shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori Setting w/ Online Diamond?

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Hi all, newbie here but have been reading this board non-stop for the last week or so. Great information and thanks to all of your for sharing your wonderful knowledge with all of us. A truly great service!

So been looking off and on a eRing and for me if I''m going to spend so much money wanted to make sure she''d enjoyed it so we''ve been visiting various B&M together to get an idea of what she likes (after all she''s the one that will be wearing it all the time :) ).

We ended up checking Robin Bors (figure wide selection and at least start narrowing down the selection). She ended up liking three stones cathedral settings and ended up falling in love with a Tacori setting. She''s actually not a girl that cares much for brand names or status but she picked out what she finds "pretty" and it happened to be a Tacori setting.

Good thing is she has good taste, and I guess bad thin it''s also happens to be expensive taste too :). The setting she ended up choosing is HT2326SM.5 which doing some research here is also a design that other PS folks have picked, however this is the "petite" version (her finger is 3.5-4.0 -- different jewelers are giving us different numbers -- so something I''ll have to figure out later ) and she only wants 1/2 way on the scallops. Petite size limits the center stone to be at most 1.10ct (6.70mm) so that at least gives me an upper bound on the size so I can concentrate on the maximizing rest of the diamond. Also the petite size is also cheaper.

Given the premium on Tacori wanted to see what other "alternatives" there were so we headed down to the jewelry district in LA where we''re at. I actually used Yelp to help pick which shops to go to (before I discovered PS) which happen to be the ones people also mentioned here in PS :)... so good to know I''m in the right ballpark.

At any rate, we looked at three places and didn''t find anything that was too similar that she liked. We did find a setting that she found "acceptable" but definitely not the same feel. One shop offered to make a custom "copy" that is similar but then I wouldn''t feel right giving a "knock off" of a setting she really loved.

Doing more research here, I did feel that the folks that bought Tacori were very passionate and pleased with their rings opposed to other designer rings like Tiffany''s where people more strongly felt there were much better alternatives out there. In the case of Tacori seemed they held their own as being truly unique.

I know if I went non-Tacori I could save money and get a nicer rock, but the heart wants what it wants right?

That being the case, I''m looking to where else I can maximize the remaining budget and appreciate any input.

From what I understand designer rings and in this case Tacori have set prices like how Apple controls their prices so don''t expect much price differences between vendors.

The closest dealer is Robins Bros which gets mixed reviews. My plan is to buy the diamond online and looking at the H&A lines at the following vendors: WF, BDG, HPD, and GOG. Then get Robins Bros to do the setting. Any concerns with this approach?

GOG I found is also a Tacori dealer so will probably also get a quote. I hear it is better to get the setting & stone together if possible from the same vendor to make things easier. However found poking around the GOG site very clunky and so 2000 compared to the other web vendors with much slicker sites. Although I did find GOG got glowing reviews otherwise.

I kind of like the idea of a local jewelry although not too keen that it''s Robin Bros (I think there''s additional charges if you bring in your own diamond -- but think that''s standard with most B&M).

As diamonds goes I kind of like WF and BDG but think all things equal it will be availability and price.

So wondering:
1) Experience of others that have gotten Tacori settings w/ Robbin Bros w/ your own loose online diamond
2) B&M (Robbins Bros -- although I''m trying to locate another Tacori vendor) vs GOG doing the whole thing
3) The feeling I get is once I determine where I want to get the stone from will determine #2. GOG didn''t seem to really have much inventory but maybe not all of it is online (looking for RB, 1.10ct, min H, min VS2, AGS ideal, or GIA excellent, H&A - min specs driven so the center stone is at least equal to or better than the side stones :) )

TIA!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
aah I gave a lengthy reply and there was some error and it erased it :(

anyway, if your GF likes the Tacori, I would go with that, don''t try to get it replicated since the setting you chose has so much intricate detail

this is it, right?

setting

Robbins Bros will be able to set a diamond from elsewhere, but they will charge you a small fee (maybe $100?)

Or, you could call GOG and see if they can get you a quote on the setting, and also see if they can get some stones in that meet your specs.

