond ring, then get a smaller pearl to keep the cost down to justify its life. You'll be surprised how hardy pearls can be despite its Moh's hardness. I don't know how many times I've dropped my earrings, strands on tile floor.

The ring I mentioned earlier, I just remember another incident when I first had it. I wore it to a rustic cabin, the type that has wood frame bed. They dunked a big bag of blankets and sheets at the front door and you have to make the bed yourself. I put the sheets on and scratched my ring to the frame when I was tucking the sheets, but nothing happened. I wear it to work every once in a while. When I wash my hands, I don't take it off fearing I would drop it down the sink, just apply soap (remember public restrooms' soap probably have harsh hand soap anyway) on your hands but not on the pearl. I am careful when I apply lotion on my hands too.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1289397540|2759956 said:
iLander|1289389437|2759890 said:

Noted- but having scratches all over a pearl take away from the luster and overall look of the piece.. So while it may not snap in two, the deep scratches that will and can happen are inevitable if not babied and worn infrequently. It's not even the same as gouging a stone- pearls cannot have their scratches polished out.

But anyway.. I don't think this really has anything to do with sphenes breaking though.. So moot point.

I used the sphene ring as an example of a woman that wore and enjoyed what others consider to be a fragile ring. I know I'm in pearls and not in CS, thank you.

I know it will scratch. That's why I called it the "going out to dinner ring".

Overall, I was trying to find a way to be encouraging, as I always do.

BTW: I've never heard of pearls "wearing away with body oils". What?

Depending on your PH level, I believe, and if you don't wipe the pearls down the acid from your "body oils" it will dull the luster over time and wear away at it. I've seen a few examples at the other forum.

I suppose spending 2k on a ring isn't a big deal if it eventually wears away over time, but for me it's one of those.. it could (and would) probably happen a week after getting the ring... as in I'd demolish it with a single blow to a door frame or the car (I managed a tiny scratch on the car last week with my diamond.. imagine a pearl!)

I think diadiva has a lot of pearl rings though, so I'm curious how she takes care of hers. I don't own any, though I'd love to. :sun: Pendants, necklaces and earrings are what I like! I'm even nervous to wear pearl bracelets too much too.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1289434757|2760522 said:
Depending on your PH level, I believe, and if you don't wipe the pearls down the acid from your "body oils" it will dull the luster over time and wear away at it. I've seen a few examples at the other forum.

That's true. However, when set in a ring, I think the pearl doesn't touch the skin so we don't have to worry about body oil.

For not too acidic skin, unless it's thin akoya, your pearls probably would last a lifetime, maybe more. As long as you clean it after taking it off to store away. Last on, first off is the rule. Wait 30 minutes after applying lotion, perfume before putting on your pearls. Do not let pearls get in direct contact with harsh chemical, perfume, lotion, etc.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have my MIL's pearls from the 1940's- it shocks me that this is 70 years ago!- and I can guarantee they were never treated with any caution or delicacy. They all look pretty good. So, I think it's true that pearls, OVERALL, are pretty sturdy and will last a lifetime. I'm not saying that you mistreat them, I'm just saying don't be afraid to wear them either.

I think if you are the type of person that would notice a tiny scratch on your car, then you would probably notice a scratch on your ring. ESPECIALLY if it's an expensive, stunning Tahitian that you really love, a scratch would stick out to you. So no, don't make it a ring.

Make it a pendant, maybe one of those slide necklaces so that you can pull it down and look at it for a short while, then reposition it.

If you are the kind of person that likes the overall color and style of a pearl ring, you don't spend a lot of money on it, and you wear it with some care, then go for it.

Actually, I think we all just said that . . . :D

Have you considered a baroque pearl or a ringed pearl? Maybe the scratches would blend in with that? Just trying to come up with ideas. I always hate to say "don't do it".

I like fancy jewelry for once-in-a-while, but not for everyday. Then it's all rubies and diamonds, because they can take it. If I were to get a pearl ring, I would SPEND on the mounting, and SAVE on the pearl and figure I would change it out in 10 years.

(We're getting bored over here in pearls, we're all repeating the same advice) :rolleyes:

For rings I understand they won't be touching body oils but that is what I mean with hand washing and stuff. But these are reasons I don't get a ring but certainly don't have to apply to anyone else.

I have also seen older pearls and as long as they are taken care of they look "ok". Now if someone never cleans them, is a smoker and perfume wearer.. Ewwww they end up covered in muck and will never look the same again.

iLander I hope you know it's also a crime against the pearl subforum if you don't post ALL precious pearls... New.. Old... :bigsmile:
Can we see the MIL pearls? And any others? I know I have several I should take pictures of too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results