shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori ring setting question

KA

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I have been looking at settings, and our favourite is Tacori design number 462RD6.
http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/462RD6

Our current plan is to get a diamond and then have the local tacori retailer set it for us. However, our local jeweler says that they will order a standard size from tacori and then resize and set it. I talked to an online tacori jeweler and they said that they typically send the diamond to tacori and have tacori construct the ring for them. Should I just go with the local jeweler or is there an advantage to sending it to an online jeweler? The online process will probably take longer, so I was curious if it was worth it.

My other question is, we really like the setting, but I feel guilty about spending 1700 dollars on the setting. Is there another setting that you guys have seen that is similar and cheaper? The main criteria is a very thin and somewhat interesting band and no cathedral. My fiance is adamant about the band being something we like just as much or better, and we haven't seen anything like that yet. He doesn't like the plain band or simple pave set or channel set band. He says that they are too sparkly and not interesting enough.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would insist on having the stone sent to Tacori for setting and ordering it in the proper size. We've seen quite a few unhappy customers here on PS who have had their settings damaged by local jewelers setting the stones.

Why not order your stone from a dealer who sells tacori? For example, Good Old Gold (PS Vendor, great reputation) sells tacori. If you buy both stone and setting from them it is taken care of, they send it to Tacori and you don't have to worry. In addition if you are not in NY you pay no sales tax on either the stone or setting.

I would not go with a local jeweler who is going to resize and set the stone....that is not par for the course for a Tacori setting. Are you sure he doesn't plan to just sell you the stock setting he has in the store?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I agree. I would not let the local jeweler set it or size it. That's a beautiful Tacori ring!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Never seen that JA one before, I like it!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I really like that Tacori setting! I am sure you could find a simple pave band for less $$ but if you want the detailing of the Tacori I would stick with the original. also I would DEFINITELY send it to Tacori to be set...there have been too many horror stories of botched rings from people who did not send to Tacori.

please post pictures of the finished ring!

KA

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advise. I like that JA ring, but my fiance thinks it is too thick and too tall. We are doing a diamond of about 90 points and he thinks that the setting is not tiny enough and will overwhelm the diamond. Since we can't try it in person, I am not sure, but don't want to take a risk in getting something that we may not like as much.

If you guys see something else, please let me know. If I don't see something, I guess we'll go with the tacori. It is the one we have liked best so far. And I'll definitely post pictures.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Did you try on the ring? Tacoris have a reputation for looking different once you try them on. A lot of people still like them but a few have found they don't like the Tacoris so much when they try them on.

KA

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I did try that one on, and that is the one we liked best among the rings we tried on. I didn't like the other more elaborate tacoris but this one has just enough detail to be interesting. In addition, it is delicate looking and has no cathedral, which we really like. Unfortunately, having to get a diamond and then get it set will take a while, and we want to get this done as soon as possible. In addition, it is expensive. So I don't know, I am still looking for something that is cheaper and faster, but we like it just as much. I don't know if that is possible.

KA

Shiny_Rock
It looks like I am going to end up getting the Tacori ring, and none of the local jewelers who have tacori seem trustworthy to me. I think they are going to try to do the setting themselves. So, my question is, can I send my diamond directly to tacori to be set, or do I have to send it to one of the online people who carry tacori, and then they have to place the order with Tacori. I think it might be the latter from everything I've read, but I just wanted to make sure.

thomps000

Rough_Rock
I'm having the same problem where the dealer wants to set the ring. Hopefully you have good luck and get Tacori to set it and warranty it. Good luck!

KA

Shiny_Rock
Do most of you have white gold or platinum for your rings? The ring is 1720 in white gold and 2400 in platinum, which seems excessive to me. But some people apparently have problems with white gold plating coming off. What do you recommend? Since the ring is so expensive, I want to make the right decision and not have to change later.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends. Do you have any skin allergies? WG can result in a allergic reaction to some. If you are going with a local vendor and getting them to send it to Tacori, they should honor the plating service?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
KA|1311072258|2972071 said:
It looks like I am going to end up getting the Tacori ring, and none of the local jewelers who have tacori seem trustworthy to me. I think they are going to try to do the setting themselves. So, my question is, can I send my diamond directly to tacori to be set, or do I have to send it to one of the online people who carry tacori, and then they have to place the order with Tacori. I think it might be the latter from everything I've read, but I just wanted to make sure.

Please be sure to find a vendor who you are comfortable with and do trust. I'm pretty sure you have to go through a retailer and cannot deal with tacori directly. I'd see about purchasing the setting from Goodoldgold even if you didn't buy the diamond from them. You can ship your stone to them and let them handle it from there. I personally like platinum but there are pros and cons to both metals.

KA

Shiny_Rock
I talked to both GOG and solomon brothers, they are both Tacori vendors. It turns out that with GOG, I have to insure the diamond before I send it to them. I mean, I plan to insure it for the mail, but it looks like I would have to insure it against any damage during the setting etc, since they do not have insurance for stones that are not theirs. The solomon brother's rep told me that I don't have to do it, since once the stone gets there it is their responsibility.

While I plan to insure the ring once it is made, it is kind of a hassle and time consuming to get it appraised, insure it first, then send it to GOG, get the ring back, get it appraised again, and update the insurance. We would like to get the ring as soon as possible, and this seems to add unnecessary delay. Do you guys have any bad news about solomon brothers? Is it standard to have to insure the stone before getting it set, and the solomon brothers people are just giving me wrong information?

I don't trust either of my local tacori dealers to send the ring to tacori. I think they will try to sell me their in stock ring, which I do not want. So I am definitely sending it off somewhere. I just need some advise about the insurance stuff.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jewelers Mutual will insure a loose stone that is going to be set and I think you only need a copy of the receipt, not a full appraisal. I understand GOG's policy and this is the case for many jewelers. Some designers do carry their own insurance but Tacori may not be one of them. I do know Pearlmans will cover a stone if it's going to one of their designers (they don't carry Tacori) even if you didn't buy it from them so the fact that Soloman Brothers is offering this isn't suspect although it isn't the norm. There have been good review here about them. I have never worked with them though so i can't give you a first hand account. If it's not too much trouble I'd prefer to go with GOG just because of Jon's involvement on this forum as GOG's reputation here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results