shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian Black Pearls!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I guess they are a colored stone...so here they are. In Tahiti, black pearls are all the rage...they eschew things like diamonds (one gal told me they are too common!) for these beautiful dark dark spheres.

I'm not one to buy into 'hype', esp when I figured they were probably accompanied by a huge markup...but we were at a local tiki village show and they had a store so I saw them for the first time there. Hadn't even gone into the store are OUR hotel....what do I need with black pearls? I save my money for DIAMONDS!
1.gif

The gal was really sweet and trying hard. She gave me the history of the pearl and also told me how they grew them. I told her I love diamonds and showed her my bling. She said it was pretty. I wandered away after looking half-heartedly at some pearls, they were beautiful. I wasn't that jazzed about buying something I considered man-made for too much money. But...they sure were pretty.
1.gif

During the show, I was telling Greg about the pearls and how they were actually very beautiful with great lustre, and he said when we got back home I should look into buying one online. Online? We're IN Tahiti! I dont want to buy them online. I had seen some cheaper ones that were still lovely (the pricing and grading structure does not mean that a class C pearl is not going to be visually as appealing as an A....) so I thought about getting one for a necklace. Then I thought..realistically would I ever wear that? So I thought about maybe two loose pearls to have set into earrings here back home. Gold is prohibitively expensive there, so the pearl may be $300 of a $500 necklace.

I went back in and the girl spotted me right off. I smiled at her and she floated over. 20 minutes later and with Greg's approval, I had selected a set of lovely 'celadon' 8mm black pearls (they are dark gray with a tinge of green), one is class A and one is class C (A means the surface is less than 30% blemished (tiny tiny inclusions); and C means that the surface is less than 60% blemished (again, tiny inclusions, not even really visible). They both look lovely...have a great lustre. I want to do something fun with them, like eurowire dangling earrings. They weren't that pricey and now I have something of jewelry to remember our honeymoon by!
1.gif
Greg congratulated the salesgirl and told her she did a great job in converting a diamond lover over to owning a pair of black pearls!

Here are pictures...by the way they are NOT as green as pictured here...the light can really make them change into various colors..in reality the color is more very dark gray, with a tinge of green.

black pearls.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

black pearl1.jpg

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Welcome back Mara!
wavey.gif
They are beautiful. What a nice reminder of your honeymoon. Look forward to seeing them set soon! Take care.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the danglewire earrings are a great idea! They will be so pretty and such a beautiful reminder of your time in Tahiti.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, great! Are those drilled?

I find buying pearls online impractical - it is impossible to see either their color or orient or surface details
sad.gif
It would be impossible to match different grades as you did. Good for you !

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heh Val...I can't take credit for matching them, they came pre-matched. The pictures don't show that there is actually a very slight color differentiation between the two, it will be unnoticeable when they are on ears. One is only very slightly darker grey.

They are not drilled but the gal noted that finding someone who would be able to drill should not be too tedious here in the US? Do you know anything about it?

I have seen some intriguing designs online so far...thing is I have not yet decided if I want something very simple and classic so that I can use for more frequent use (e.g. dangling on thin white gold eurowire leverbacks) since I'm pretty much a jeans and gal; or something that is more dressy and therefore more infrequently used but possibly more eye-catching (e.g. something with diamonds, dangles etc). Or possibly something that straddles both casual and incredibly formal but still low-key? Tough decision! I'm glad I have the time to figure it out.
2.gif
Not in a huge rush to get something made out of them...it will be a fun project.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So far this is the leading contender for what I like...but am seeing the filigree cap as diamond pave...I'm thinking that could be dressy but also work well with something less formal? I don't know...thoughts? The color of these in the picture is actually very close to what mine look like. Far cry from the pale green in the pix I shot. The wonders of natural lighting?

black pearl filigree 2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the other option I have seen so far that I like...kind of basic and plain but think the dangles give it a bit of OOMPH?
rolleyes.gif
In white gold though.

black pearl leverback.jpg

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
You, a "sophisticated" woman need Greg's approval to buy a cheap, lousy pearl? Give me a break!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/6/2004 3:07:57 PM whitediamonds wrote:

You, a 'sophisticated' woman need Greg's approval to buy a cheap, lousy pearl? Give me a break! ----------------

No, sounds like Mara meant Greg agreed that the pair of pearls she picked out were pretty, not that he approved of her making such a purchase.

Mara, pretty pearls! The filigree setting looks beautiful and more balanced, so my vote is for that pair.

Michelle

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Both designs are pretty, but I like the extra "oophm" of the filigree design. I'm not a pearl fan, but the dark tahitian pearls are beautiful and elegant.

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask ballpark how much they cost?

