shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori Ring Damaged by Jeweler, is this OK?

MockingbirdWontSing

Rough_Rock
I bought a 3-stone, platinum, Tacori engagement ring (2571RD7) this week, and the prongs appear visibly damaged. Is this to be expected?

The outside of the prongs show easily visible tool marks, and the inside of the prongs look melted. One of the prongs even looks like there is metal missing, and it's not even touching the bottom of the diamond! On top of that, the shank is lightly scratched all over, which means they didn't polish it before handing it over to me.

I spent $5,500 on the mount, plus a nice center stone. It's the largest single purchase I've ever made in my life and they can't take time to polish it? I'm so mad. Am I justified?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Tacori Band Damaged by Jeweler, is this OK?

We try to tell people when they buy Tacori, they should always have the diamond sent to Tacori to set. You'd be surprised at how often we see jewelers messing up Tacori settings. It's almost always best to have the designer set the stone when it is a handmade designer setting.

But yes, I would absolutely go back and tell them you are unhappy and want the ring sent to Tacori to be repaired or replaced.

MockingbirdWontSing

Rough_Rock
Re: Tacori Band Damaged by Jeweler, is this OK?

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't sure if Tacori would set it themselves. I tried to contact them directly, but they don't list a phone number. Since you've said that, I'll just tell the jeweler to send the stone to Tacori to be set. I imagine they'll need to make a new mount.

I'm also going to ask them to let me propose with the ring I have now, and replace it when the new ring is ready. I've been fooling around with this jeweler for almost a month, I don't have time to wait for another month.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that it should be sent to tacori to be fixed or replaced. I would not however propose with the current ring and then try to send it away. Most gals are not going to want to part with their e-rings right after receiving them. You might be better off proposing without a ring if you really want to be officially engaged and present the ring later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with MrsS, and also they will probably want the stone there to set. I think it is a real shame for you to have a delay like this, but it happens a lot. I just wish everyone would find this site before buying so they could avoid this kind of headache. Some have had difficulty getting Tacori to remake the rings. I hope your jeweler is cooperative!

MockingbirdWontSing

Rough_Rock
Ugh, I wish I had found this site earlier too. It's incredibly helpful. The jeweler has been very cooperative, I can tell they want my business. But whoever mounted the stone either doesn't know what he's doing, or didn't take the time to do it right. Either way, it's frustrating.

I'm sure the jeweler will make up for it. I'm glad they've at least been courteous and helpful, unlike some of the horror stories found on this site. I guess I'm lucky by comparison.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MockingbirdWontSing|1309452040|2959147 said:
Ugh, I wish I had found this site earlier too. It's incredibly helpful. The jeweler has been very cooperative, I can tell they want my business. But whoever mounted the stone either doesn't know what he's doing, or didn't take the time to do it right. Either way, it's frustrating.

I'm sure the jeweler will make up for it. I'm glad they've at least been courteous and helpful, unlike some of the horror stories found on this site. I guess I'm lucky by comparison.

I'm so sorry, but at least it's good that they will make it right. Definitely have them send it to Tacori. In fact, I thought if someone other than Tacori worked on the ring, it would void the warranty?

Good luck! It's a lovely ring!

MockingbirdWontSing

Rough_Rock
I visited the jeweler yesterday, and as expected, they were prepared to help me. They apologized for a couple problems with the ring (tool marks, light scratches) and explained that the "melting" of the prongs couldn't have been their fault because they don't use any heat to set stones. It was probably flashing left over from the casting process.

So, they called Tacori with me there, and we decided to ship the ring to them. The Tacori rep said they should be able to make the necessary repairs (the jeweler referred to it as a "full refurb") within 10 days. It will be close, but I should get it back before I want to propose. Hopefully, everything will go as planned.

Thanks again to the folks that commented, I appreciate your advice.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Aw, I'm happy that things are going to work out for you. I hadn't heard about having Tacori set the stone either, so this is good information to have. I'm happy too that you decided to wait for the ring to be finished before proposed to your g/f...we do hate to have to give up our rings for any reason!! ;( Congratulations!!! Cant wait to see pictures of your beauty! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is fantastic! How nice to hear a cooperative jeweler who did exactly the right thing! Now it had better get back before your proposal date!!!! Please come back and post pictures for us!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A burr is used to cut the seat in the prongs for stones to be set into... sometimes the metal removed by this process is pushed to the sides of the prongs and can look "melted" if it is not removed, and it should be removed by the jeweler prior to setting a stone... as noted, it is best to have the designer set center stones in their production, it maintains the validity of their lifetime warranty for workmanship and materials.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad your jeweler is going to ship it to Tacori!! It sounds very promising that your ring will make it back in time for your proposal. Please do come back with pictures once you get it and handshots once you propose!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results