shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori Replica with CADs

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Whoever is doing your CAD work may be reluctant to make it much more similar. Tacori holds copyrights to their designs and there are copyright laws preventing other designers from essentially stealing their work. I'm not clear on how those laws work, I believe that I heard that 20 or 30% of the design must differ from the original.

I'm curious though, if she wants a Tacori and you are trying to design an exact match, why didn't you just buy the Tacori?

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
I have a cushion, and the Tacori is for a round diamond. Also, the price difference. Maybe a smaller halo? Also, the beads look a little large for me. What do you think?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you change the diamond and then get her the ring she wants? This design is pretty.

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
It is tough because she wants an antique cushion with a tacori like the one above. Which one is pretty? The replica or the actual tacori?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure that Tacori can't set the cushion? I think that your CAD looks good. Keep in mind that they usually look a bit bulkier in the photos than the finished piece will. I really like the milgrain on it and like I said it will be much more delicate looking when it's finished. And yeah, maybe the halo could be a bit smaller, but it looks great even if you decide to keep it the size it is.

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I will check with my jeweler tomorrow.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
You know what I think would be gorgeous....if the milgrain was done in rose gold. I think that it would give it an unmistakable antique look and would be stunning next to an old cut cushion with it's big bold pastel flashes! Yum! :lickout:

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
Also thinking about making the sidestones a litt bit smaller.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saltydog22|1337136652|3196281 said:
It is tough because she wants an antique cushion with a tacori like the one above. Which one is pretty? The replica or the actual tacori?

I think both rings are pretty. Is there a Tacori she likes that will hold a cushion? Have you asked Tacori if they can set a cushion in the ring she likes? Don't get me wrong though the ring in the CAD looks very pretty too.

sleeprequired

Shiny_Rock
who does the CADS? can most jewelers do these? do online ones do it?

sgc3301

Rough_Rock
I'm in the same boat as you only my girl didn't ask or a tacori but her description and what I also like are best met by a tacori setting that would cost me 9k just for the setting. As a result, I am having a "tacori inspired" ring done as well. Christina is right that you probably can't get too much closer to the original without risking possible copyright infringement. As for what I can see, the halo should be smaller and tacori always has it set clearly below the girdle. Can't tell if yours is. That is a hell of a good looking CAD. As for the side of the side diamonds, did you see what they matched up with their center? I know mine has .30-.35 matched up with a 1.5-2. According to the info at since1910.com the side stones for the 2623 round small pave (rdsmp) the total carat weight for the side stones is .5 which I can't tell if that includes the little chips in the band as well as side stones as it lists the number of side stones as "varies."

sgc3301

Rough_Rock
Sorry I meant to also say their small setting fits rounds between .9 and 1.19. It can be set with cushions but there might be a charge. Mine was 900 to put a pear instead of an oval. A cushion however might be less. Since 1910 lists this setting in 18k at 4600 plus another 9 for platinum. If your diamond is bigger (up to 1.79) the side stones total weight is .68 and jumps to 6200 for white gold which I'm told tacori does a white gold very nicely. Anyway, great CAD and let us know what you do and show us the real thing!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
sleeprequired|1337152450|3196397 said:
who does the CADS? can most jewelers do these? do online ones do it?

Yes, there are online vendors that do CADS WF BGD BN all do. GOG might too, I know that they are doing custom work now. I'm sure that there are several BMs doing CADs as well but you'd have to inquire locally.

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
The halo diamonds are 1.2mm each, and the sidestones are 3.2-3.5mm each. Just comparing to the tacori the CADs look a little large. Any idea on the size of the Tacori stones for halo and side? Should I go to 1mm for halo and 3 for side? I also want it to flow nicely. The center stone is a 1.41 antique cushion that measures 6.74x6.60x4.38.

sgc3301

Rough_Rock
Your halo definitely looks bigger. If you're looking at the wrong setting though your ring will seem off. You said you want a tacori rdsmp. But a center stone of 1.41 isn't in their "small" category so they have side stones of about .35. I don't know the size of tacori's bloom but it is smaller I think. I don't know how much your setting is costing you but you should look into that estate if it's not much more and they say you can set a cushion easily. I think your cad looks great. If you're trying to get as close as possible you should try smaller bloom. How big are your side stones?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not have the milgrain done via CAD. I would have it hand finished with milgrain added after the casting. It will look more similar to the Tacori.

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
Side stones are 3.2-3.5mm. Halo is 1.2. What do you suggest I drop down to for those?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
holy moly that's elaborate.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
saltydog22|1337224807|3197101 said:
Side stones are 3.2-3.5mm. Halo is 1.2. What do you suggest I drop down to for those?
I think it's fine. Personally.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
If you're trying to replicate it exactly then the example that you posted doesn't have side stones. I know that Tacori makes a version of it with the sides though. Tacoris' halo are usually very small and delicate so again of you want an exact match then you should drop down to may .005s? I also agree with Gypsy about having the milgrain hand down after they have cast your ring, the milgrain will much sharper and uniform and less bumpy and possibly messy. You should definitely take a peak at the one that GOG is selling if she has her heart set on a true toacori I don't think that you will find a better price. Also the side stones are haloed and the stems are much more ornate than the ones being used in the CAD. I'm guessing that you are going to paying at least as much for the CAD as you would be the completed original piece. It's a no brainer to me. =) If your interested I recommended giving Jon a call very quickly because at that price I doubt that setting will be sitting there for long. I can't remember who posted about it, but nice find! :appl:

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input everyone. As of now I am going to make a few slight changes. I will post pics of the updated CAD.

1. Slightly smaller halo stones
2. Slightly smaller side stones
3. Ensure halo is set below girdle
4. Ask if the milgrain can be done after CAD

Any other ideas? Feel free to post. I really appreciate the feedback!

sgc3301

Rough_Rock
Hey salty, I just got my tacori inspired CAD and I also felt the halo was too big. My jeweler assured me that tacori uses 1.3 mm diamonds in its halo. I asked why do they look so big. The obvious answer is that the CAD is not to scale. I think gypsy or Christina said that before. Makes sense. I also asked of the mil grain would look more delicate and not like silver beads as you have in your CAD too and he assured me that the picture does not do the finished ring any justice. I will post mine when I get home if you want to compare. Just thought you'd like to know about the halo. Keep us posted!

saltydog22

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Please post! I will also post when it is complete.

diaomonds

Rough_Rock
Why would you buy her a fake if she really wants the original Tacori? They will make it for a cushion.

sgc3301

Rough_Rock
diaomonds|1337968497|3203686 said:
Why would you buy her a fake if she really wants the original Tacori? They will make it for a cushion.

i don't think that's a fair question and definitely not a helpful answer. i'm assuming he has done his homework and knows if he wants and/or can afford the tacori.

sgc3301

Rough_Rock
Why would anyone create an account just be negative and judgmental.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I know. It actually is not a FAKE but a really ring made of metal and diamonds, just like all the other rings out there that are also not FAKE. A fake ring would be made out of plastic and painted to look like gold. Anywhoo, this person is obviously a spammer because they just make two negative comments.

So, maybe Salty could have purchased the Tacori piece and call it a day, but it sounds like he went the custom route with intention. Still does not mean his ring is a fake.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results