They're definitely gorgeous. I like the setting you're considering.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks gals...I do like the filigree setting as well.
2.gif
It seems to bridge the gap well between casual and elegant.

The pearls were relatively inexpensive, a few hundred dollars. The one thing they noted which I figured anyhow was to buy them loose was much cheaper as items such as gold etc in Tahiti carry extreme markups. So you could end up buying a pearl necklace with one solitaire pearl and some gold and it could be about $600! Better to buy the pearls separately and have something fun made out of them.
1.gif

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/26/2004 2:14:01 PM Mara wrote:

8mm black pearls (they are dark gray with a tinge of green), one is class A and one is class C (A means the surface is less than 30% blemished (tiny tiny inclusions); and C means that the surface is less than 60% blemished (again, tiny inclusions, not even really visible).
----------------

Actually, your Class A pearl is better than that! Class A pearls have a 10% or less blemish on the nacre. and the Class B have the 30% or less and the Class C have the 60% or less blemish. Also, if you are intereseted, your greyish/green tinge pearls are commonly called "Pistachio Pearls." If it was greenish black, they would be called "Peacock Pearls"

Enjoy, they look lovely!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How lovely, Mara. I, too, prefer the filigree. The others are just...blah.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Holly...!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I like the second pair...the pearls are so pretty, you don't really need much more adornement. Really lovely!
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I like the idea of the filigree with pave'. Sounds yummy! Not really loving that second pair, but the first pair is very pretty. (Still thinking pave' on the filigree...hmm)
love.gif

Shay

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Idea: Take each pearl and encircle it with WF ACA melee! Hmmm, about 10 pts each, with white gold or platinum omega backs.
9.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m really into pearls lately and those are very pretty. I agree that the filagree setting would look really pretty.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my Tahitian Pearl. I definitely had in mind what I was looking for and must have visited at least 20 different shops in Papeete to find it. It is 11 mm, class A, high lustre, Peacock color (green/pink overtones), and teardrop shape (knew that I wanted it mounted in a pendant and also didn't want to pay the premium for rounds).

Sorry that the picture has websailor's reflection in it.

My favorite website on the subject can be found here. I also brushed up by reviewing a CD that I had by the Cultured Pearl Training Institute before we went to Tahiti last year.

Tahitian Pearl P1030105.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didn''t realize this got bumped!! cflutist, your pearl is lovely!

I am soo ashamed to say I have done nothing with my honeymoon pearls yet!! Greg asks about them sometimes, but I never really found a setting I LOVED so I figured I''d just keep them until I saw something.

Maybe I can look for something that incorporates round drop diamonds with the pearls. Or that filigree lace cap in that one image. Chances are I would wear these when I wanted to be more dressy...since I don''t ''switch out'' earrings that often in my daily wear...hmm.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh cflutist,
That is one of the nicest Tahitian black pearls I have seen, it is sheer perfection!!!!
36.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, well thanks for the compliment, but, I would not call it sheer perfection. The pearl would have been more valuable if it had been perfectly round (kinda like RBs over Pears). However, I thought a teardrop shape would look better in a pendant than a round.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, maybe the shape is a little off, but the nackar, and overall color is amazing. It''s perfection in my book and I spent many a morning laying out the Mikimoto pearls in the jewelry store I worked at and am still in awe of their beauty!!! Did I spell nacker right?? You know what I mean!!
3.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, I think you mean nacre (or outer skin) which is judged by its thickness and quality. The thicker the nacre, the longer the life of the pearl. Tahitian pearls must have a minimum of .8mm nacre thichness (1.0mm or more is desired). Nacre quality determines how the light travels through the layers.

In a nutshell Tahitian Pearls are greaded on a number of factors:

- size (the larger, the more rare/costly) normally ranges from 8 - 14 mm.
- orient (iridescent colors)
- luster (shine) or light refections from the surface
- color (peacocks are the rarest and most costly)
- shape (perfectly round pearls are most costly)
- surface (spotting) - blemishes

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks cflutist,
I just forgot how to spell it!! Your tutorial was very helpful to me and I''m sure many others!!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2005 9:30:20 PM
Author: Mara

I have done nothing with my honeymoon pearls yet!! Greg asks about them sometimes....
This is a taugh one. Do you think the pearls could become detacheable drops for your diamond studs ? It is one kind of very classic treatment for pearls after all
2.gif

All that's needed for the hanging is a discrete peg and a bit of chain between the diamond and the pearl, but diamond paved connectors (link) and caps (link) are out there as well. I didn't look throughout the entire catalog there - other models might surface as well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love black pearls....white is so boring. and to think of them in combination as drops from diamond studs....well, words escape me. would be lovely indeed!

peace, movie zombie

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Glad this thread got bumped. I love your Tahitian pearls ladies. I would love to own some one day! Ahh, another jewelry goal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results