BGD has a lot of G-H VS1-SI1 ~1 ct diamonds in inventory...not sure of your budget but have you considered eye-clean SI1? I know you have a max size but not sure of the budget, so SI1 might be more budget-friendly...

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Yeah hate when that happens, I learned to always copy the text before submitting just in case so if it doesn't go through won't have to remember what I all said
1.gif

Yup that is the one, I did find a local jeweler that would do something similar channel set and pave on the side but would be roughly $3.2K (plt) and the Tacori would be $5.7K (plt) so as lifetime investment don't think that difference is too material.

Waiting on quotes on the setting so who knows maybe there might be some pricing flexibility.

So now on time the diamond... given I'm paying nearly $5.7K for setting would feel strange to actually pay less for the center piece
1.gif
... I budgeted up to 10K for the stone, looking online PS price comparison it seems doable range to get some real quality diamonds.

Since the setting has a side stones, which according to the site has a min of H and min VS2, I think I want to keep the clarity at VS2 and try to max out the ct (max it to 1.10ct, the limit for that setting) and get as near-colorless as possible. I already decided on super-ideal cut with H&A, maybe a novelty but know she would like that as not everyone's diamond can boost that quality. She wants sparkle, sparkle, sparkle which is why I'm gravitating to the branded H&A as I know they will jump out and don't need to hunt around so much (although that could be fun too).

Yeah I know I can save a little with SI1, but then will need to make sure it's "eye clean" as additional hassle, plus it would bug me that someone "could" see that flaw.

This is the first time making such a large purchase on-line but I have purchased some stuff off Blue Nile that were "above average" diamond studs and pendants but for this want to make sure I get real nice quality with either a BGD signature or WF ACA.

I really wanted HOF but found them super expensive and then found PS and discovered other equally good H&A vendors out there. Thanks PS!

Still new to all this, so think I want to actually go see more diamonds to really see the difference in person (like going above H really make a difference? And comparing various cuts to get a feel of what a super-ideal H&A looks like vs a very good cut). The feeling I get is above VS1 is overkill and only matters if I want a "pure" diamond whereas in color everyone can see it (of course cut too but already making the range 1.00 to 1.10 to get the max out of the setting). I'm contemplating getting an IS as the last time I went all the diamonds "looked good" to me - typical newbie I guess
3.gif

With these vendors: BGD, WF, GOG, JA, HPD they all seem to have very high customer service and reviews here so is it necessary to actually get an independent appraisal during the selection process (I'll definitely do one after the setting for insurance)? They seem all pretty trustworthy and have all the stats on-line so seems a little overkill to me.

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2010 6:01:11 AM
Author: PenguinIce
Yeah hate when that happens, I learned to always copy the text before submitting just in case so if it doesn''t go through won''t have to remember what I all said
1.gif

Yup that is the one, I did find a local jeweler that would do something similar channel set and pave on the side but would be roughly $3.2K (plt) and the Tacori would be $5.7K (plt) so as lifetime investment don''t think that difference is too material.

Waiting on quotes on the setting so who knows maybe there might be some pricing flexibility.

So now on time the diamond... given I''m paying nearly $5.7K for setting would feel strange to actually pay less for the center piece
1.gif
... I budgeted up to 10K for the stone, looking online PS price comparison it seems doable range to get some real quality diamonds.

Since the setting has a side stones, which according to the site has a min of H and min VS2, I think I want to keep the clarity at VS2 and try to max out the ct (max it to 1.10ct, the limit for that setting) and get as near-colorless as possible. I already decided on super-ideal cut with H&A, maybe a novelty but know she would like that as not everyone''s diamond can boost that quality. She wants sparkle, sparkle, sparkle which is why I''m gravitating to the branded H&A as I know they will jump out and don''t need to hunt around so much (although that could be fun too).

Yeah I know I can save a little with SI1, but then will need to make sure it''s ''eye clean'' as additional hassle, plus it would bug me that someone ''could'' see that flaw.

This is the first time making such a large purchase on-line but I have purchased some stuff off Blue Nile that were ''above average'' diamond studs and pendants but for this want to make sure I get real nice quality with either a BGD signature or WF ACA.

I really wanted HOF but found them super expensive and then found PS and discovered other equally good H&A vendors out there. Thanks PS!

Still new to all this, so think I want to actually go see more diamonds to really see the difference in person (like going above H really make a difference? And comparing various cuts to get a feel of what a super-ideal H&A looks like vs a very good cut). The feeling I get is above VS1 is overkill and only matters if I want a ''pure'' diamond whereas in color everyone can see it (of course cut too but already making the range 1.00 to 1.10 to get the max out of the setting). I''m contemplating getting an IS as the last time I went all the diamonds ''looked good'' to me - typical newbie I guess
3.gif

With these vendors: BGD, WF, GOG, JA, HPD they all seem to have very high customer service and reviews here so is it necessary to actually get an independent appraisal during the selection process (I''ll definitely do one after the setting for insurance)? They seem all pretty trustworthy and have all the stats on-line so seems a little overkill to me.

Thanks!
My opinion...No, dont need it. Afterwards yes, for insurance purposes. All these vendors are respected and trustworthy vendors.
If you want you can do some searchs and see that they do a lot of business with PS folks and if they did anything unethical we would
be the first to holler about it on this website. No need to worry.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some, very rare, VS2 might still not be eye-clean. So no harm asking if a stone is eye-clean to double check.

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info!

So starting to shop online although will probably go to some B&Ms just to compare...

What are people''s thoughts on size (okay yes it matter
1.gif
) but would a 10 pt different of say 1.0ct vs 1.10ct significant? The setting max out at 1.1ct technically 6.70mm but do know that they custom hit the ring to the rock so probably some wiggle room give or take.

I like to place as big as a rock as I can in the setting, but I''m finding not the right color and clarity combo I like to keep in my budget area.

I was looking at the following:
1.108 ct F VS1 Expert Selection
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2231230.htm

1.01 ct D VS2 Expert Selection
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-1508738.htm

So the real question is 1.108 vs 1.01 is more a significant difference than the color difference of a D and a F?
Clarity I am okay with going as far down as SI1, but right now don''t really see too many of those at this quality cut level.

I also found this one:
1.108 ct E VS1 Whiteflash ACA
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2308996.htm

Hmmmm.... kind of strange the PriceScope Cut Search shows the first two as ACA also but once I go in there are just Expert Selection.... guess that would explain the price difference w/ the last one. I like to stick with H&A so need to narrow to ACA only and look at other vendors.... but wanted to get people''s feeling on the size and color differences and if they are significant or not.

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you really color sensitive? D/E/F is pretty high in color. A lot of PS folks buy in the G/H range (unless really color sensitive).
A G should help your budget. Do you have a jareds near by? You could stop in and check out their Peerless line for colors.

Here is a G VS2 1.1 for $8.1k which should be an outstanding diamond.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104044686134

A 1.09 G vs2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104044686133

In all reality I dont think that size difference will be noticable unless you have 2 side by side.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2231236.htm
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040397620001

EDIT - that D 1.01 is a tad deep (62.7). It should face up at 6.5mm but is showing 6.36x6.43. Not
a major difference but you are going even smaller than what a well cut 1 carat should be.

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Thanks, how did you calculate the ideal measurement for the 1.0ct? Is there chart for each ct?

I remember this being mentioned in the spread section in the tutorial but only mentioned 1ct but no chart. Interested to know what''s the measurements for a 1.1ct.

Also when browsing in B&Ms if I have an I-S is there any need to pull the numbers and run them thru HCA online via an iPhone?

For those w/o I-S do ppl just memorize what are the ideal numbers is there some cheat sheet? I only see the ags cut guide is that what ppl use?

Thxs!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Penguin, when I did my upgrade, I put a 1.05 ct. Jubilee from GOG into a Tacori platinum set that was in my jewelers case (in other words, no special order). The set is the HT2352 1/2X and the diamond just happened to fit perfectly. I recently got another Tacori white gold setting for my emerald cut sapphire, also sitting in the case just awaiting my stone. This is getting to be an expensive habit!

The jeweler I bought both settings from is Collections Fine Jewelry in Saginaw, TX. Their phone number is 800-779-3207 in case you want to comparison shop. Since you have the style number just tell them you are looking at the petite, 1/2 X version of the ring and will be supplying your own 1 ct. diamond. You can also get the price for the matching band if you are wanting that. I have been very pleased with both my Tacoris, and they do attract a lot of compliments!

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! I''ll give Collections a ring and see what they say, couldn''t find any online site for them to just e-mail them.

What I''m finding is that the Tacori settings are pretty much the same across the board so don''t think there''s much differences besides mainly saving on sales tax or any PS discount, which actually is still not too bad.

Sounds like you got your diamond online via GoG and just had Collections set it. Was there a particular reason you did not just purchase the setting also @GoG too?

Seems like I have the following options...
1) Get both at the same online vendor: GoG vs Niceice -- haven''t found any other Tacori online PS vendors that ppl recommend
2) Source the diamond from another PS vendor: WF, BGD, HPD and send it to GoG or Niceice to set it (talking to both GoG and Niceice they said this common and they work regularly with many of their competitors)
3) Buy a diamond online (from one of the above PS vendors) and use a local jeweler

Seems you went with option #3, but I think the important part is having a good local jeweler available. In my case it''s Robbins Bros which doesn''t seem to be a favorite around here so that leaves me with option #1 and option #2.

Thanks!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2010 6:51:44 PM
Author: PenguinIce
Thanks for the info! I''ll give Collections a ring and see what they say, couldn''t find any online site for them to just e-mail them.

What I''m finding is that the Tacori settings are pretty much the same across the board so don''t think there''s much differences besides mainly saving on sales tax or any PS discount, which actually is still not too bad.

Sounds like you got your diamond online via GoG and just had Collections set it. Was there a particular reason you did not just purchase the setting also @GoG too?

Seems like I have the following options...

1) Get both at the same online vendor: GoG vs Niceice -- haven''t found any other Tacori online PS vendors that ppl recommend

2) Source the diamond from another PS vendor: WF, BGD, HPD and send it to GoG or Niceice to set it (talking to both GoG and Niceice they said this common and they work regularly with many of their competitors)

3) Buy a diamond online (from one of the above PS vendors) and use a local jeweler

Seems you went with option #3, but I think the important part is having a good local jeweler available. In my case it''s Robbins Bros which doesn''t seem to be a favorite around here so that leaves me with option #1 and option #2.

Thanks!
Penguin, I went with #3 because I had learned the hard way about buying a setting without trying it on first. I found that the settings I liked in photos didn''t look good on me in person, and the ones I never would have looked at twice in photos are the ones I liked on. The engagement ring part of the Tacori set I ended up buying was not even shown on their website, so I never would have known about it had it not been sitting in the case.

Collections is about 42 miles from my house, so I only go there maybe twice a year. I use another local jeweler that I trust to clean and repair my stuff. So for me, buying locally was about trying on before buying and setting my stone, rather than long-term maintenance.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think there''s any reason not to try to buy the diamond and setting at the same place. That way you minimize any setting or shipping risks. Both GoG and NiceIce have fine reputations and both can probably help you track down a fine stone within your budget, so I''d go with one of them unless you find doing it the more complicated way saves you a ton of money. (And I do mean a ton. I''m of the mind that it''s not worth the hassle to save even a few hundred dollars when we''re talking about purchases in the thousands of dollars, though if money is tight that''s certainly understandable.)

PenguinIce

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback!

So one theme that I''m picking up on these threads is around cut and consistency. I know GoG has a fine selection, but I keep getting drawn to the argument about cut precision and quality of the branded well-cuts coming out of BGD or HPD w/ Infinity.

Trying to compare apples to apples... I see these selection on what seem to be fine choices all things being more or less equal. So there does seem to be premium with the branding on Infinity (actually larger than I thought) and BGD Signature.

Thoughts? Really much difference across these?

If not it''ll come down to convenience and vendor policy/service.

Thanks!

GoG 1.05ct G VS2 Round Hearts and Arrows - Price: $7,933

HPD 1.05ct G VS2 - Crafted By Infinity - $ 9,077

BGD 1.092ct G VS2 - Signature - $8,275

WF 1.03 ct G VS2 Whiteflash ACA - $$7,707.00

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results